Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can this be done with a Mac?

Is there a way to accomplish these hacks on a Macintosh. I am running OS X 10.4.6 and just bought an 06 TL navi, and would LOVE to get rid of the nag screen and put up my own graphic.

Anyone know how to do this on a Mac, short of installing virtual PC?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thassett
Is there a way to accomplish these hacks on a Macintosh. I am running OS X 10.4.6 and just bought an 06 TL navi, and would LOVE to get rid of the nag screen and put up my own graphic.

Anyone know how to do this on a Mac, short of installing virtual PC?
No you can't do it on a Mac. The dumpdavi.exe is a Windows executable. You might be able to do with Virtual PC. Or borrow a buddies PC. It is a pretty quick process once you have done it once or twice.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone want to make some dough?

If anyone is in the Dallas area and wants to come hack my screen and nags, I could come up with some cash for the trouble. See, I would be dangerous trying to do this myself as I don't know the firs thing about what you smarter guys are talking about. For example (no laughing) I don't even know where you guys are getting to all the codes, files, exe's, etc. Are you taking out the NAV DVD and putting it in your computer? SEE, I told you I don't have a clue.

OK, now you can ALL laugh.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friscodave
If anyone is in the Dallas area and wants to come hack my screen and nags, I could come up with some cash for the trouble. See, I would be dangerous trying to do this myself as I don't know the firs thing about what you smarter guys are talking about. For example (no laughing) I don't even know where you guys are getting to all the codes, files, exe's, etc. Are you taking out the NAV DVD and putting it in your computer? SEE, I told you I don't have a clue.

Pretty simple, take the DVD from the car, copy some files to your pc, modify 1 file then burn the files to a blank cd that you then load into the DVD drive in the trunk.

That's stated a bit plainly but except for a couple of minor steps that's about it.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Superman

Originally Posted by friscodave

Hey friscodave, if you still couldn't get the ball rolling just IM me and I'll give you my phone number - I'll giude you step by step while you're doing it. Impossible not to succeed.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:34 AM
Advanced

where's dumpnavi?

can someone tell me where the file dumpnavi.exe is? i haven't actually taken the DVD out of my trunk yet but i've been reading this thread to kinda prepare for this task. i think i get it except i don't know where to get the execute file. is this already on the DVD or do i have to go download it from somewhere? thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Download it from the link on the first post.

I copied it here for you: http://philipedge.com/Acura_TL
Old 07-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by datmrman
Download it from the link on the first post.

I copied it here for you: http://philipedge.com/Acura_TL

Guess I missed that part
Thanks!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

has anyone figured out how to remove the nag screen? i have a honda odyssey and will be doing both a splash screen and changing the nag text. i am working on it now. will post results
Old 07-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I think I have this straight:

- Use dumpnavi gui to change splash screen and eliminate nag screen (but still stuck with the OK.
- Use dumpnavi console to modify the language on the nag screen by hacking the navi.exe to modify the text entries for the nag screen
- Use dumpnavi console to modify the language of the OK

There's no known way yet to eliminate the OK acknowledgement.

Questions:

1. If the .BIN file load doesn't work, why do you need to disconnect the battery to reset the navi. Can't you just put in the original DVD in and do the Map/Guide-Menu-Cancel routine and load the original .BIN?

2. Has anyone tried to burn a new DVD that has everything on it so you don't have to do the jump out/switch disc routine?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:59 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

A1: Putting original DVD will work, but in some event where you can't recover, then you will have to disconnect the battery.
A2: Several people has tried 'backup' the entire DVD (just in case our latest version of DVD map is damage), but with no luck.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:31 AM
B A N N E D

so no 2nd gen?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Q's on Changing Nag Text

Ok, so first off I have to say thank you to everyone for posting this information.

I have run the NaviGUI and have changed the splash bmp and removed the nag screen text, but like other posters think thats almost worse (you think your system is hung).

I want to change the text of the nag screen to personlaize it. I understand how to do it within the existing character spacing (editing the navi.exe file in a hex editor, saving it, re-adding to the .bin).

Has anyone had any luck in changing the length of the text you can display? It appears that there are about 9 lines of possible text and about 50 characters in width. Has anyone had luck in using more of that space than what the original nag screen used? I have tried decompiling the executable, but my programming days are long behind me and I never was a C++ guy anyhow.

Just curious. If you have; I'd love to hear from you on how you did it please.

I'm also in for $20 or $30 to add to the pot for someone who can hack the navi to either disable the nag screen or to actually provide an enhanced Navigation Hack tool (easier to change text, buttons, etc...)

By the by, does anyone know of sites or newsgroups that post updated DVD's. I'm looking for Orange Version 3.5.

Thanks again.
- Vince
Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by madpunter
Ok, so first off I have to say thank you to everyone for posting this information.

I have run the NaviGUI and have changed the splash bmp and removed the nag screen text, but like other posters think thats almost worse (you think your system is hung).

I want to change the text of the nag screen to personlaize it. I understand how to do it within the existing character spacing (editing the navi.exe file in a hex editor, saving it, re-adding to the .bin).

Has anyone had any luck in changing the length of the text you can display? It appears that there are about 9 lines of possible text and about 50 characters in width. Has anyone had luck in using more of that space than what the original nag screen used? I have tried decompiling the executable, but my programming days are long behind me and I never was a C++ guy anyhow.

Just curious. If you have; I'd love to hear from you on how you did it please.

I'm also in for $20 or $30 to add to the pot for someone who can hack the navi to either disable the nag screen or to actually provide an enhanced Navigation Hack tool (easier to change text, buttons, etc...)

By the by, does anyone know of sites or newsgroups that post updated DVD's. I'm looking for Orange Version 3.5.

