HFL Failure and Acura Plus Warranty in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
HFL Failure and Acura Plus Warranty in Canada

I have a 2004 TL Navi Automatic and the HFL unit has failed 60 days before my lease is up. I purchased the Acura Plus Extended Security Plan and my the first period of protection expires at the end of my lease. The protection extends to "and all genuine Acura electrical accessories (excluding audio and phone)" The contract contains no definition of "audio".

Obviously the HFL is not a phone and I would argue that "audio" refers to the sound system. The HFL amongst its other functions provides a link to the "audio" but it is not the audio. Accordingly, I believe that this failure should be covered by the extended warranty.

The question I have is whether anyone else has either been successful or has been declined by Acura on the extended warranty for an HFL unit failure. The diagnosis of the problem cost $122 and the cost of replacing the unit is $762.00 for parts, $54 for labour plus taxes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
I have a 2004 TL Navi Automatic and the HFL unit has failed 60 days before my lease is up. I purchased the Acura Plus Extended Security Plan and my the first period of protection expires at the end of my lease. The protection extends to "and all genuine Acura electrical accessories (excluding audio and phone)" The contract contains no definition of "audio".
Any help would be appreciated.
Extended warranties are different from the regular warranty, and from each other. Depends on which one you have. You have to call Acura on that. The corporate office, or that number that is on your contract. If it were the regular factory warranty, then I know it would be covered. No one is going to be able to tell you what YOUR extended warranty covers without seeing it first, or having first-hand knowledge of it. Why stress it? Just call (within the next 60 days though - lol). Good luck!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Racer

Thanks Darksom1. I should have mentioned that the dealer has advised me that the repair is not covered. I posted to find out if anyone else has been successful in getting Acura to repair the HFL under the Acura Plus Extended Warranty with the wording I quoted.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Since you haven't listed the Lease Term or current mileage, I assume you are outside of the 3-year/50,000 standard warranty period.

I'll also assume the Extended Warranty is the warrenty "in force". Does it reference the HFL at all? Is the HFL specifically included or excluded?

I would tend to agree that HFL *should* be covered, but would also think that a warranty would include or exclude the HFL (or maybe something like "Communication Devices", "Bluetooth Devices" or even "Other Electronic or Audio Devices") specifically - IOW, it should be classed as SOMETHING in the warranty and I think it could be argued that the HFL is NOT a phone, it is a communication device connected to a phone.

On another tack, there was a TSB on HFL failure's for the 2004 model year. If by chance, this is your problem, your HFL could be covered under goodwill if approved by the District Manager or Zone Office. Here is a link to that TSB:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-020.PDF
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Racer

Bearcat 94. Thank you very much for the link to the bulletin. My unit was delivered in March of 2004 so the unit was manufactured prior to the date that should be considered for goodwill purposes. This may help me with Acura which has initially denied the claim.

The coverage would only be pursuant to the extended warranty in the paragraph I have quoted in my first post. This would appear to be a genuine Acura electrical accessory. I suspect Acura may argue that the exclusion is for "phone accessories" and the HFL is such an accessory.

I will post the result of my attempt to get this repair covered.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Since when is a part delivered as standard equipment (OEM) on every car an "accessory"?? The "accessory" language may apply to Acura-branded iPod adapters, phone cradles, etc. but should not apply to the HFL.
Your HFL should be covered unless there is a specific exclusion of it.
G/L!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Racer

The plot thickens. I was apparently provided with the 2002 version of the Acura Plus Warranty. The 2004 version, which I have not seen, specifically excludes the HFL. Acura customer service now has a copy of the contract I was provided with and is considering whether to cover the repair.

Thanks to Bearcat94 I was able to send them the TSB (which does not actually appear to cover my VIN) and point out that the only thing holding me back from leasing a 2008 TL S Type automatic is the resolution of this issue. I am hopeful that they will agree to cover the repair and I can go ahead and order a new TL.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and I will post the result, hopefully, shortly.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Racer

Acura Canada Comes Through

Acura advised me that I was given the 2002 version of the warranty and should have been given the 2004 version which clearly excludes the HFL. They advised that Acura Canada will abide by the warranty I was given. They will pay for the part and my dealer will pay for the labour less the $25 deductible. This saves me $850.00 in total. I am going to sign a new lease today for a 2008 S Type auto.