high output alternator ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PHUQ2
---but at Idle the alt was only giving me 10.5v and wouldn't keep my batts charged. I learned not to idle but I dont want those kinds of problems again.
That seems to be a common problem with HO alts. I've heard of people changing the size of the pulley wheel to increase rotations of the alt at idle. Only problem is at high rpms (7000 or so) you can burn out the alt (at least that's what has been reported). I never run the rpms that high, so I think I'll be safe. Does the dealer have the part #? I'm not doing my upgrade until May, so I haven't started doing research yet...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

I called ohiogen.com I spoke with a man @ my local audio shop (empress audio) he said that they had a verry informative display at the sema show this year. ive been to their web site and it was good. Then I spoke with them on the phone. The man told me that in the beginning there was a trial and error stage that they went through where there was low vlotage at idle. so they lowered the amperage to increase the voltage at idle. to get the best of both worlds. This was not the company that I purchased my first alt from. That was excessiveamperage.com. out of dothan alabama. I should have known... I have had nothing but bad luck from that damn city. I was arrested there once for saying "shit" while walking out of a club. But any way. he said that he needs the OE number and the manufacture name. from the origional. The part number from acura or honda will not work. Mine is an 07 TL S and his puter only shows till 06. Maybe if your car is older he will have more info on hand.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

....if your car is older he will have more info on hand.
I have an '05, which company should I contact? Sounds like they have made adjustments to compensate for previous problems...thanks for the info.

If you have a local dealer, maybe they would let you look at a new alt. in the box so you can get the info. you need.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Intermediate

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I have a friend @ the acura dealer. Maybe he would let me look at one to see. But I havent tried yet and im thinking that it is prolly a special order part and not on hand. I would use ohiogen.com.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I have a friend @ the acura dealer. Maybe he would let me look at one to see. But I havent tried yet and im thinking that it is prolly a special order part and not on hand. I would use ohiogen.com.
Thanks. I may go down to my shop an ask. I will let you know if they have something. I'll also call my friend who is in the business who is a honda cert. mechanic and see if he can get me anything.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I highly recommend ohio generator...their product and their support is top notch!!!

-Jason
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Pro

Where are those progress pics and VIDEO!!!

-Jason
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Here is another thought on HO Alt's...comes from a guy with more trophies/experience then most...He's a member of Team Zapco, so he know's the equipment inside and out...He was responding directly to a question I had about my system. I especially like the "Teenager at a red light" example

"Most SQ systems only use a small amount of the available power most of the time. If your really hammering on the bass for long periods of time, like an spl vehicle or a teenager at a red light then your current draw will be high enough for an alt. upgrade. Otherwise you'll prolly be ok with a battery upgrade and maybe an auxillary battery in the back somewhere.

I've had 2-4k watt systems on my power supply and they generally draw 16-22 amps of current at 14.4 volts at normal listening levels. At full tilt these systems rarely exceed 40 amps at dynamic peaks. My modest system of 1200 watts draws around 8 amps at normal listening levels and about 18-22 at full tilt.

Most comp vehicles that i'm familiar with don't have upgraded alternators. If it's in your budget it sure won't hurt though."

Just some food for thought...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

get a solenoid an extra battery and have fun with your 2 15's....i agree with CS tho and my opinion is the same....ditch it and go more efficient....you can get more with smaller if you calculate correctly. the ho alt. wont do much good except blow the electrical in the car. you can only get so much power out of a small motor. guys this isnt war of who built the biggest system and lets show it off reality show....cs i like your time machine
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Pro

lol...another shot of the time machine...and yes that is 6 batts in the back and 3 up front!

-Jason
Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

the reason i say youd burn out your electrical is because the more power you push.... the more the electrical components recieve and if its there.... its eating it up... you need to be careful when upgrading it also... if you push the car over 16 volts intentionally or not.... the onboard computers cant handle that and either shut down or blow... works like that with amperes and voltage....when you change the pulley on the alt.'s you're taking a big risk as well because you dont know how hard its being pushed and yes permature death to it occurs or burning of the electrical components (rectifiers etc)occurs the oem alt can push up to 20Volts and a lot more amperes than what its giving out now but it was engineered for a specific reason to be the way it is. CS im sure knows this stuff already hes MECP as well... id just be careful... all i can say is make your calculations carefully and always keep in mind......measure 3 times cut once. lol
Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Safety Car

and jason how heavy is that amp????
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
... guys this isnt war of who built the biggest system and lets show it off reality show....
The problem with thinking you are the biggest baddest...there is always someone bigger and badder...

http://www.zapco.com/forum.php Go to the "your installs" forum and the VW Touran by Michael Muller thread on the first page.

