HFL showing Roam???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Mofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL showing Roam???

Hey
Does anyone else have the problem of their Hands Free Link display always showing RM (Roam) ??
95% of the time mine is showing Roam, but its not really in a roam area.
Think I should bother going back to the dealer with this??
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Mine shows Roam...I dont know why. Its not crucial to me though...
Old 01-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced

I have it happen occasionally. Not really a big deal to me. Hadn't even thought to run it by the dealer.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Instructor

I live in NY work in CT. As soon as I cross the state line the HFL displays the RM icon. It really bothered me at first, thinking that my phone plan was wrong, so I called verizon and was told by several reps (called a few times, because the people at verizon tend to have multiple answers for the same question) Basically came down to this, the ROAM indicated that I was leaving my "home area" however with the National plan I have, there is no such thing as roaming anymore. Luckily for me, RM happen to be my initials, so if anyone asks, that's the answer I give
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, my HFL started showing the RM icon 100% of the time from what I have seen recently. I believe this started happening somewhat recently - maybe past month or so. For the first 16 months, it was behaving properly.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

The HFL is only going to display whatever signal it's getting from your phone. The car doesn't decide if you're roaming. Your phone and your service network do. What is your phone displaying? Have you tried updating the roam settings/software on your phone? If you never have, then your phone may not be interpreting network signals correctly. Try calling your mobile service provider.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Mofo

Originally Posted by 6MTPlease
The HFL is only going to display whatever signal it's getting from your phone. The car doesn't decide if you're roaming. Your phone and your service network do. What is your phone displaying? Have you tried updating the roam settings/software on your phone? If you never have, then your phone may not be interpreting network signals correctly. Try calling your mobile service provider.

That's the problem - my phone is NOT in roam mode, there is nothing displaying, and after calls, the roam timer is still at 0:00
Old 02-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maluskills
That's the problem - my phone is NOT in roam mode, there is nothing displaying, and after calls, the roam timer is still at 0:00
The trouble is that with today's complex, overlapping networks and home area/nationwide calling plans, what constitutes roaming vs. not-roaming is not as simple as an A/B switch. Service providers continuously update their network roaming configurations and expect you to manually update your phone periodically. Doing this may or may not solve your problem, but it's possible that a slight network incompatability could cause your phone itself to display your roaming status one way and to send a signal through its Bluetooth connection of a different roaming status. If you're on Verizon and you're sure you're in your home area, call *228 and follow the instructions to update your phone. If you're not on Verizon, the number may still be the same, but I'm not sure.

Try it; I'm interested in knowing if that's the source of the problem.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Instructor

I have the same issue when driving out of the Phoenix area. I'm with Verizon and frequently update the roaming software using *228. I've noticed when this happens my phone doesn't show roaming and is still with Verizon Wireless service (banner still on the screen). However the "EV" network symbol is gone, which indicates the VCast availability. That's the only difference on the phone when it happens. I have the Razr.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maluskills
Hey
Does anyone else have the problem of their Hands Free Link display always showing RM (Roam) ??
95% of the time mine is showing Roam, but its not really in a roam area.
Think I should bother going back to the dealer with this??
Maluskills: as I mentioned earlier, I have the exact problem. To help narrow this down, let's see what we else have in common phone-wise.

ME
Carrier: Cingular Wireless
Phone: Sony-Ericsson T637

or for those who are visually oriented: (yeah, i'm a geek)
+ + +

As soon as I can, I will try 6MTPlease's recommendation above.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Mofo

Hey
Sorry we dont have much in common
Verizon
Motorola V710
White TL (not really relevant)
Live in NY

Hey...at least we both own TLs!