How i am getting screwed by HIDextra.com. Thoughts please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy How i am getting screwed by HIDextra.com. Thoughts please!!

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an H.I.D kit from Hidextra.com for 57.00-Shipped! Great deal right? NOT!! The whole kit stopped working after just 2 weeks. Then customer service lies to me about a possible full refund. WTF?

Story: Bought the HID kit. Then when I took it to my installer, he told me that they were the cheapest HID kit on the market and not to waste my time with them. He also continued to show me the difference between the good one; Philips, and the ultra cheap one - HID Extra.

So to install them he charged me 40.00. Not bad considering he took off the front bumper to securely fasten the ballasts.

2 Weeks later, they stopped working. I called up the company and the lady told me that she would send me a new harness kit. If the kit still didn't work then she would issue me a complete refund. FYI: They charge a 25% restocking fee.

So I tried it out, and no luck. The kit still would not work. It cost me 20.00 to install the harness. We are now at $60.00 for labor. Mind you the first time the kit was installed my guy cut the harness head to splice into my stock fog light cable.

I called up HIDextra again to get the promised full refund and I was denied. The same lady told me that she is unable to issue me a full refund due to a miss-diagnosis. That's not my fault. I am out a total of $117.00 on a faulty HID kit.

Now, I am suppose to destroy the current ballasts that I have so she could send me new ones.

I have to pay to take them out, and then, to put them back in. That's another 40.00.

Guys, I am going through a nightmare with this cheap product by HIDextra. Spend the extra money on the Philips kit and get it right the first time.

I will keep you posted on what happens next. Thanks for reading this long post but I thought it would be helpful for those of you thinking about getting an HID kit from HIDextra.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
1. Sorry that you are having troubles with your kit. Though I don't own this exact kit, I've owned many others including philips kits and what I can tell you is...quality wise they are all a hit or miss.

2. If you are telling me both sides went out, then its very rare that a new kit would do that so quickly, so the first thing I'd check is my power supply and replace harness, so that was the right move. I would first just change the relay to see if thats the problem before i do all new wiring.

3. If its still not firing, then what I would do is ground it to the battery and see if they come on, cuz sometimes a bad ground can cause both not to turn on.

4. If its still not firing up then its equipment. Now when you said your guy had to cut the harness to splice into your stock wiring, most of this stuff is usually plug n play so .. I dont get why he had to do that, but I wont know till I see it. I rarely have to do that.

I know when most places say full refund they only mean to their product and are not going to reimburse you the cost of labor. This is why I do all this myself. Hope you get your situation resolved though.

I am currently installing HID's for a friend of mine as we speak in my garage.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the HIDExtra kit. I bought the 9006 HID conversion kit for my fogs and installed it myself. Aside from a malfunctioning ballast, there is no problem with the kit. I suggest you spend another $16 and get the 9006 harness (they sell it) and make it plug and play. I didn't have to splice a single wire on my TL to convert my halogen fogs to HID.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you tried to switch the wires around that go into the ballast? the cheaper kits work great, the only problems i've seen with them is that sometimes they mix the wires going into the ballast giving the proper side power.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Why would i get the 9006 kit when i have H8 bulbs?

I am not looking to get money back from labor. Labor is labor. I am looking to get money back from the original 58.00 that i paid for it.

If i purchased a kit from a local dealer then they would've fix it as many times as needed. With no extra charge.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
shit...this gets me worry man, i just orderd hid fog kit and hid headlight bulbs from them cuz i heard from everyone they are great.....
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 AM

yeah man be carefull with them. Their prices are great but not the service.

According to their warrantee, i have to destroy the ballast and send them a pic of it. Then they send me new ballasts.

I had that car for a few days; loaner car, it rides great. Suspension on the 2009 TSX rivals that of a TL-S. Very sturdy and soft at the same time.

Enjoy your TSX Ed!!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry.. I got the 9006 harness... you get the H8.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Hey sorry to jack this thread. But I saw you were selling your TSX that you bought from Paragon Acura.

I am actually considering buying a car from them but after reading so many horrible reviews I am really skeptical. I live 1 hour away and I don’t want to waste my time going to the dealership if its true they use bait n switch.
I wanted an unbias opinion. What was your experience and the 7 year/100k warranty does that start when you buy the car from paragon or has it already started?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have purchased 5 kits from them. I don't know why u have an installer for this. It sounds like u purchased the wrong kit in the first place. Either that or your installer doesn't know what they are doing? Cuz all of these kits are plug and play, no splicing of the harness. I would highly suggest getting someone else to install it if you can't. Go ahead and destroy the ballast and get another set. That's free right? Like other people have said, you may just need to change the way the plug is plugged into the ballast and try it again. This has happened to me before. But I really think it may be the way they installed it. All FIVE kits I have purchased work! And I have had them for 3-5 months now. Next time take pics of what ur installer is doing. Still makes no sense that they had to cut the harness if you bought the right kit.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM

When i bought my car at Paragon, they we good but as far as financing I dont know. I bought it cash. I dont have my TSX anymore because i traded it in for the TL-S that i have now.

I am going to start installing the kit myself. And yes i should have taken pictures.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bzyrice
I have purchased 5 kits from them. I don't know why u have an installer for this. It sounds like u purchased the wrong kit in the first place. Either that or your installer doesn't know what they are doing? Cuz all of these kits are plug and play, no splicing of the harness. I would highly suggest getting someone else to install it if you can't. Go ahead and destroy the ballast and get another set. That's free right? Like other people have said, you may just need to change the way the plug is plugged into the ballast and try it again. This has happened to me before. But I really think it may be the way they installed it. All FIVE kits I have purchased work! And I have had them for 3-5 months now. Next time take pics of what ur installer is doing. Still makes no sense that they had to cut the harness if you bought the right kit.
Plus 1
i never had an issue with them either, those kits are plug and play no need to bash a good company for something that you dont even know how to install yourself, its PLUG AND PLAY WTF! it get no easier.
i currently have the 9006 and the h8 with no issues. You might need to get somebody else to install it for you.
sorry if i sound rude or mean just my
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
When/if you decide to do it yourself post up and we will help u!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 PM

When i get another kit i'll post up pics. It's ok Acura_dipset_TL no hate here. I should have tried it myself. PnP means PnP.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 AM
socal WDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i say always do it right the first time and never cheap out on a part lol
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i feel ya on this one mine stoped working i brought some 800k for my fog lights and the right side doesnt work, and they never answer the phone when you call them i shouldof just brought some top brand hid