High Definition Mobile Audio Demo Car 2004 Acura TL - Dynaudio/ARC/MS-8 *Pics Galore*

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Will post more pics on Tuesday. Not done yet but getting close. I have to have a 2nd ankle surgery which got scheduled for Monday. I have plenty of time to update pics after that.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Holy mother...you are a master. I'm guessing you do this for a living? Absolutely amazing work! Thank you for sharing/documenting for the casual Diy'er!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Good luck with the surgery. Can't wait to see the updates. Can't wait to try my Dyns also. I got so excited I put them in my sig before I've had a chance to install them.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
awesome work so far
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by niebur3
Here is an update....

The kicks are done and just need to be mounted in the car. Here are the pics of the completed kicks - with grills!

more to come...

I think someone needs to build me a set of kicks! those are sweet.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Wow, great thread. I did a DIY on my system but WISH that I had your abilities. All I did was replace the head unit with a double din, repaced all factory pseakers and added amms with a JL sub in the trunk.

I especially love the work you did to the center speaker and kick panels. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Jerry - Thank You for the awesome kicks, They look incredible and provide a great mount location, once everything is done and tuning started is where the truth be told,and mids in the kicks is right! I'm looking forward to the TRU amp's (4100S stage IV & 2200S stage IV+) going in for the front stage, The PHASS drivers are really some of the most musical I've heard to date, I still really like the dynaudio's, I had the esotec F&R in my first install, when I got my late started in car audio at 50, Its been a process of finding what works well and what is simply a failure, With your assistance I think We've got a HOME RUN ! Your work and process to document is very thorough and informative that many here find useful and helpful.

I''ll reply tomorrow here with pics for others to see as well your fine craftsmanship !!!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
Jerry - Thank You for the awesome kicks, They look incredible and provide a great mount location, once everything is done and tuning started is where the truth be told,and mids in the kicks is right! I'm looking forward to the TRU amp's (4100S stage IV & 2200S stage IV+) going in for the front stage, The PHASS drivers are really some of the most musical I've heard to date, I still really like the dynaudio's, I had the esotec F&R in my first install, when I got my late started in car audio at 50, Its been a process of finding what works well and what is simply a failure, With your assistance I think We've got a HOME RUN ! Your work and process to document is very thorough and informative that many here find useful and helpful.

I''ll reply tomorrow here with pics for others to see as well your fine craftsmanship !!!
Thanks soooo much for the kind words and I am thrilled you are happy with the kicks. Your combo is going to be amazing!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Time for updates...A few of you know I have been battling an ankle injury since last June and had to have surgery in November. I was told Wednesday that I needed a second surgery to repair nerve damage from the 1st surgery, so I have been working like a dog to try and finish the car. The car is not finished and I had the surgery yesterday. Here is an update on everything I did get completed and at this point, it is very close to being done.

The tweeters (Dynaudio MD102's) were installed in the factory location. I removed the factory grill and (after trimming the inside hole a little) installed them in the factory location. I covered them in grill cloth just to maintain the theme of the installation.

I know, just rubberbands....well, why make it harder than it really is. I was going to use hot glue, but didn't want to leave any residue.

Next were the door speakers. I just made some spacers from 3/4 mdf and sealed the wood with rubberized undercoating. I did use cascade gasket material between the spacer and door and between speaker and spacer.

Pretty simple. More to come....
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

The rear deck was quite interesting. The Acura's rear deck is enclosed from the bottom side. So, you have to do everything from the top (unless you are willing to cut out a ton of metal) and then you have a seatbelt in the way on one side of the left speaker and metal from the enclosed section in the way on the other side. So, in order to install a set of components, I had to get a little creative.

The rear deck had to be modified so that the grill opening already there could be utilized fully.

Here is the grill beforehand:

This is the opening the factory gives you:

Here is how I opened the space:

The Dynaudio MW162GT's fit right into the opening but like I said, there was no room to cut for the tweeters, so I surface mounted mounted them under the factory shelf.

I used PVC to make a nice thin mounting ring. I then secured the ring to the rear shelf.

