Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, im getting to the right file offset area and i see code there, but i dont think im disassembling it right because when i hex edit it i only get random code, letters, and symbols. What do i save it as or how do i export it out of IDA so that i can open it up in my hex editor?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Instructor

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but keep it up!!!! We need a fix for the OK button.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

When i load the Navi.exe into IDA i see what looks like code. Although within this "code" i connot find the text of any of the screens displayed on the screen.

When i hit save it saves the (Disassembled?) file as navi.idb

When i open this file with my hexeditor its shows a bunch of random crap, am i missing a step???
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MeltdowN
Actually, 0x0900 is the opcode for the 'NOP' instruction in the SH4 instruction set. Finding which instruction to patch in the disassembly is the hard part. I found 2 places in the disassembly where replacing a 'BRA' or 'BSR' (BRAnch and Branch SubRoutine) with a NOP might do the trick. I'll have to try it when I get back home. I think the SH4 is being driven in little endian mode (like in dreamcast), so 0x0900 will actually translate to the bytes 09 00 in hex.
MeltdowN - you are on the right track. We need to find the 'wait for OK button to be pressed' logic statement and replace it with a NO-OP (0x0900) so the Navi doesn't wait for a keypress.

I reviewed the code myself, but didn't find it yet.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dhartung02
When i load the Navi.exe into IDA i see what looks like code. Although within this "code" i connot find the text of any of the screens displayed on the screen.

When i hit save it saves the (Disassembled?) file as navi.idb

When i open this file with my hexeditor its shows a bunch of random crap, am i missing a step???
Hexediting is the last step after you decide what instruction or set of instructions to patch and at what offsets they occur in the executable, not in the .idb file. It is the .exe that gets hexedited not the .idb file. Typically, you might end up using 2 programs, one for disassembling and another for hexediting.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Meltdown....can you recommend a hex editor
Im using UltraEdit-32 and when i open the exe to edit it....some of the text is English, alot of it is just symbols and random stuff
Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
MeltdowN - you are on the right track. We need to find the 'wait for OK button to be pressed' logic statement and replace it with a NO-OP (0x0900) so the Navi doesn't wait for a keypress.

I reviewed the code myself, but didn't find it yet.
Yup, but IMO, it's easier to find the function that gets called to display the nag screen and then find where it gets called from and then patch it right there at the root, so it never gets called.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

MeltdowN are you having any luck deciphering the navi.exe code and finding the execution code that calls up the nag routine?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Actually, 0x0900 is the opcode for the 'NOP' instruction in the SH4 instruction set. Finding which instruction to patch in the disassembly is the hard part. I found 2 places in the disassembly where replacing a 'BRA' or 'BSR' (BRAnch and Branch SubRoutine) with a NOP might do the trick. I'll have to try it when I get back home. I think the SH4 is being driven in little endian mode (like in dreamcast), so 0x0900 will actually translate to the bytes 09 00 in hex.
Meltdown,

Oddly enough I think we both may be correct. I decided to go back and reread some of the old posts and I found this one by zax123:

Originally Posted by zax123
I'm working on the nag screen fix right now. I found the place to modify the instruction using a hex editor. Just set address 0x0900 to 90h. When I save the file, it's the same size as the uncompressed file extracted from the BIN but when dumpnavi.exe tries to put it back into the BIN, the compressed size is 2 bytes bigger and I don't know why. I even tried the same thing with the TSX bin (BNHN404A.BIN) and it also compresses to two bytes more. That's where I'm stuck right now. If someone has figured this out, PLEASE HELP. Thanks!

I'm still reading through to see if there were any other hints.

-apnar
Old 01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Instructor

I'm working on the nag screen fix right now. I found the place to modify the instruction using a hex editor. Just set address 0x0900 to 90h. When I save the file, it's the same size as the uncompressed file extracted from the BIN but when dumpnavi.exe tries to put it back into the BIN, the compressed size is 2 bytes bigger and I don't know why. I even tried the same thing with the TSX bin (BNHN404A.BIN) and it also compresses to two bytes more. That's where I'm stuck right now. If someone has figured this out, PLEASE HELP. Thanks!

