Headrest LCD Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headrest LCD Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my TL this past week, and I want to start doing some research on doing the Navi Conversion to play DVD's. I was thinking of going w/ the avelectronic.com unit.

I also want to put lcd's in the headrests, but before I go ahead and buy anything I really wanted to get people's suggestion on what LCD's are good for viewing.

I was thing of going w/ this particular lcd monitor:
Power Acoustik PT-713HRS 7" Headrest Monitor
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=385

For the price I figure I might as well.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm Baaack!

I just completed this project, used Dom's Navi converter (see Group Buys) and put two Farenheit 7014's in the headrests. Good picture quality, good brightness, 2 AV inputs and have independent headphone jacks on each monitor.

I was looking at these versus a swivel type monitor. (I was ideally hoping for both in one, but couldn't find one that swiveled and had headphone jacks.)

I ended up getting these specifically for the headphone jacks, I have two small children and would rather they break a $19.00 headphone instead of a $65.00 IR headphone.

I found them for 229. each at CarStereoExpo.com
Old 11-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
I just completed this project, used Dom's Navi converter (see Group Buys) and put two Farenheit 7014's in the headrests. Good picture quality, good brightness, 2 AV inputs and have independent headphone jacks on each monitor.

I was looking at these versus a swivel type monitor. (I was ideally hoping for both in one, but couldn't find one that swiveled and had headphone jacks.)

I ended up getting these specifically for the headphone jacks, I have two small children and would rather they break a $19.00 headphone instead of a $65.00 IR headphone.

I know this is an old post, but how exactly did you connected 2 extra headrests monitors to Dom's Navi converter??
Old 11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
7th Gear

I would like to know how Doms Navi converter was. Did you get the plug and play???? How much did you pay. You are talking about Dom from TV and Nav 2 go right?

Also how did you get your sound. Splice into XM or a FM Modulator
Old 11-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mamboking
I know this is an old post, but how exactly did you connected 2 extra headrests monitors to Dom's Navi converter??

Duhhhh!!! Never mind, it just dawn on me that your DVD player must be the one feeding video to the other 2 monitors.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duhhhh!!! Never mind, it just dawn on me that your DVD player must be the one feeding video to the other 2 monitors.
either that, or you can splice the other RCA cables together
Old 11-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Instructor

I don't really have much experience with this, does the video output of the dvd player have enough current to supply video to the navi monitor plus two headrest monitors?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm Baaack!

Dom's navi converter hijacks the Navi signal to get the video to the front screen, the two headrest monitors go direct to DVD player. I have an Alpine 6 disk in the trunk which has two video outs (One for front with the parking brake lock and the other for the back .. no lock) I put all three monitors through the back (of course it was just as an experiment to answer your questions about video quality ) and it seems to push enough that all three monitors have pretty good quality.

The only issue I'm having is I'm picking up a bit of engine noise (on both audio and video), the video noise is only noticeable on the blue menu screen so I'm not too concerned. You don't see it at all when you're watching a movie. I have to clean up some of the wiring and reground and that should clear it up. If it doesn't and I really get annoyed with it I'll look into a video signal enhancer.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Dom's navi converter hijacks the Navi signal to get the video to the front screen, the two headrest monitors go direct to DVD player. I have an Alpine 6 disk in the trunk which has two video outs (One for front with the parking brake lock and the other for the back .. no lock) I put all three monitors through the back (of course it was just as an experiment to answer your questions about video quality ) and it seems to push enough that all three monitors have pretty good quality.

The only issue I'm having is I'm picking up a bit of engine noise (on both audio and video), the video noise is only noticeable on the blue menu screen so I'm not too concerned. You don't see it at all when you're watching a movie. I have to clean up some of the wiring and reground and that should clear it up. If it doesn't and I really get annoyed with it I'll look into a video signal enhancer.

Brewmaster, I followed your recommendation on video monitors and picked up a couple of farenheit 714's for $150 each off of Ebay. Tell me again I made the right choice regarding quality of picture?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm Baaack!

Brewmaster, I followed your recommendation on video monitors and picked up a couple of farenheit 714's for $150 each off of Ebay. Tell me again I made the right choice regarding quality of picture?
I'm digging them ... and the price is certainly right ... the only issue I had was the brick they use for connections. You have one cord coming from the monitor that bricks into all your RCAs for two line ins plus power and ground. If I were smart I would have cut the cord and soldered in an extension so the brick would've ended up inside the back of the seat, instead I pulled line 1 into the headrest and made the connections in there. It works, but I had to remove a lot of additional material from the headrest to make room.

Let me know how they work for you!