HELP I cut a wired behind my stereo during a DVD install!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
HELP I cut a wired behind my stereo during a DVD install!!

After 1yr of having the parts sitting around I have finally gotten around to my Dom's DVD/Wendy's camera/PIE X3/M&D AD212 Dash install. I am doing an install similar to the one that jmbnova did in which the DVD unit will sit in the front console with a working door.

Here's the problem I ran into; I tried to dremel away that metal bar you see in the pic. This is to accomodate the DVD player. There was a wire in the way and I was very careful to watch for it while I dremelled. You can see the wire in this picture. It's the one that is to the right side of the metal bar that runs up and down with the blue tape on it:

Well the clutz that I am, the dremel caught and slipped a little bit and sliced right through the wire!!! After a bit of cursing I thought OK I'll just splice them together....The wire seems to have separated core and ground wires....sorta like the appearance of a cut open RCA cable, you know how 1 wire is inside a white plastic sheath and there is a copper wiring surrounding it. How the hell am I gonna reconnect that? There is minimal slack in the wire as well. I traced the wire to the very lowest right corner of the radio/nav. I suspect it is the radio antenna wire? I tested by turning the stereo on and XM worked fine. FM was getting nothing. So am I right??

I have done a lot of modding in my time but this is a daunting task to say the least! Definitely not for the faint of heart! I have put 12 hrs of work into it so far and my car is in a million pieces and I am exhausted. Hopefully I will complete this tomorrow, I need to use the car after that.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
yes, that is the radio antenna.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 AM
King of NYC

OK for one thing, I feel better that it wasn't the GPS antenna or something more important, but on the other hand it sucks that I can't just replace the wire. I feel this wire going directly into the back of the radio unit so repair looks like the only alternative. What do I have to do, solder this thing?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure if this is correct, but maybe its one of these (hopefully one of the cheaper ones):

part #8 39155-SEP-A02 MODULE UNIT, ANTENNA $36.40
part #9 39156-SEP-A00 SUB-FEEDER, ANTENNA $11.66
part #10 39157-SEP-A01 COIL ASSY., ANTENNA GROUND $4.80

Prices are from acuraoemparts.com
Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Moderator

it is part number 9, all you have to do is disconnect it from the radio, then disconnect ti from the link at the bottom and put it back together with the new cable.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 AM
King of NYC

Yeah, I looked that exact diagram last night and couldn't tell much of what/where all that was. It really does look to be #9. (I hope so $12 is nothing)

I hope it's replaceable because a part of it is not unpluggable and goes directly into the radio. It was dark though and I couldn't see much. I'm gonna go out now and check what can be done because I'd rather replace instead of repair, even if it is $36. I'll call every dealer till I get it. Thanks guys!!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
King of NYC

I pulled out the whole HVAC/Nav unit. I didn't want to but I had no way around it. It's confirmed it is that exact wire. It had the part number stamped on it. It is for the FM radio because it said FM on the back panel near where the wire plugs in. The wire does in fact unplug. It needed a good tug with a wrench, it was on there very tight.

I called 6 dealers and apparently nobody has it in stock. The earliest I could get it is Wed. and theres no way I can have my car in pieces that long! Looking at the connectors I recognized its just a normal garden variety FM cable I've seen before in any car. I knew you can get them at the auto store. Went to the store and they have the cable for $5 instead of Acura's $20. Only at home I noticed it's 12 ft. long! I have no space for that plus its an invitation for interference. I'm just gonna continue with the install, order the Acura OEM and live without FM for a couple weeks. I'll pull the unit another time. I'm not going to let this hangup waste all my time right now. Looks like I'll need 1 more day!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I pulled out the whole HVAC/Nav unit. I didn't want to but I had no way around it. It's confirmed it is that exact wire. It had the part number stamped on it. It is for the FM radio because it said FM on the back panel near where the wire plugs in. The wire does in fact unplug. It needed a good tug with a wrench, it was on there very tight.

I called 6 dealers and apparently nobody has it in stock. The earliest I could get it is Wed. and theres no way I can have my car in pieces that long! Looking at the connectors I recognized its just a normal garden variety FM cable I've seen before in any car. I knew you can get them at the auto store. Went to the store and they have the cable for $5 instead of Acura's $20. Only at home I noticed it's 12 ft. long! I have no space for that plus its an invitation for interference. I'm just gonna continue with the install, order the Acura OEM and live without FM for a couple weeks. I'll pull the unit another time. I'm not going to let this hangup waste all my time right now. Looks like I'll need 1 more day!

seems like everything worked out for u though ... u got lucky man ... i would be content if i were in ur shoes that is a pretty ez fix which im sure u r
Old 07-14-2007, 08:36 PM
King of NYC

Yes, I feel much better about that, but now it looks as if I have more important problems to worry about as noted in my other ongoing thread. Its my worst nightmare coming true. I need some major help!! Otherwise it looks like I am going to pull everything out take the car to the dealer, hoping they won't screw me.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Safety Car

Yes, I feel much better about that, but now it looks as if I have more important problems to worry about as noted in my other ongoing thread. Its my worst nightmare coming true. I need some major help!! Otherwise it looks like I am going to pull everything out take the car to the dealer, hoping they won't screw me.
I highly recommend that you DO NOT bring the car in its current shape to the dealer. That is just asking them to void your warranty. Dealerships will not help with aftermarket installs anyway. It would be better if you brought it to a private shop.