I had to shave off part of the terminals so they would fit.

Mounted in place.

I then reinstalled the package shelf and it fits perfect.

Last edited by niebur3; 03-01-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Time for the Infinite Baffle. After a very long process of pros and cons, I decided that I would go with an Infinite Baffle over the Aperiodic Membrane. The Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 can perform exceptionally in either. I read that flexing is the biggest problem with these (have only done sealed, ported and AP's in the past), so I tried the best I could to prevent possible flexing.

I first made the front baffle out of 3/4" mdf.

I then glued and screwed (in about 20+ places) another piece of 3/4" mdf.

I also attached a 3rd piece of 3/4" mdf in the center around where the sub mounts for more support.

I then decided to attach the baffle to the braces.

Here it is covered in carpet and mounted to the braces. I also sealed any and all openings between the cab and trunk using Cascade Audio products and expanding foam. The baffle was attached to the braces using a total of 8 lag bolts/washers (4 per side).

Here is the trim ring I made for the front grill.

I then cut a piece of metal grill material, secured, and wrapped the entire grill in grill cloth.

Here it is.

This is what you see with the center of the arm rest down!

Only the trunk and finishing installing into the dash, all of which progress has been made.

Last edited by niebur3; 03-01-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I almost forgot. I also installed a switch to be able to independently turn off the rear monitors and leave the front still going (incase the kids are not with us and we are on a trip or something).

Simple switch install, designed to look factory.
Before:

After:

The back of the switch with quick disconnects soldered on:

I also finished with the modification to the front HVAC display. In order to move it, I had to extend the display from the board, add new led's, and extend the the wires for the HVAC controls. Again, this display will now go above the Aftermarket HU, right below the HVAC controls and will allow me to bury the factory HU display in the dash.

Original Display:

Display extended from the board:

Connectors cut and extended. All wires were soldered and heat shrink applied.

This is truly it for now!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow. you are doing a great job. The end is in sight, it seems!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, some days I will spend many hours on one little custom piece and those are the days it seems to never end. But overall, then end is definitely in sight!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Wow, that has got to sound amazing. I've read only one review of that sub IB but it made me want to save for 6 months to get one.

Can't wait for a review. I'm also interested to hear if you have any issues with the wood wanting to crack or make noise from the chassis flexing. Mine was noisy at first and eventually developed a small crack. But I also did a quickie temp install with the W6 on a single 3/4" piece of MDF just to hold me over till the IB15s come in. Where I think I went wrong and you did not was trying to mount the baffle to both the braces and the deck, I think I made the MDF a structural piece of the chassis by doing that.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I like how that's mounted in the back of the seat, attached to those bars. I don't really understand what that particular unit does but I like it. I know nothing about car audio, like absolutely nothing. What kind of sub can be mounted like that? Sorry for noob question
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Team Owner

Infinite baffle... I don't want to derail Niebur's thread but look it up. By far my favorite for several reasons.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

1 more pic to update:

My foot will be this way for 7-10 days, no weight at all. Luckily they gave me some nice pills to go along with it!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

I couldn't see the pics of the HVAC display mod on my ipod for some reason but I see them now. I love what you have done there. The only way I would do the aftermarket head unit would be this way you did it. Where you can hide the radio display, and not look at it on the dash when it's all blank. Love what you are doing and that like I said I know nothing about this stuff but I am getting into it after reading this thread.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great components for a three way set, you never considered putting them in the a pillars?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

1 more pic to update:

My foot will be this way for 7-10 days, no weight at all. Luckily they gave me some nice pills to go along with it!
Damn! Get well soon! WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED???
Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick337
Great components for a three way set, you never considered putting them in the a pillars?
I considered putting the mid in the pillar but really wanted an oem look and the mid would stick out way too far. My other car has pillars and they have their own pros/cons. Plus, I haven't done kicks in years .

