HFL Problem - Not Responding to Voice Commands

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL Problem - Not Responding to Voice Commands

I have looked through this forum, but haven't found any info on this problem. I hope someone can help me with this. I live in So. Indiana and am 2.5 hours away from the nearest Acura dealer so it's tough for me to "run it by the dealer".

I have a 2004 TL (non-navi) and am having problems with the Handsfree Link. When I first got the car I was able to pair a friend's phone with no problems. I didn't have a compatible phone at the time so I didn't use the HFL for several months. When I finally got a bluetooth phone, I tried to set it up but the HFL system wouldn't respond to my voice.

I pressed the "talk" button, waited for the beep and then spoke. I didn't even get a "Pardon" response. The system simply waited about 5 seconds then beeped twice.

Friday, my fiance' drove my car down to Gary Force Acura in Brentwood TN, and they replaced the HFL module and the mic. She didn't know how to test the system so she drove it back home and I tested it once she returned. At first, the system would respond to my commands with "Pardon", "Please Repeat", etc., but wouldn't recognize any command ("System", "Cancel", "Phone Setup"). Then, I scrolled to the Handsfree Link section of the info center in the dash. When I selected "Handsfreelink" it said "Booting Up", but never did anything.

Since then, it is now doing the same thing as it was before I had it "fixed". (Press "talk" wait for the beep, speak, hear 2 beeps, then nothing).

I tried disconnecting/re-connecting the battery but that didn't help.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I really don't want to have to make another 5 hour round trip to an Acura dealer.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Sounds like you don't have a choice. It should go back to the dealer, and this time you take it.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:44 PM
5th Gear

I just figured out that if you hold the "back" button down for a few seconds, the system goes into an HFL diagnostic mode. According the self diagnostic..."The HandsFreeLink system is OK." Still, nothing I have tried has worked. After hitting the Talk button, it beeps, waits 5 seconds then beeps twice.

I think I will try a different dealer this time. Gary Force's service department has given me trouble before. I once trusted them to select a good body shop to repair the bumper cover on my NSX and they sent it to a hack shop. It came back with overspray and the worst orange peel finish I have ever seen.

Thanks for the reply.

Matt