High pitch sound from stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High pitch sound from stereo

A high pitch noise is heard from my stereo when the car is cold and it is cold out. It I turn the volume down all the way, the noise cannot be heard. If I turn it up at even on "1", the noise can be heard (like a small amount of feedback) and goes away after several minutes when the car and/or stereo have warmed up a little. I have an 07 TL.

Anyone with this problem?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Same thing happens to me. After a minute or so the "whine" goes away.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 435 Likes on 245 Posts
how cold does it have to be to notice this? I live in Florida, and my car is garage kept, so I think the coldest start it's had was 45F

are you on Aux input?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Sounds like it could be interference from you HFL. Do you notice this sound when you have a disc playing or just when the radio is on?.. The difference will determine the culprit.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 08 TL does this too when it's cold and the radio is on. Goes away when you turn the stereo off. I first noticed it when it was 3 degrees a couple weeks ago. It goes away a couple minutes after startup and only happens when it's very cold.

is there a fix or service bulletin for this?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Sounds like it could be interference from you HFL. Do you notice this sound when you have a disc playing or just when the radio is on?.. The difference will determine the culprit.
I was thinking about this, too. There is a TSB fix for the HFL interference "whine". All it involves is cutting a few wires and the HFL "whine" goes away. May be worth contacting the dealer for if you are still under warranty.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Cruisin'

I'll have to try playing a CD again, but I believe the high pitch sound occurs with either the radio of CD. As far as temperature goes, I've parked my car in a garage at 40 degrees and heard it. Whether its below freezing or slightly above, I hear it. But I does go away after a minute or two.

SB 07-013 deals with HFL whine from speakers, but that's only when you press the HFL button and the pitch various with RPM speed. I don't think this problem is the same become its appears to be temperature related. I'll ask the dealer more about it next time its in for an oil change.

At least I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'll keep you posted if I find a solution.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Racer

could be a ground wire issue, maybe upgrade to a thicker gauge kit?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

anyone find a fix yet? it's 14 degrees here today and the high pitch is back!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:06 AM
4th Gear

I live in Ontario, Canada where it's really cold all winter! My '07 TL does have the same problem in cold temps with the high pitched whine from the stereo and it happens whether I'm listening to the radio or a cd. It lasts for about a minute and then is gone. Funny though, this is my second winter but there was no problem last year. I'll have to ask my dealer about it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
4th Gear

any other help on this? I have a 2007 TL... its amazing how annoying that sound is ... ... and it can last up to 10 min (depending on how cold it is outside) Dealer is telling me that its "normal" to have the radio whine like this... they have looked at it a few times now... but I am not hopeful...

I would love to hear from anyone else on this... particularly if you have a car that doesnt make this sound when it sits outside in very cold weather...(less than 32 degrees)
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

It's almost a year later now and I still hear that high pitch sound. I've been turning the volume down all the way until the stereo warms up, then the sound goes away. The duration of that noise seems to depend on how cold it is outside.

Keep us updated if anyone finds the solution for this. I just don't want them to replace the radio with another one (probably a refurbished one to boot) if the stereo continues to produce that same noise. I'm afraid something else might start sqeaking and rattling as I have my share of those problems as well in the past.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 PM
4th Gear

they actually replaced my radio... but same problem exists... its funny... because with the amount of problems i have had with my TL ... i have driven every other model / year Acura as loaners... and the TL is the ONLY one that has this problem.

I am going back in one more time on Saturday... but I fear this is a "Feature" of the TL... probably a backup to the thermometer... the squeal lets you know its freakin cold outside... and that your Acura has a crappy radio.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

Is there anyone out there... that when they start their TL on a cold (less than 30 degree day) does not hear this high pitched squeal???

Dealer says... its working as intended... I did hear it in another 07 TL on their lot... but I have not heard it on any other loaner car I have gotten from the dealer.

I just want to know if ANYONE out there... has a clean sounding 07 TL on cold mornings!!!

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by kesslti
Is there anyone out there... that when they start their TL on a cold (less than 30 degree day) does not hear this high pitched squeal???