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Damn! Get well soon! WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED???
You asked.....I play tennis (competitively) and was playing a friend of mine when I severely sprained my ankle (I thought). I went to an Emergicare the following day and they did x-rays and said negative and that it was a severe sprain and to be on crutches for a few days. I waited a month and started to get back into tennis again and would have severe pain when stepping hard and I had no acceleration forward at all. In Sept, when my wife started her new job and we had decent health care coverage, I went to an ortho guy and he did x-rays and told me they were negative and that he thought I had a ligament problem. I then had a MRI and they found the surface of the Talus was cracked (upper foot/ankle bone) - Apparently, I sprained my ankle so bad that the Talus smashed into the Fibula and cracked . I was put into a cast for a month. I then changed to a better ortho guy (because it was not getting better) and he recommended surgery saying that the cartilage (between the Talus and the Tibia) was torn and the sharp pain was me tearing it more. So, he did surgery in November to repair the tear. In December, my toes started going numb (on the bottom side of my foot) and spread to the middle of my foot. It only got worse, so the ortho Dr. had me go see a neurologist that did a test on the nerves and found the 2 main nerves to both be more than 80% blocked. The ortho and nerve guy decided the nerve was still being compressed and that I developed Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (Carpal Tunnel of the foot) from all the trauma and did a release of the Tarsal Tunnel on Monday. I now have feelings in my toes, so I am very happy and finally feel the light is at the end of the tunnel. I think all the complications happened due to me not knowing it was broke and playing tennis for 3 months on a broken ankle.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
You asked.....I play tennis (competitively) and was playing a friend of mine when I severely sprained my ankle (I thought). I went to an Emergicare the following day and they did x-rays and said negative and that it was a severe sprain and to be on crutches for a few days. I waited a month and started to get back into tennis again and would have severe pain when stepping hard and I had no acceleration forward at all. In Sept, when my wife started her new job and we had decent health care coverage, I went to an ortho guy and he did x-rays and told me they were negative and that he thought I had a ligament problem. I then had a MRI and they found the surface of the Talus was cracked (upper foot/ankle bone) - Apparently, I sprained my ankle so bad that the Talus smashed into the Fibula and cracked . I was put into a cast for a month. I then changed to a better ortho guy (because it was not getting better) and he recommended surgery saying that the cartilage (between the Talus and the Tibia) was torn and the sharp pain was me tearing it more. So, he did surgery in November to repair the tear. In December, my toes started going numb (on the bottom side of my foot) and spread to the middle of my foot. It only got worse, so the ortho Dr. had me go see a neurologist that did a test on the nerves and found the 2 main nerves to both be more than 80% blocked. The ortho and nerve guy decided the nerve was still being compressed and that I developed Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (Carpal Tunnel of the foot) from all the trauma and did a release of the Tarsal Tunnel on Monday. I now have feelings in my toes, so I am very happy and finally feel the light is at the end of the tunnel. I think all the complications happened due to me not knowing it was broke and playing tennis for 3 months on a broken ankle.
That and once you hit 30 it takes you 2-3x as long to recover. I hope recovery is smooth from here. I had a severe sprain 2 months ago, not as bad as yours by far, and I'm still getting over it, then last night I popped my patella out laterally and snapped it back in so I could finish practice, tie that in with a herniated disc between my shoulder blades and an inflamed shoulder tendon. It seemed like 10 years ago, If anything ailed me it would heal in 1-2 weeks. I'm glad nerve sensation is back as well. I don't know to this day but a few years back I suffered peroneal neurophathy "foot drop".. boy that was concerning. I didn't get nerve or muscle control back for almost 3 months. To this day it's about 95%.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Suzuka Master

And when you hit 50... fuggetaboutit! I tore, yes tore, my planter facitus tendon last year.. that bitch still hurts.

neibur, take it easy (duh!) and catch up on some video you might have missed
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM

bone spur? ouch..
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I took some pics of the kicks, Jerry did an excellent job on these the color and finish is perfect.

And possibly some of the new Hybrid SE Drivers I may use, Haven't decided or even listened yet, we'll see......................

Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Very nice! This is by far the best solution I've seen for our cars. I only wish I could have bought these when I got the Dyns. One more week until I order mine.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys are killing me with all this...I must resist all mods.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Very nice! This is by far the best solution I've seen for our cars. I only wish I could have bought these when I got the Dyns. One more week until I order mine.
But just a day left until your Dyns get there....
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I took some pics of the kicks, Jerry did an excellent job on these the color and finish is perfect.