Thanks again.
- Vince

Checkout this page for the latest Navi DVD:

https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Acuradvdsales/naviorder.php
Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Yes,
1) Read this post again.

2) Use dumpnavi to extrac tthe boot .bin file for yuor car

3) Use a Hex editor to parse throught navi.exe. Use the search function to find key words in the disclaimer creen and replace those words with words of yuor choice.

4) When finished, save navi.exe and use dumpnavi to update the .bin file

5) Burn CD

6) Update Nav.

Once you get the hang of it, it takes about 10 minutes.
I have successfully changed the OK, but I am having trouble with the rest of the nag screen text. The nag screen text is in two places in the navi.exe file (starting on lines 00446f0 and 0044920). Do you need to change it it both places for it to be replaced?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:35 PM
8th Gear

i tried all these steps and now im stuck on step 10...it says c:\navihack is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. i'm not that good with computer as far as doing programs. and another thing the program i downloaded from http://philipedge.com/Acura_TL, i don't really know how to operate it... if u can give me some more steps on doing this it'll be very helpful ... thanks ... ali
Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
8th Gear

would someone want to do my navi hack screen for me? i'll email the info ... i really suck at this...
06 TL w/nav 5spAuto
Old 07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
8th Gear

Do not have 9 bin files

I am tryiing to update my splash screen, I have an 04 TL and DVD dis Orange v3.30G. I do not have a total of 9 bin files. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Safety Car

Recheck the disk. I have 8 *.bin files and 1 *.BIN file. The 9 bin files total to 104 MB.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
datmrman is THE man!

Just finished my splash screen upgrade and works great! It was very easy! Now my NBP TL is a "Falcons" NBP TL.

Two snags I hit...

1.) was not expecting the screen showing options for file selections after running dumpnavi. Answer: In the top box just chose the file you want to change (XXXXXX.bin) and the second box is back.bmp

2.) I got "Unable to open XXXXXX.bin". Answer: Check the properties of your XXXXXX.bin and make sure the read only box is unchecked.

Hope this helps somebody. This may have been covered in previous posts but I'm not going through 9 pages to verify...

Life is good.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Safety Car

Thanks and thanks!

I am assuming you are using the GUI version whereas my summary is for the command line. I will update the summary with your hints.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro

re

i only have 6 bin files in my dvd? why am i missing 3 files? i have all first 6 BIN files that you show on step 7, i am missing the last 3 man, btw my car is canadian.

help is appreciated

thx
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sln_olw
I am tryiing to update my splash screen, I have an 04 TL and DVD dis Orange v3.30G. I do not have a total of 9 bin files. Am I doing something wrong?
no, you did n't do anything wrong
i have 04 TL Canada version
what i saw is...6 files too
but it still works with the 6 BIN files
Old 08-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Instructor

i have a problem though...
i successfully changed my start-up screen
but when it gets to the screen where i have to press "OK" to lead me into the navigation map, it went completely black and a few seconds later, only the "OK" button showed up...i lost all the text, is there anyway to get those text back WITH my new start-up back.bmp? or is there anyway i could by-pass that screen so i dont' have to press "ok"?
thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Instructor

This sounds great. I need to know If i mess it up or just don't like it will disconnecting the ground fromthe battery for 30 seconds with the original disc in set it back to stock?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Instructor

animated gifs????

Can you use animated gif's and they stay animated???
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Could someone do something with either one of these images??? I want the symbol to be as big as possilbe without looking distorted with black background!!
thanks a bunch

Name:  MJ.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  1.2 KB

or this one would be sweet!!! if animated

Name:  jumpman.gif
Views: 135
Size:  43.1 KB
Old 08-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Racer

Will this also work on 06 Accord w/Navi? Would there be any differences in files, etc??
Old 08-22-2006, 03:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jeeper31
This sounds great. I need to know If i mess it up or just don't like it will disconnecting the ground fromthe battery for 30 seconds with the original disc in set it back to stock?
You don't need to disconnect the battery to reset to default; just reload with the original navi disk and everything will turn back to defaults. When that doesn't work, then you can disconnect the battery.

Originally Posted by MrKinn
Can you use animated gif's and they stay animated???

Originally Posted by MrKinn
Could someone do something with either one of these images???
If you can find a higher res image, you can try to make a request in this thread: Navi Hack BMP's (Images)
Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Racer

Dumpnavi says unable to open BIN file. It says that for all of them....what now??
Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chfields
Dumpnavi says unable to open BIN file. It says that for all of them....what now??
Check syntax... and the naming convention IS case specific. try . BIN and .bin
Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Racer

I got it to start listing, but then I get the windows error stating dimpnavi encountered a problem and has to close....
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there anyone who would create a new cd/dvd for my 06TL without the nag screen and a pic for a fee?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:34 AM
2nd Gear

Angry This hack only works for back.bmp?!?

I followed every steps and spent 3+ hours to find out that only thing that works is changing the background image. The nag-screen removal is replaced by a blank screen...and I still have to press "Go." That is very annoying...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:42 AM
A-SPEC

why does mine say "Unable to open BIN file" on the command prompt?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:04 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by simonsez
why does mine say "Unable to open BIN file" on the command prompt?

Is the file in the same directory as the program? Also if the file is read-only you need to change the attribute to make it writeable and I guess put it back to read-only.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
A-SPEC

Originally Posted by clsdave
Is the file in the same directory as the program? Also if the file is read-only you need to change the attribute to make it writeable and I guess put it back to read-only.
IT worked after i changed the file's attribute to not "read only"
it updated my Back.bmp file w/o any problems.

thx!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

i downloaded the files but there is no navi-nonag.exe in the zips. where do we get that file from???
Old 09-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Safety Car

See post #18.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Advanced

I have some programming skills. Can someone post navi.exe so i can take a stab at it?

Quick Reply: Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)