HD 600/4 a match made in heaven for Dynaudio.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
HD 600/4 a match made in heaven for Dynaudio.

I actually have a reason for saying this but first a little review. This amp is powering the midbass and mids. The 900/5 will soon power the tweeters and center and subs. Can't wait to get the McIntosh and Infinity out of there. Thanks to these two small amps I will be able to put the factory spare and jack back in and have nothing in my trunk but the pair of 15s that take up practically no room.

I love this thing. Dynamics are great, it's powerful, no coloration to the sound, just powerful full music. Midbass has that extra "pop" that only lots of power will get you. I have this one under the passenger seat which looked to be the hardest with the least amount of clearance. I had to reposition the airbag box and remove the shield. I added a fused power distribution block nearby so when the time comes to add the 900/5 under the driver's seat it won't take too long.

What I like the most is it's ability to drive an 8ohm load. With every amp I've had including the Zed Leviathan, I had to crank the gain on the 8ohm midbass considerably. The HD does not treat it any differently than a 2 or 4ohm load. For once I have a ton of power available for these mids with the gains less than half way. This is a big deal for me because on the other 150w amp I had, the gain was maxed on the mids and half way on the midbass. Now they're both in approximately the same position.

Anyway, I believe this amp is one of the best additions to my system and especially seeing that it treats 8ohms the same as 4ohms.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Cool. Have pics of the install? I'm interested in how tight it is down there.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Pics or it's not real
Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'll have to take one with it mounted under the seat. I posted the one earlier the day I got it with it on top of the seat. The TL really doesn't have much room under the passenger seat. I had to move some stuff around to make it fit and it was still very close.

I put the amp right up to the structural rib that runs right under the front of the seat. With the seat in a normal position you can't see the amp unless you look for it under the seat. With it all the way forward you can see the RCAs. Fronm the front you have to get on the floor with a flash light to see it. I wanted to put it with the adjustments facing the rear so I could put the seat forward for easier adjustments but I could not figure out how to do the power wire without crossing over the RCAs. I know it sounds simple but I spend an hour just staring at it and mounting it this way was the only option I could come up with.

The floor mat fits right over the RCAs. I sat in the back with the seat in it's normal position and tried to get my feet under it enough to touch the RCAs and power but I couldn't. I have to make sure it's idiot proof because if there's a way, the passengers will manage to break it. Probably going to make a small plastic shield to prevent objects from touching any part of the RCAs and cables.

If the amp were even 1/8" taller it would not have fit. Right now the seat brace barely touches the top. I believe these are 1.8 or 1.9" tall. Keep in mind, I have a layer of vibration mat and Luxury Liner Pro under the carpet so that could account for 1/2" or so. I was about to put a couple fender washers under the seat mounts but that would only raise the rear of the seat.

The driver's seat looks like cake. I did the passenger this time because I know I'm going to add another amp soon and I wanted to get the hardest one out of the way first. If you're doing just a single amp, the driver's seat is the way to go for sure.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I'd love to see the pics. I wanted to do a stealthier build.

I thought about putting the MB Quart under the passenger seat but that would be impossible. I could probably do a 5 channel under the driver's and the MS8 on the other.