And possibly some of the new Hybrid SE Drivers I may use, Haven't decided or even listened yet, we'll see......................

The copper with the black looks awesome!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
Dumb question, where did you get the low temp plastic?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Time for the Infinite Baffle. After a very long process of pros and cons, I decided that I would go with an Infinite Baffle over the Aperiodic Membrane. The Dynaudio Esotar2 1200 can perform exceptionally in either. I read that flexing is the biggest problem with these (have only done sealed, ported and AP's in the past), so I tried the best I could to prevent possible flexing.

I first made the front baffle out of 3/4" mdf.

I then glued and screwed (in about 20+ places) another piece of 3/4" mdf.

I also attached a 3rd piece of 3/4" mdf in the center around where the sub mounts for more support.

I then decided to attach the baffle to the braces.

Here it is covered in carpet and mounted to the braces. I also sealed any and all openings between the cab and trunk using Cascade Audio products and expanding foam. The baffle was attached to the braces using a total of 8 lag bolts/washers (4 per side).

Here is the trim ring I made for the front grill.

I then cut a piece of metal grill material, secured, and wrapped the entire grill in grill cloth.

Here it is.

This is what you see with the center of the arm rest down!

Only the trunk and finishing installing into the dash, all of which progress has been made.
Im very curious as to the sound response you will get in the TL with this box design.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by djtsmith007
Im very curious as to the sound response you will get in the TL with this box design.
It's going to be amazing. That sub in an infinite baffle configuration is as good as it gets.

I'm running a 12W6 infinite baffle until my two 15s get here for IB duty. The W6 always sounded great in every type of box I put it in but the infinite baffle is by far the best sounding.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
It's going to be amazing. That sub in an infinite baffle configuration is as good as it gets.

I'm running a 12W6 infinite baffle until my two 15s get here for IB duty. The W6 always sounded great in every type of box I put it in but the infinite baffle is by far the best sounding.
Well this has certainly planted a seed of doubt in my mind haha. Might have to look into this

BTW specs wise looking into subs what parameters would be ideal for a sub to have to be used in a IB configuration?

Last edited by djtsmith007; 03-03-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Team Owner

But just a day left until your Dyns get there....
I can't wait. I keep checking the tracking like its going to speed it up lol. They're scheduled for Saturday but that's fine, I went ahead and put in for overtime Friday since they're not getting here till Sat. Its actually a good thing as Friday will pay for the kicks and an MS8 and I don 't have to feel guilty.

One thing though, Fedex lists it as "System 362" not 342. I would be happy either way.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't wait. I keep checking the tracking like its going to speed it up lol. They're scheduled for Saturday but that's fine, I went ahead and put in for overtime Friday since they're not getting here till Sat. Its actually a good thing as Friday will pay for the kicks and an MS8 and I don 't have to feel guilty.

One thing though, Fedex lists it as "System 362" not 342. I would be happy either way.
Man can't wait to see the finished project Matt.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

That would be my drugs talking....it should be the 342. Sorry about that. Yep, I show Saturday as well. Have fun installing!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

That would be my drugs talking....it should be the 342. Sorry about that. Yep, I show Saturday as well. Have fun installing!
Lol. I totally understand. Just a week or so ago I got 4 shots of Morphine. Nasty stuff, it took me 3 days to get my head back on straight.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Lol. I totally understand. Just a week or so ago I got 4 shots of Morphine. Nasty stuff, it took me 3 days to get my head back on straight.
I grew to love morphine. I got beat up in Europe by 6 bouncers last summer and when I came back to Canada they told me they had to do a facial reconstruction surgery because most of the bones in my face were broken or cracked. So after surgery I had a morphine shop every 4 hours for 2 days. And then 2 weeks of Tylenol 3s.

Quick Reply: High Definition Mobile Audio Demo Car 2004 Acura TL - Dynaudio/ARC/MS-8 *Pics Galore*