Just keep trying man. Read over the guides and always check connections. Stick to what is known to work for others. It is very helpful if you have a multimeter to check connections. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 AM
King of NYC

I can try to revert but #1 It's too much work, 4 days of work down the drain. Sadly I got that DVD unit into the console perfectly with a working door. #2 Even with replacing parts like the upper console, DCC switch blank, FM antenna etc. There are still stuff I can't fix like the metal bar etc. I'm just remembering that I have Navi hacks too. I can be blamed for screwing up the software too.

Something is telling me to check again and again like you said, even though I already have, before I lastly resort to reverting. I have a feeling it is some stupid silly thing I will lose a lot of time, sleep and money over if I'm not paying attention.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:26 PM
King of NYC

OK now I know something is wrong MAJOR. Tried to move the car this morning and the shift lock wouldn't release! I think a fuse is blown somewhere, I really have to solve this now, I have no choice. I can't drive around with a screwdriver in my shift override. This is getting worse by the minute and I'm sure its something small.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

did you check everything I told you to yet?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:02 PM
King of NYC

OK MAN!!!!! Phew! Its a miracle! Big relief, I found the problem after going bonkers dudes! My navi is not busted after all! First I pulled and checked every single fuse in the car and they were intact. I turned on the ignition just to be curious. The Navi and shift lock all powered up like normal!!! I went to retrace what went wrong.

You want to know what stupid mistake I made??? It was with the add-on fuse. It has TWO fuses...I was stupid to not realize why. One slot is for the new accessory you plan to wire in. The 2nd is for whatever was originally fused. It is not clearly explained in the instructions. I only fused one of the fuses! (DUH!! I feel sooo dumb!) I thought fuse 32 was an extra unused bank for accessories so I thought if it was left unfused it wouldn't make a difference. Wrong again! This fuse controls power to the Navi display and shift lock! So now nobody else will repeat my stupidity and if they search the forums I hope they find this info! Now on to the rest of the install!!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

OK MAN!!!!! Phew! Its a miracle! Big relief, I found the problem after going bonkers dudes! My navi is not busted after all! First I pulled and checked every single fuse in the car and they were intact. I turned on the ignition just to be curious. The Navi and shift lock all powered up like normal!!! I went to retrace what went wrong.

You want to know what stupid mistake I made??? It was with the add-on fuse. It has TWO fuses...I was stupid to not realize why. One slot is for the new accessory you plan to wire in. The 2nd is for whatever was originally fused. It is not clearly explained in the instructions. I only fused one of the fuses! (DUH!! I feel sooo dumb!) I thought fuse 32 was an extra unused bank for accessories so I thought if it was left unfused it wouldn't make a difference. Wrong again! This fuse controls power to the Navi display and shift lock! So now nobody else will repeat my stupidity and if they search the forums I hope they find this info! Now on to the rest of the install!!
Wait a minute, when I asked you about removing the add a fuse thing when talking to you, you said you removed it and it was totally stock....Well we all make mistakes. Also i think i might have hit on this problem if you look in your other thread, look at the last post by me, last part of my post. But good to hear everything is alright. Give me a call if you need any help in the future with this stuff. BTW, don't tell anyone what i told you about me..... It may be disastrous
Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 AM
King of NYC

Done!! Done!! Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 5 complete days of hard core labor in the sun and humidity my project is done!!! It came out so so amazingly beautiful and just as I envisioned. (this is a rare event for a perfectionist). I had so many brick walls in the way but I sweated and persisted. Neighbors thought I was crazy, my brother-in-law pitied me. He told me it can't be done but he looked at it now and his jaw dropped while we watched South Park in the car with the DVD in the dash. The picture looks beautiful and the backup camera is flawless. All in all it looks like a professional install.