-apnar
Compression can be increased by replacing some strings with the same character. For example, by replacing the first line of text in the nag screen with white spaces (0x20), you'll end up getting sufficient compression that you can update the .exe in the .bin file. That's what I ended up doing.

Anyway, my first attempted patch was unsuccessfull, will have to reset my nav later this evening
Old 01-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting closer????

Anyway, my first attempted patch was unsuccessfull, will have to reset my nav later this evening
What went wrong? Just a blank screen? I'm working for a software company and am going to see if one of the developers that works here can help me sort out the clues left by others....

Let me know if there is anything specific that I can ask him to help us out.

Lumpy

P.S. Sucks that the only way to undo is the battery ground
Old 01-18-2006, 04:33 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Just a note- there is a company in Germany which makes SH4 based PCs for development purposes, but they are expensive
Old 01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Instructor

There a several SH4 processor-based products that run Windows CE:

Nintendo Dreamcast
Hitachi Pocket PC: Hitachi HPW 600-ETM
Our Acura TL Navigation System
Old 01-19-2006, 09:40 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Hitachi is old and hard to find (none on ebay), other two don't have keyboards and not suitable for programming.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Battery or Fuse box?

Does anyone know if it is possible to juse pull the navigation's fuse and have the navigation reset itself or is it necessary to disconnect the battery? Also, where is the navigation fuse?

I've never disconnected the TL's battery but I'm guessing it is as simple as removing the cover and unplugging the negative terminal, right?

To lumpydog:
I got the startup image and then the navi app kept restarting, coz I guess it crashed or something.

To dhartung02:
Any hexeditor shoud suffice.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

can someone come up with the hack that allows GIF instead of BMP so that we can have moving GIF...... I tried to search for moving BMP file but no luck
Old 01-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by convenientstore
can someone come up with the hack that allows GIF instead of BMP so that we can have moving GIF...... I tried to search for moving BMP file but no luck
There is no such thing as an animated BMP.. or JPG for that matter. I highly doubt anyone will come out with an animated GIF hack (it would require the system to support a totally different picture format), so just stick with a nice BMP.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the startup image and then the navi app kept restarting, coz I guess it crashed or something.
Keep it up - sounds like your first try was close!
Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Safety Car

BMP Thread

A thread has been started just for posting navi splash images. Check it out!

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i-have-video-camera-college-campus-my-disposal-129948/

I have posted a few that I have managed to collect. Thanks to mod vp911 for providing the web space! I will continue to collect and post there.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Question

Does anyone know if it is possible to juse pull the navigation's fuse and have the navigation reset itself or is it necessary to disconnect the battery? Also, where is the navigation fuse?

I've never disconnected the TL's battery but I'm guessing it is as simple as removing the cover and unplugging the negative terminal, right?

To lumpydog:

To dhartung02:
Any hexeditor shoud suffice.

I haven't tried this, but to revert to the OEM screen, why can't we just enter the maintence mode, and hit load disc, with the OEM navi disc still in the drive? Has anyone tried this and what happens??
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by urbaita1
I haven't tried this, but to revert to the OEM screen, why can't we just enter the maintence mode, and hit load disc, with the OEM navi disc still in the drive? Has anyone tried this and what happens??
You can't reach maintenance mode coz the program that is the maintenance mode doesn't get a chance to load. The navi.exe was causing the navi to restart before loading any of the other programs. Anyway I disconnected my battery (-ve lead/ground) for about a minute or so and the navi reinstalled the software from the DVD. FYI, I didn't lose any of my other settings like my past destinations, etc. I did however lose my radio presets.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Are these steps necessary for just swapping the initial boot screen? I think not.. rite? can someone plesae confirm? Also, burning the cd as just data should do it.. rite?

dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe navi-nonag.exe
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Diag.exe
Old 01-20-2006, 12:03 PM
FOR SALE - BM

what are the best DVD to use... i wanna try this when i get home
Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt1
Hitachi is old and hard to find (none on ebay), other two don't have keyboards and not suitable for programming.
Yes - but I'm wondering if there are emulators for either... That run on a PC. If yes, I'm wondering if they could be used to test changes to Navi.exe.

