help with audio system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with audio system

i'm not to experienced with audio systems...but i was wondering if i kept the bass and treble on high than will the speakers and subwoofer start cracking after a while or is it ok to always have bass and treble on high? and another question, has anyone tried just replacing hte factory subwoofer to an aftermarket one for more bass and no other modifications because all i want is a little bit more bass and nothing taking up room in the trunk if that's possible..
Old 08-13-2006, 09:51 AM
deno

Bass/Treble settings should not result in cracking. You can damage your speakers by underpowering or overpowering them, but you don't have to worry about this with stock system, as Acura has ensured that speaker and amp ratings match..the power rating and component quality is a separate discussion, however.

Your stock 8" Sub uses the trunk as an enclosure and you can replace it but there are certain considerations. 1) if you look underneath the area of the sub, inside the trunk, after removing the covering, you will see that the magnet is visible and flush with the lower portion of the rear deck..and the hole barely accomodates the magnet..so you will need to find an aftermarket sub with a magnet that can fit into this hole (good luck, as most decent subs will mave more massive magnets), unless you want to dremel it to make the hole bigger. 2) Factory mounting holes probably won't work, so you'll need to drill custom holes
3) Since it is using the trunk as an enclosure, it is a considered a "very large, to no enclosure and you'll need to find a sub that is "infinite baffle capable" 4) You may need to ensure that the rear deck cover clearance does not interfere with the customer subwoofer enclosure.
You'll get a bass boost from the aftermarket sub, but ultimately you'll be limited by the stock amp. IF you're looking for a moderate bass boost, you'll get it with a decent 8" sub...I like Elemental Designs..outstanding subs, at value pricing.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
good post and answer...I was just thinking about this myself. I wanted to just change the sub with an aftermarket one and use the stock amp, but thought it would be useless since most aftermarket have higher ratings while the stock amp might be underpowering it. So i guess im stuck with stock.. Its not as bad as it is anyways..hehe
Old 08-14-2006, 12:20 AM
deno

The statement about damaging sub/speakers by underpowering is more of a general statement...your stock amp has enough power to benefit an aftermarket sub, but it jsut won't be pushing it hard...but you will definitely get better base with an aftermarket sub that is inifinite baffle capable...unless you built a custom enclosure around the stock sub area in the upper deck.

Another option is to add a slim sub (with enclosure and built in amp) as discussed in this thread..(https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...errerid=180750) this is a good upgrade, as it gets added base directly into the cabin..I'd go with this option first, as it is easier and probably gets tighter/better base response, the lack of which is your main complaint