My gripes/mistakes?
1) My FM radio is not working. Have to order the part and put it in later.
2) There is some creaking from the console behind the DVD player. Looks to be minor for now. but within a year I know I'll rip the dash to get to the bottom of it.
3) Sound quality through the PIE for the DVD player is good. Not crystal and super hi-fi; just good. Going to get Infinity 63.7is soon.
4) I screwed up my Type-S rear licence plate trim with the dremel, definitely gotta get a new one now.
5) I have no idea how but I majorly scratched up the leather on my handbrake handle. I might have to get a carbon fiber one later.
6) The upper console door doesn't always click closed. A lot of the structural integrety was lost because I removed probably 75% of what was there. The hinge and catch mechanism needs a precise axis to operate perfectly. If it gets screwed up I might have to remove the complicated system and just add a simple magnet or something.
7) I killed my battery. (Less than 1 yr old.) I have been pretty careless with using acessory power so I'm not surprised. I have to remember to pull the interior light fuse so my lighted sills, trunk light etc. dont drain the battery. Plus I valet my car everyday (so many starts in a day)

Heres a big complaint! This interior has a remarkable ability to get marred and scuffed so easily! Any time I mod I think I add one year to the appearance of the age of the interior. My car is not even 1 yr old yet and already scratches and scuffs everywhere from any minor rub or poke. (My old BMW aged so much better!) Valet parking has a lot to do with this too. Caution to everybody. very soft plastics, rubber, vinyl and leather!

Lastly I have to emphasize how serious I was on Sunday to abandon this project. I was so close to ripping everything out when I thought I screwed up the Navi. I am so so glad I didn't!! I owe a really really big thanks to datrman for reaching out with some answers during my desperation and most definitely my man csmenace who actually cared to call me and really put effort and time in to help me. If it wasn't for your encouragement I would have given up! BTW csmenace what do you mean what you told me? No disaster my desi brother!

I am so glad and relieved its all over! For sure this is my biggest project to date! No more mods for a long time please! My grille mods/headlight clearing will have to wait awhile! I'm sittin here in freezin cold air conditioning with a JD in my hand bout to get some very very much needed sleep! Good night!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Safety Car

Congrats man!

to csmeance as well from me. Thanks for helping out.

Now lets see some pictures!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know how you feel about driving a dismantled car lol

When doing my dvd install I drove around for 2 days with the center console out, and another day with the navi unit out.....man it was wierd

Congrats on the final!!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
King of NYC

It's not as if there isn't enough pics of installs on this forum, but I guess there are very few of us who have done a DVD with a working door so I know people who are planning this mod like to get as much info/pics as they can. I will definitely post some pics in a seperate thread. I don't like the subject line of this one, let's try to forget that now!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

i asked you totally stock and you said yes, by leaving that fuse thing in there, it's NOT STOCK and if you look at the other thread, my reply asks about the fuse if BOTH are properly seated, and i said this on the phone too. But anyway, good to hear that you got it working well. I can help you with the creaking noises, the box that the dvd player sits in, the two flippy ones, put some electrical tape on the top to even up the surface as it has a grid design, then put a bunch of foam strips on the top, the plastic rubs againsts the radio and creaks. I can post a pic if you need it on the 20th.

Also if you want better quality, make sure the settings on the dvd player are good. As well, if you want some ipod integration and less power wires to extend the battery life, look into the USA SPEC HON2Y, it retains XM, draws power from the radio with no additional wires, can charge an IPOD and shuts off with the car, pasuing the ipod and playing it when you swictch to ipod mode. I have it and love it, just wish there were text with XM out...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by datmrman
Congrats man!

to csmeance as well from me. Thanks for helping out.

Now lets see some pictures!
Thank you, i appreciate this, especially since its from a mod. BTW, anyone else viewing this thread, you can PM me if you need help with the dvd conversion.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:39 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are talking about repairing a coaxial cable, cut it in half with the car off.

Separate the outer from the inner completely, make sure they do not make any contact

They take the outer shield, twist it together and then connect it to some 18 gauge wire or thicker (solder it), then extend it and make a connection on the other side.

Next take the inside wire, solder on a length of wire, tape it up or heat shrink it so it doesnt touch the outer shield and connect it with the otherside.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM
King of NYC

Yeah, thank God the cable was unplugable otherwise I would have had to resort to that. I have done similar repairs to wires in the past that I couldn't replace and I hated it, time consuming. I'm just going to replace it with OEM for $20 to save me the headache. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman

I'm not sure if this is correct, but maybe its one of these (hopefully one of the cheaper ones):

part #8 39155-SEP-A02 MODULE UNIT, ANTENNA $36.40
part #9 39156-SEP-A00 SUB-FEEDER, ANTENNA $11.66
part #10 39157-SEP-A01 COIL ASSY., ANTENNA GROUND $4.80

Prices are from acuraoemparts.com
So where are part 8 and 10, module unit and coil assy, located in the car?

I've been having horrible FM reception in my car since installing a new amps, speakers, and carpc with NAVI touchscreen hack. I think I may have a loose connector or pinched wire somewhere, so I'm trying to located it. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 AM
King of NYC

Good question....According to the juvenile grade-school diagram it looks like maybe it is in the C-pillar? It would be close to the antenna there. One of the real gurus of the board has to confirm that.