Dealer says... its working as intended... I did hear it in another 07 TL on their lot... but I have not heard it on any other loaner car I have gotten from the dealer.

I just want to know if ANYONE out there... has a clean sounding 07 TL on cold mornings!!!

Thanks
Are you sure this is from the radio & not the engine?? I've never heard this in mine. I get radio interference with the rear defroster on but I've never heard a high pitch squeal from the radio.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 AM
8th Gear

Ive got the same exact problem. If there is a TSB out on this and im a few hundred miles over the warranty you think theyll fix it? Im going in for my sub rattle next week which i had checked before the 50k warranty passed and they didnt properly fix it, also just recently had the check engine light problem fixed with a "reprogram". Wondering if i should add this to the list for them.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrsgnn401
Ive got the same exact problem. If there is a TSB out on this and im a few hundred miles over the warranty you think theyll fix it? Im going in for my sub rattle next week which i had checked before the 50k warranty passed and they didnt properly fix it, also just recently had the check engine light problem fixed with a "reprogram". Wondering if i should add this to the list for them.
I would add it to the list. The dealer will likely work with you if you are only a few hundred miles out of warranty.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
4th Gear

they dont have a fix for it... because as i was told "this is how 2007 and 2008 TLs sound when started cold"

I have never heard it from any other car... and is probably related to changes to the stereo for that model year (MP3 support maybe?)

This is definitely an issue with the radio... and not the engine... and at this point is probably a class-action type of approach... because I am not optimistic that there is even a fix for this... if every single radio has this issue... the only way to get around it is to get a different model / model year car.

very disappointing to have this type of issue with such an expensive car (or at least its very expensive for me)... interested in other thoughts... but I am probably going to call Acura directly now to see what they say...
Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kesslti
they dont have a fix for it... because as i was told "this is how 2007 and 2008 TLs sound when started cold"

I have never heard it from any other car... and is probably related to changes to the stereo for that model year (MP3 support maybe?)

This is definitely an issue with the radio... and not the engine... and at this point is probably a class-action type of approach... because I am not optimistic that there is even a fix for this... if every single radio has this issue... the only way to get around it is to get a different model / model year car.

very disappointing to have this type of issue with such an expensive car (or at least its very expensive for me)... interested in other thoughts... but I am probably going to call Acura directly now to see what they say...
My 03 RSX used to make this noise when parked outside in cold weather. One occasion when the weather was like 3 below, the audio was snapping and popping until the car warmed up. You can hear it when the volume is on 0. My 06 TSX did it too but not as bad as the RSX. My 07 TL does it occasionally when cold but I rarely leave my car outside overnight.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

My 2007 TL does the same thing and it is really annoying. I had it into the dealership and they could hear the noise, but they could not figure out how to fix it.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2004 Acura TL that has soft static on the rear speaker/s when the vehicle is cold such as after a cold night. The static goes away after about 5 minutes of the engine running. I discovered that the static also disappears when the ignition is turned off and the radio is operating off the battery only. The selected audio source doesn't make a difference. I also get the static if I engage the bluetooth phone system. I can't figure out what part is defective. I would love to find out a solution if someone has figured this out.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

I took mine in to the dealer and the fixed it. bill stated performed bulletin 07-013 7370c4/06403 and it fixed it.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 AM
10th Gear

Hi, i have a 2004 TL A-Spec and i live in Puerto Rico, so its not really too cold on mornings(maybe 70f) and I'm having this problem for about 7 months now. Has anyone found the source or a solution for this? Does anyone knows if the 07-013 7370c4/06403 bulletin fixes it and what it is about?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Trace
I have a 2004 Acura TL that has soft static on the rear speaker/s when the vehicle is cold such as after a cold night. The static goes away after about 5 minutes of the engine running. I discovered that the static also disappears when the ignition is turned off and the radio is operating off the battery only. The selected audio source doesn't make a difference. I also get the static if I engage the bluetooth phone system. I can't figure out what part is defective. I would love to find out a solution if someone has figured this out.
I am experiencing this same issue with our 2004 TL. I would love to know if it is the amp, head unit or something else. I am planning on using this car for a demo for my brand new car audio venture (from my home) and this will not fly where I live.