I think Ive seen dreamcast emulators around. Also, I'm wondering if a pocket pc emulator would to the trick.

Lumpy
Old 01-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by urbaita1
Works exactly like you think.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

someone plesae answer.. can u just burn the cd as data??
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Are these steps necessary for just swapping the initial boot screen? I think not.. rite? can someone plesae confirm? Also, burning the cd as just data should do it.. rite?

dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe navi-nonag.exe
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Diag.exe
Sorry if this wasn't clear. If you plan on JUST changing the splash screen, you will ONLY use the first command (something like dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Back.bmp)

can u just burn the cd as data??
Yes, you need to burn the 9 bin files onto a CD/DVD as data. CDR/CDRW/DVDR works, so I've heard. I, myself, have used TDK CDR and CDRW without problems.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

oki.. another question for datmrman then, I just burned as data of 9 files(which I retracted them out to make sure new bin file contains the new back.bmp file).. however I reduced(someone did it for me to) 48k not 110k.... and now my startup screen just shows blank.. would it get effected if file size is smaller than 110k?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Instructor

oki.. another question for datmrman then, I just burned as data of 9 files(which I retracted them out to make sure new bin file contains the new back.bmp file).. however I reduced(someone did it for me to) 48k not 110k.... and now my startup screen just shows blank.. would it get effected if file size is smaller than 110k?
Your saying the file size went from 110 to 48? Sounds like your image either changed dimensions or had compression used against it. You cannot use compressed bitmaps on the TL. The only thing I know you can do to make a file smaller is reduce the number of colors that make up the bitmap.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jastor3759
Your saying the file size went from 110 to 48? Sounds like your image either changed dimensions or had compression used against it. You cannot use compressed bitmaps on the TL. The only thing I know you can do to make a file smaller is reduce the number of colors that make up the bitmap.
Looks like you (convenientstore) enabled compression, if you're using photoshop, you need to make sure that RLE compression is not selected. You can probably just open the image and re-save it with compression disabled.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

i dont have that kind of option to resave with compression disabled... batman logo worked(one that was posted already ) but not my creation(probably because of what u r talking about but not sure how to take away the compression)
Old 01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

i dont have that kind of option to resave with compression disabled...
What photo editor are you using to create your images?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

it's this pic

http://www.animelab.com/anime.manga/...0/lain02_1.jpg

also, from the bitmap list we have, one with matrix with ACURA logo is bigger than 100k.. and it's not working either
Old 01-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

I was refering to what program you are using to create the new splash images (i.e. Photoshop, Paint, etc)
Old 01-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpydog
There a several SH4 processor-based products that run Windows CE:

Nintendo Dreamcast
Hitachi Pocket PC: Hitachi HPW 600-ETM
Our Acura TL Navigation System
SEGA Dreamcast
Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

photoshop i am using
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

photoshop i am using...
(from other thread) I noticed that matrix with ACURA logo dont' work. It has 300+k size.. how do we shrink that?
In Photoshop, open the image. Image > Mode > Indexed Color > Local Peceptual with 173 colors. Save as BMP. That should do it!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

i have done that.. but when i update the file with that one.. navi shows blank at the startup for some reason
Old 01-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Instructor

i have done that.. but when i update the file with that one.. navi shows blank at the startup for some reason
What is the size of the resulting image? Also when you do 'File'->'Save As' after converting it to Indexed color mode. Remember to select 'File Format->Windows', 'Depth->8 bit' and not to select 'Compress RLE' or 'Flip row order'.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

please keep trying

ok, i'm good at the work i do, but it's far from this. so, on behalf of those of us who barely understand what the heck y'all are talking about: keep trying. The rest of us are depending on you.

Quick Reply: Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)