How Good is the Stock Factory Alarm System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Two Words, Get Paid!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How Good is the Stock Factory Alarm System?

Hey fellow TL owners/members. I had a question on my mind lately. And It was about the Factory Alarm system that comes stock with the TL.

I have a 2004 Base model TL Automatic and was wondering if the Factory Alarm system holds up pretty decent. Like have you guys actually tested it out or had it go off due to people trying to steal it. I worry because I live in a city that's been #1 on the list for car theft for the past 3 years. You can't own a Acura or a Honda without fear of it being stolen every time you take your eyes off of it. Its that bad over here..

I just wanted to hear your guys experience with the Factory Alarm before adding extra security myself. Also if someone has successfully stolen your armed TL without hearing your Alarm go off please do tell.

Thank you for your feedback in advance

Last edited by ZonerYang; 03-27-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Fresno? i'll keep an eye out for your car
The following users liked this post:
ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
There was a member here who had his car stolen but because he had lojack, he was able to recover his car very shortly. I'm not sure if the alarm was triggered.

If you feel like you need extra security, there is a DIY for shock sensors:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/%5Bdiy%5D-add-some-security-shock-sensors-factory-alarm-855658/

And if you're worried that someone will steal your wheels, there's a tilt sensor alarm that you could probably install as well.

Viper alarm systems seem to be a popular choice here too.

If you can, the best way to sleep at night peacefully is probably to park your car in a garage. But I'm assuming that's not an option because you're asking us about car alarms.

Or....you can do this every night you leave your car out:

ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
stock alarm? not good enough lol my window got smashed and the thieves took my stuff. alarm never went off because they werent dumb enough to open the door.

this is what happens when you have stock alarm:
ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Two Words, Get Paid!

Originally Posted by jkopuffs
Fresno? i'll keep an eye out for your car
STAHP IT! lol

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
stock alarm? not good enough lol my window got smashed and the thieves took my stuff. alarm never went off because they werent dumb enough to open the door.

this is what happens when you have stock alarm:
Oh wow. So window sensors are a must then :\
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^glass sensors, but yes. they would have came in handy.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I would definitely invest in a real alarm, or even wiring sensors to the OEM alarm. Shock sensors will go off if they bump it, tilt sensors will go off if the lift it (I can't even get my wheel off the ground before it goes off) and a glass sensor would be a good idea too.

Last edited by Undying Dreams; 03-27-2013 at 08:30 AM.
ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I somehow set mine off once closing my trunk, I guess it armed while it was open and got mad at me for slamming it. Anyways I'd say it's more of a nuisance than anything. Do people even pay attention to those? Lo Jack/booby trap it or don't bother.
ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GET A VIPER. I installed the 5901 a month after I bought my car. It comeswith 1 shock sensor, but the system can handle add-ons.. another shock sensor,proximity alarm, and more... 2 way remote is good it gives you a lot of optionsfor example I got the guys at best buy to set it up so I can roll up ALL thewindows (including sunroof) with the viper remote. The only down side is therange is really not good if your car is not in your line of sight, but therange is 100x better than the factory remote.
But there is a mobile app (for an extra fee plus install) that will send alertsto your smart phone anywhere as long as you have bars on your phone. The stockshock sensor is good. But I’m probably going to install another one. The 2wayremote is boss if anything happens to the car break-in, shock sensor was triggeredI get an alert on my remote. Remote started included tell you the temp of thecar, an option to start the car to charge the battery if your battery is closeto dying and much more I can’t remember.
I sleep much better now. Plus my insurance is lower because I have two alarmson the car.

ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderrr
GET A VIPER. I installed the 5901 a month after I bought my car. It comeswith 1 shock sensor, but the system can handle add-ons.. another shock sensor,proximity alarm, and more... 2 way remote is good it gives you a lot of optionsfor example I got the guys at best buy to set it up so I can roll up ALL thewindows (including sunroof) with the viper remote. The only down side is therange is really not good if your car is not in your line of sight, but therange is 100x better than the factory remote.
But there is a mobile app (for an extra fee plus install) that will send alertsto your smart phone anywhere as long as you have bars on your phone. The stockshock sensor is good. But I’m probably going to install another one. The 2wayremote is boss if anything happens to the car break-in, shock sensor was triggeredI get an alert on my remote. Remote started included tell you the temp of thecar, an option to start the car to charge the battery if your battery is closeto dying and much more I can’t remember.
I sleep much better now. Plus my insurance is lower because I have two alarmson the car.
i wanted to get a viper myself for my 08 kbp S but i was wondering if that will VOID my manufacturer warranty which i still have 15k or 2 yrs left on.... ??????
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by romeotl3
i wanted to get a viper myself for my 08 kbp S but i was wondering if that will VOID my manufacturer warranty which i still have 15k or 2 yrs left on.... ??????

No will not cause a problem. I brought my car into the dealer many times andhad no problem. I just got my CD changer, and Bluetooth replaced under warrantywould have cost me almost 3000$ . Every time I give the dealer my keys I remindthem to use the viper to unlock the car. I think I even asked the dealer if itwould void warranty and they said no. So its all good.

I had the system for over a year now, and its great. in the summer whenever I walk away from the car everyone tells me I forgot to rollup the windows. Then I roll them up with the remote like a boss.. lmao..
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunderrr:
romeotl3 (03-27-2013), ZonerYang (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderrr
No will not cause a problem. I brought my car into the dealer many times andhad no problem. I just got my CD changer, and Bluetooth replaced under warrantywould have cost me almost 3000$ . Every time I give the dealer my keys I remindthem to use the viper to unlock the car. I think I even asked the dealer if itwould void warranty and they said no. So its all good.

I had the system for over a year now, and its great. in the summer whenever I walk away from the car everyone tells me I forgot to rollup the windows. Then I roll them up with the remote like a boss.. lmao..
lol awsome info, i still havent switched the warranty from the last owner to me yet but he told me it should be as simple as walking into the dealership and telling them to swap it? hopefully yes! and do you know if i do the "lock pic" on the navi (in order to plays dvd's on the front screen) would that void my warranty?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Two Words, Get Paid!

Nice! I was also researching the VIPER alarm system and considering it once I get the money. How much was did they charge to install the VIPER alarm for you Thunderrr?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It could be worse, you could live in Earlimart or Delano where the thieves come from.

The stock alarm is so good that I rotated all 4 tires once and then realized the alarm had been set the whole time. I've looked into getting the add on glass and motion detectors to go with the factory alarm. I only want the one remote and alarm, I'm not doing the 2 remote thing or having the car randomly not start.

I have nearly $10k in audio equipment and it took me a few years to find a house when I moved back to Bako so you can imagine how paranoid I was living in an apartment with no garage and $1800 retail big ass tweeters just sitting on the dash with Velcro.
ZonerYang (03-27-2013)