Last edited by niebur3; 12-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 AM
5th Gear

I am having the same problem with my radio. i have a 2004 tl with 65k miles, i am going to replace the spark plugs and wires to see if this solves the static radio interference.
Any opinions?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by john_aviation
I am having the same problem with my radio. i have a 2004 tl with 65k miles, i am going to replace the spark plugs and wires to see if this solves the static radio interference.
Any opinions?
Issue is completely unrelated to spark plugs. Also the TL doesn't have spark plug wires it's coil over plug.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Are u guys running RCA cables and power cable on the same side?If u are try running the power on driver side and RCA passanger side.

Last edited by venom619; 12-10-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Na
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 AM
5th Gear

[QUOTE=venom619;12552158]Are u guys running RCA cables and power cable on the same side?If u are try running the power on driver side and RCA passanger side.[/QUOTE]

In my case i have not mod the radio, everything is stock.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM
5th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Majofo
Issue is completely unrelated to spark plugs. Also the TL doesn't have spark plug wires it's coil over plug.
I read online that the ignition system can cause static radio interference once the insulation of the wire are going bad. I think that replacing the coil pack and/or ignition wires is an easy approach to try to solve the problem.
My radio is stock, speakers stock, no electrical mods done at all.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I read online that the ignition system can cause static radio interference once the insulation of the wire are going bad. I think that replacing the coil pack and/or ignition wires is an easy approach to try to solve the problem.
Interesting thought. Yeah, my stereo is completely stock as well and I am having this problem. I have tried to troubleshoot some this week. I put in an aftermarket HU and hooked it to a non-factory speaker and no noise. I also tried tapping the speaker wires before the amp and hooking to a non-factory speaker (and while the volume was extremely low), no noise. So, I came up with either the factory amp or the system picking up interference between the HU and amp, which would follow suite with your possible scenario. Please let me know what you find out!! I'll even give you my phone number if it is easier.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Definitely not the culprit.. plus replacing the coil packs is NOT cheap!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts on what it could be? Could it have to do with the ELD system?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiThng
could be a ground wire issue, maybe upgrade to a thicker gauge kit?
Why the need for this when these cars radios are stock? lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 AM
10th Gear

i have an '04 acura tl

i have the problem on all outlets, AM, FM, CD, iPod and on the phone!!

i went to the dealership, told them about the problem, and they couldn't fix it so they installed a renewed radio and that couldn't remove the static.

did anybody try changing the coil, if so, did it work?!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 AM
10th Gear

i remember when the guy walked with me 2 the car 2 check if the static is gone, he told me that if its not gone, it could be the tint, which i find kinda weird. he said coz i have the very back window tinted, the tint covers the antenna, but if it covers the antenna, why am i getting static on the cd, iPod and on the phone?!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Alaa22
i remember when the guy walked with me 2 the car 2 check if the static is gone, he told me that if its not gone, it could be the tint, which i find kinda weird. he said coz i have the very back window tinted, the tint covers the antenna, but if it covers the antenna, why am i getting static on the cd, iPod and on the phone?!
What??? The tint??? Thats a new one to me... Jejeje
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM
10th Gear

i know man, it didnt go through my head!!
and now im stuck with this extremely annoying static not knowing what 2 do with it
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Alaa22
Originally Posted by luisro
What??? The tint??? Thats a new one to me... Jejeje
Many compounds that make up ceramic and metallic tint can cause frequency dependent interference.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

But if the tint was the culprit, then why would it only be a problem when the weather gets cold? I really can't believe no one has figured out the problem yet. It just doesn't make sense. Obviously the car's electrical systems are under more pressure when the temp is so low. I have talked to so many people about this and it seems to be an unsolved mystery. Please someone solve this thing!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Cruisin'

My car has this exact problem! Hoping for a solution.

Quick Reply: High pitch sound from stereo