HFL and BlackBerry Curve 8310

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HFL and BlackBerry Curve 8310

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing anything similar to what I'm going to describe...

When making an outgoing call, with previous phones with VZW, I would initiate the call via the handset and transfer the call to HFL. When it picked up, I would hear the phone pickup an open line, then hear the dialed number start to ring.

With my BlackBerry with AT&T, when I initiate a call with the handset and try to transfer to HFL, it says 'There is no call in progress....' but the display on my phone says 'Calling'. It's only when my phone says 'Connected' that I can transfer to HFL and by that time, the person on the other end has already picked up.

Does this sound like a phone issue? A HFL issue? or a network (AT&T) issue? Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this??

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine works the same way you describe your AT&T BB working. When the phone is setting up the call, i can't transfer until it's connected.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I also have the BB 8820, and it is as exactly as you describe it... Also when I make a call from the phone while in the car, I never hear the ring in the phone itself, and usually the people on other line already saying hello, while I still can't hear them...it's def the HFL messing with the phone.

On my infiniti, when I call from my phone, it automatically goes to bluetooth, and I hear the rings.

If you come up with a solution to combat that I would highly appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 AM
04 TL 6MT / 06 Pilot

Originally Posted by erok72
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing anything similar to what I'm going to describe...

When making an outgoing call, with previous phones with VZW, I would initiate the call via the handset and transfer the call to HFL. When it picked up, I would hear the phone pickup an open line, then hear the dialed number start to ring.

With my BlackBerry with AT&T, when I initiate a call with the handset and try to transfer to HFL, it says 'There is no call in progress....' but the display on my phone says 'Calling'. It's only when my phone says 'Connected' that I can transfer to HFL and by that time, the person on the other end has already picked up.

Does this sound like a phone issue? A HFL issue? or a network (AT&T) issue? Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this??

Since I work for AT&T I've used many types of phones with the HFL...I'm currently using the Curve. Every one has exibited that same characteristic you have described. I normally dial from the HFL address book so it's not an issue but yes I agree it's a bit irritating. FWIW the Curve seems to work very well with the HFL. Other phones (treo 680, Samsung 737, Sony W580i, Moto v9) were hit and miss as far as picking up the HFL every time I got in the car.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the expected behavior on the BlackBerry. Until the call is connected, HFL will not register that there is a call in progress because to the BlackBerry, technically, there isn't one until the wireless carrier issues a CONNECT command to the device. The ringback you hear on outbound calls is actually an artificial "comfort tone" sent by either your carrier or, depending on the phone, the device itself until the call is established through the network to the dialed party. Carriers do this so users don't hear dead air and think "What the heck's going on??"

If your BlackBerry is set to auto-answer, the device might/will pick up the call automatically without user intervention. You should set the device NOT to auto answer and instead use the HFL button to pick up the call.

But I'm just wondering... Why use use the handset to initiate the call rather than the voice activation of the HFL? Also, if the HFL is set up to make an audible announcement of the incoming call (System> Setup) then why would you need the device to ring at the same time?

If it's a matter of programming speed-dials into the HFL, you can do this while the car is moving so it's not much of a hassle. I like to do it while sitting in stopped Los Angeles traffic! Hey... it's something to do other than text message. :-D
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rotaryboy
Since I work for AT&T I've used many types of phones with the HFL...I'm currently using the Curve. Every one has exibited that same characteristic you have described. I normally dial from the HFL address book so it's not an issue but yes I agree it's a bit irritating. FWIW the Curve seems to work very well with the HFL. Other phones (treo 680, Samsung 737, Sony W580i, Moto v9) were hit and miss as far as picking up the HFL every time I got in the car.
So rotary,

Did you actually get the HFL to import your phonebook? I'm asking because I just recently purchase a BlackBerry Curve 8310. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I have successfully paired my BlackBerry Curve 8310 with my '07 Type-S. However, the funny thing is, on the "Info" screen, the "Cellular Phonebook" option is greyed out, and I cannot even select it to try and import my phonebook. BTW, my carrier is AT&T. Does anybody know why the "Cellular Phonebook" option is not available, even though my phone has been successfully paired? ANY insight would be appreciated. TIA!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I have Blackberry 8820, I've imported the phone book without a problem.

press INFO, and just do a cellular phonebook import. It took me a few tries to do it, but it did it.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Hey Tekno,

Thanks for you response. But, I've tried multiple times, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the "Cellular Phonebook" option is not even available. It is greyed out, making it impossible for me to select this option. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:49 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by princelybug
Hey Tekno,

Thanks for you response. But, I've tried multiple times, and as I mentioned in my previous post, the "Cellular Phonebook" option is not even available. It is greyed out, making it impossible for me to select this option. Any suggestions?
This is what I mean. This pic was taken with the phone already paired to the HFL:

It's perplexing. I don't understand it! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Anybody?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by erok72
Hi All,

Did you ever figure a way to get this to work? I just bought a 08 TL and have the same prob with my AT&T crackberry curve. Voice rec dial doesn't work so well for me, I don't have navigation, so when I dial one of 600 numbers out of my phone contacts since it is a work phone I have to wait for the person to answer before I can flip the call into my HFL.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WIth my BB Curve, I was able to import the phone book. I'd recomend going into the option menu on the BB (it's the wrench), choose "Bluetooth", and highlight "HandsFreeLink TM", hit the menu key and go to "Options". The 4th line down is "Address Book Transfer". Change that option to "All Entries" and save your changes. I think that should work.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Did you ever figure a way to get this to work? I just bought a 08 TL and have the same prob with my AT&T crackberry curve. Voice rec dial doesn't work so well for me, I don't have navigation, so when I dial one of 600 numbers out of my phone contacts since it is a work phone I have to wait for the person to answer before I can flip the call into my HFL.
I love everything about my '09 non-tech TSX except for the HFL. It is the most irritating feature.
  1. I can't use the BlackBerry voice dialing feature (which has superior voice recognition than HFL) because it won't connect without a call in progress.
  2. Importing contacts into the non-tech TSX is a pain because you have to do it one entry at a time and you can't pick which entry to import. It will only take the first entry of the group you send it.
  3. I can't use the voice recognition of HFL because it can't distinguish between the different entries. It couldn't distinguish between John O'Brien and John Reamer.
  4. When I use the voice dial of the BB through the headset, I have the stupid delay before I can connect HFL to call.
All of this aggravation makes me think I should have spent the extra $3000+ for the tech package. Of course, this would be moot if HFL just let me use the BB voice dialing like every other BT headset I've used.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Same problem with new curve

Has anyone figured this one out? I got a new curve (in Canada with Rogers ... same as AT&T) and I'm experiencing the same issue in my '07 MDX. Interesting though my previous phone was the curve from TELUS (same as Verizon) and I could transfer calls as soon as I dialed.

Who ever said that's the way it should work needs their "ease of use" criteria ratings examined. IMO the phone should auto transfer to HFL if it is already paired. Acura needs to figured this one out and provide a free dealer update.

I'm essentially not using HFL anymore and carrying around my tethered headset. Very annoying!!!