HFL sound quality...Is the quality related to the phone you're using?

Old 07-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL sound quality...Is the quality related to the phone you're using?

I've got a new Ericsson 637T, and it works pretty damn well with the hands free link, but the sound can be distored and somewhat tinny. Does this vary depending on the phone? It seems like it would, since the signal is coming right through the phone, but I just want to know for sure. I'm tempted to return it and go with a Nokia, but the models to choose from are pretty limited right now, and also pretty expensive.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Sony Ericsson T610 was clear when listening through the earpiece. Over the 04TL HFL, however, the sound was easily overmodulated and frequently distorted. If my soon to be purchased V710 has similar sound issues, I'll start placing my bets on the HFL being the problem.

Stay tuned!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

I have the SE T608 and I am not too pleased with the HFL sound quality so far either. It seems to crack and cut out a lot along with sounding muffled. I also, noticed the audio reception on my computer stinks unless my phone is right next to my BT adapter (D-link DBT-120). Do you guys think the BT in my phone is screwed?

Does any one know the best place to set the phone in the TL to get the best BT recepetion? Also, is there a way to check the BT reception with the HFL?
Old 07-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

According to my dealer, the HFL module is located in the overhead housing towards the front of the moon roof / garage opener controls.

Considering that the Bluetooth reception with my phone was good for 30-50 feet outside the car, I'm guessing that the 3 or so feet from your phone to the HFL module should provide excellent signal strength.

There's no way I know of to display the signal strength/quality, though.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:30 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Well, I told you to stay tuned ...

Guess what I got today at Radio Shack?

I can say that part of the TL's HFL poor sound quality is due to the TL implementation of the HFL profile.

The sound quality of the HFL is better on the V710 than the S/E T610, but not by much. The overmodulation distortion is not as severe, but it still occurs. Also, I am still experienceing some received call sound drop-outs. Neither of these problems occur as much when listening through the earpiece on the phone itself.

I would rate the HFL sound quality of the S/E T610 at 5 (out of 10).

I would rate the HFL sound quality of the V710 at somewhere between 6 and 7.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

neuron bob or mobilezen have any comments on this???
Old 08-03-2004, 03:27 AM
2nd Gear

Sprint t608 and AT&T 3650 HFL

I have both the AT&T Nokia 3650 and the Sprint T608.

Nokia - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=199
T608 - http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=228

I am generally NOT pleased with the HFL quality of the t608. Half the time people complain that they have trouble understanding what I am saying. One person described it as that muffled sound that comes from headset with too much echo cancellation.

Other times people say it sounds as good as or better than a headset. I have not been able to figure out why it sounds better sometimes. It is not a simple function of road noise.

This is my second t608 and the previous one seemed to sound a little better.

The AT&T 3650 does sound noticeably clearer. The downside is that people report they hear more road noise. And the coverage is not good in the areas I drive in metro phoenix.
So in the end the 608 is what I use most often.

Thanks - netsupportcom

-----------------
2004 TL /5AT/ Anthracite/Quartz/ NonNavi
Old 08-03-2004, 03:46 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm developing my own theory. I have a T608 (Sprint PCS) phone myself. Sometimes my
girlfriend can't understand a thing I'm saying. Other times, no problem. I called my own
office voice mail and prattled at myself at length on a couple of occasions. Now, voicemail
quality isn't all that great to begin with, but I had no trouble understanding myself.
There was obvious noise cancellation going on, and a few road noise artifacts, but
with the windows closed and the heater/AC fan off, it wasn't very noticeable at all.

Me, I have a different theory.

I think the T608 has a lousy radio in it. I think it isn't so much the HFL that's causing
the problem, it's the phone's own reception. In one cell, when I call Sprint voicemail,
the incoming sound cuts out just as the system announcement gives way to the
stored message, and redialing results in a completed call, but silence, on all subsequent
attempts. Finally I got P/Oed and yanked the battery out of the phone to force a full
reboot. That fixed the problem that time.

So, my theory is that the T608 has some bogus firmware in it, firmware which will never
be fixed since Verizon leaned on Sony-Ericsson not to make any more of those phones.
I think sometimes the phone shows max signal strength but can't communicate worth a damn
to the cell. It's at times like that that the person on the other end of the call can't understand
a thing you're saying. It ain't the TL, it ain't the HFL, it's the phone. But other times, it works
just fine.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the S/E T616 with the R1B firmware on Rogers in Toronto and I have generally been happy with the sound quality. When my wife phones me from the car I can easily hear and understand her. I think we both talk a little louder to overcome the road noise but we have no problem understanding each other. I have no trouble understanding incoming calls. Even when my phone had the R1A software I found the sound quality to be fine. The upgraded software did improve the reception, however.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Instructor

has anyone noticed better hfl voice quality w/ later build models? or has that not been addressed by acura?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

SE T637 - Problems with incoming audio quality

I recently purchased a TL and read up on which Bluetooth phone to get. Most seem to really like the SE T637, so I picked one up yesterday. After playing with the HFL for awhile, I was able to get it working. I'm ok with the speakerphone/tunnel outgoing audio quality (it is a speakerphone), but incoming audio via the car speakers is awful.

Any recommendations?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Instructor

I just got the new LG325 from Sprint and everything works great. I can hear the person I am talking to and the other person says I sound just fine. The problem I notice with the HFL/BT is that the sound is very bass heavy. I looked through the owners manual & shop manual and I have found no adjustments. Anyone else? I am really thinking there are no adjustments. I am wondering if it is the phone or the HFL module. I might go down to the dealer have my sales guy pair his phone to find out.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 PM
I shift therefore I am

The sound quality is pretty good with my new V600. I had a T610 before and it was good as well (didnt see any big difference)
Old 12-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Instructor

I just figured something out ... surprisingly by reading the MANUAL for the LG. You can adjust the volume of the phone while in HFL mode. I set it on low and now it sounds great as long as I have good RF reception.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone tried any new or different phones recently? I am using the Audivox SMT 5600 and while the incoming sound over the HFL is fine, everyone says I sound like I am in a tunnel or underwater. I guess it could be one of 3 things: The phone itself, the BT stack in either the phone or the car, or the small crappy microphone in the car.

If anyone has any experience with this phone who went with another and found the call quality on the other end better, please let me know. Cause honestly, with all the complaints I am getting on how I sound on the HFL, I am ready to stopusing it and go back to a wired headset.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Slacker

My T610 sounds very good and others tell me its very clear on their end, even with a window/moonroof or 2 open.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Racer

My SE T630 works great with HFL and so is SE S700i. I never have audio quality problem.... except I have to speak to the rear view mirror or otherwise people can't hear me clearly (that is where the mic is).

motorola supports bluetooth ok but not great..

nokia's support on bluetooth is a joke.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. SMT 5600 works great with HFL (no battery or signal strength though) but the sound on the other end is poor. Maybe I will ry to pick up a SE 638 on e-bay and try it out.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraddict
I've got a new Ericsson 637T, and it works pretty damn well with the hands free link, but the sound can be distored and somewhat tinny. Does this vary depending on the phone? It seems like it would, since the signal is coming right through the phone, but I just want to know for sure. I'm tempted to return it and go with a Nokia, but the models to choose from are pretty limited right now, and also pretty expensive.

Thanks!
Who is your provider?