This guy is running 15 Zapco 9.0's. Depending on how everything is set-up, it could be as much at 33,000 watts. Hopefully this link works, it is one bass a$$ install, very clean, professional, high class
Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well mr. cswbiggs, maybe you should do your homework before you talk about efficiency..... My fosgate amp is over 77% efficient. And is a class BD wich uses 3 power rails to make it more efficient and draw less current. I know that JL audio has you whipped but they dont make amps that are more than 1000 watts. And if they did they would prolly only be 2ohm stable like kickers zx series. I just bought this amp and I have studied ever specification for almost every amp on the market. including; JL , alpine, kicker, Phoenix gold, well pretty much every CEA certified amp. and not excluding amps like daytona and the thesis by cadence.So when you hear your windows at your house start to tremble...... be well aware that my TL has just entered the your city limits.
Ive personaly never built one that was 53 cu. ft. but i have built one that was 24 cu. ft. and could fit a dismembered human body in. Ha! And ive also built a quarter camper to fit over it oldschool like. but that was probably before your time.Really though I love my systems and my equipment is top notch.Everyone has their own personal preffs. if you would like to show me hows its done you can come out to my place and build my system for me.Gopple-Damp-It-Turkey-Blaster.
Have you seen cswbiggs TL Vid....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

PHUQ2 Id like to agree with you for the fosgate amps... and to some degree I do...but since they went commercial with selling their equipment to best buy and all those retail stores the quality has gone down the drain.... id like to see one rockford amp that you can take and just connect a wire from speaker terminal to speaker terminal and crank the shit out of it without a problem....JL enables that. Granted Rockfords power is unreal but a majority of people dont need all that and dont even realize it til its too late. the 1000watt JL is really cranking 1290 watts..... its not a lot of power but it sure makes shit shake.....plus they design amps based on their speaker designs.....so if the sub handles 1000watts the amp will give it 1000 and no more because it doesnt need more than that to fully operate.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Pro

that amp was heavy enough to require a small army to move it...lol...it's about as heavy as some 60 inch plasma sets i've installed...definitely a two man mover!!

but the power was amazing...

Scope reported 8350 Watts x 1 @ 4 OHMS...WOW!!! that's with a cd -5db @ 50hz track!!

-Jason
Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

hahahahhahaa !!!!! thats siiiick!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
If anyone needs a contact or someone to work with Ohio Gen let me know... they're within a stone's throw from where I live
Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnc2000
If anyone needs a contact or someone to work with Ohio Gen let me know... they're within a stone's throw from where I live
JNC, I'll let you know. I'm getting feedback for people I trust that even w/ 4k of power I won't need it.

How is you car coming along? By the way, I still have an extra set of headlights if you need them.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
My project's on hold right now. Partly because it's winter time... partly because I'm getting married next week, I'm moving to Texas within ~90 days, and because I'm going to be a father by autumn

Life's kinda crazy right now... oh yea, I got rear-ended by a drunk last week too.. not bad but I'll need a new bumper and a-spec lip....

Back on topic though...
Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Fallen Corpsman

OP, Love your avatar! LOL is she wearing edible ones? =P
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

hey there.

hey all if anyone is still there??? Its been a while since i have checked up on my thread here. I have now; and wow we are haveing a lot of good responces. Thanks to all of you. Here is what I have/am doing... sorry for the attitude cswbiggs. you were right. My subs did suck. And that is why I sold them. All 4 Of them. I Just received my replacement in the mail today. I went with one 18" fi btl series. I am sticking to my guns on the t20001bd amp. And I am going to drive my mids and highs with a 25th anniversery power 1000. The 2 amps are the same size and and should compliment each other well. It will take a few weeks after work to complete the encloseure. I am going to build it one piece at a time inside the trunk. It will take the whole trunk to come up with the 8 cu.ft. needed It will be vented @ 32 hrtz. I have already used 2 bulk kits of dynamat to ensure that there will be no rattles and max spl. I still havent bought an alternator yet. I am sure that I will need a new alt. When I had the t20001 running the 2 L7's 15's the power surge while at idle sitting in traffic blacked out my nav screen twice. I had to disconnect the batt cables and cross them to discharge the cars capacitors and reset everything. I will be posting pics soon. wish me luck.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Another FI owner..good stuff
Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Any update?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a yellow top sitting her but when you have 2 33lb. 15's in the trunk and a box built of 3/4 in. mdf oh and did i mentiom my 33lb. amp . weight has become an issue. the yellow top weighs in @ 60 or so lbs. I dont want my head lights to light up the moon for yall to see. But that would be kinda funny ......everytime my bass hitts ; the moon would dim a little for all the world to see. {strobe moon} trance to the beat!!!
i had to stop building until i get adjustable coilovers. the weight is just getting quite ridiculous.