Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)

Hi all! I am new to the forums and I have been reading about this for a while now in the TSX forum. There are plenty of pages about it! One thread had like 40+ pages!

At any rate, to help out newbies like myself, here is a summary of what I found. Mods and senior posters, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently bought an 06 TL and tried this out on it. It works!

The original program was created by a very talented guy that goes by the name of Bysin. He has gotten into legal trouble since then and basically development has stopped.

Please see the thread located here for the navi images that you can use. Post all navi images in this thread.

Requirements:
----------------------
  • 3rd gen TL, or Newest gen TSX, or Newest gen Accord
  • DVD-ROM/DVD Burner drive to copy files from original Navigation DVD
  • CD/DVD Burner with software to burn new disks
  • Some computer knowledge with command prompt. If not, take a quick tutorial here
  • Perseverance to try try try again
How to get hold of the program:
-----------------------------------------

The programs (command and graphical versions) are currently available through here: http://philipedge.com/Acura_TL

Instructions on how to use the program:
---------------------------------------------------

They are also provided in the zip files that you download, but I will go into some additional details. I like using the command line version. There are hints at the bottom of this post for the GUI version.

ONE TIME SETUP: OBTAINING THE REQUIRED FILES
1. Put the keys in the car and turn it so the NAV turns on (dont need to start the engine). At the main screen of the navigation system (the disclaimer works), hold down the Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel buttons for 5 seconds.

2. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen.

3. Hold down the Menu button for 5 seconds.

4. Write down the filename next to the words "Loading
Filename" (mine is BNHH401A.BIN).

5. Leaving the keys in, open your trunk and find the DVD player attached to the navigation system.

6. Push down the front plate and eject the Navigation DVD-ROM. (You can now take the keys out of the car)

7. Place the DVD in your computer and copy all 9 BIN files onto your hard drive (should be around 104 MB), this includes:
BN2HH12C.BIN
BN2HH110.BIN
BN2HH120.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
BN2HN12B.BIN
BN2HN18B.BIN
BN2HN380.BIN
BNHH401A.BIN
BNHN404A.BIN
UPDATING THE SPLASH SCREEN (VIA COMMAND PROMPT)
The new pictures needs to be (to prevent lag):
  • BMP format with no more than 256 colors
  • named: "Back.bmp"
  • dimensions: 480x234x256 BMP (max)
  • size: 110 KB (113,068 bytes) (max)
  • size on disk: 112 KB (114,688 bytes) (max)
8. Create or obtain a new splash screen that meets the requirements. Name this file "Back.bmp" and place it within the same folder as the 9 BIN files. Also place the dumpnavi program in this same folder.

9. Open Windows Command Prompt ( Start > Run > "cmd" (Enter) )

10. Change the location to the folder containing the BIN files, new Back.bmp, and dumpnavi program.
Example: I copied all files to "Z:\TLNaviFiles" on my computer.
Start > Run > Type "cmd" (enter)
Change to correct drive, for me I type "Z:" (enter).
Change to correct folder via cd command, for me I type "cd TLNaviFiles" (enter)
11. Use the dumpnavi tool to update the splash screen to the BIN file.
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Back.bmp
12. If dumpnavi doesn't complain, then you are set! Burn the 9 BIN files to a blank CD, CDRW, or DVD.

UPDATING THE TL NAVIGATION WITH MODIFIED DISK
13. Insert the origional navigation DVD back into the DVD-ROM in your car.

14. Start the car normally (or put the key in and turn it so NAV turns on), and at the main navigation screen hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel for 5 seconds once again.

15. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen once again.

16. Take the origional navigation DVD out of the car, and replace it with the CD/DVD you just created.

17. Hit the "Load Disc" button on the Version screen. As suggested by ttliang, if you get a warning screen saying the disk is no good, just hit "guide+menu+cancel" again to bring you to the "version" -> "disc load" then it'll load.

18. It should take about 20 seconds for your car to load the new BIN and reboot. You shoudl see your new Once that happens, take out your burned CD/DVD and put back the origional navigation DVD.

19. If anything goes wrong, remove the ground to the battery for 30 seconds with the origional DVD in the car. The old OS will load back on the system.

FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY
Other files on the Navigation DVD may be modified. The following steps outline how to extract the files from the original DVD.
1. Use the dumpnavi tool to extract the files on the BIN file that was on your car
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract
2. The files will extract to the directory associated with the name of the file. The splash screen is called "Back.bmp". Other files may be modified as well with decompiler/HEX editor. No further instructions are provided. Do this at your own risk.

3. After modifying the files, use the dumpnavi tool to update them to the BIN, ex:
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Back.bmp
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update navi.exe navi-nonag.exe
dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Diag.exe
NOTES FROM MYSELF AND OTHERS
-----------------------------------------------
  • If using Photoshop, one way to meet the pictures specs is to convert the picture from RGB to Indexed (Image > Mode > Indexed Color). Once inside the indexed color dialog box, chose Local (Perceptual) from the Palette drop down menu. Then input 173 in the Colors field. This will alter your colors in your image because you are limiting the palette, so you might have to make some sacrifices or changes to the image. Then save as bitmap, 8 bit. Another way is to crop the image on the sides a bit.
  • DO NOT use Bitmap compression (RLE)
  • The BMP gets stretched vertically about 30% from the BMP to the screen.
    So just compress the image vertically by 30% and it should look normal when it's on screen. (I haven't played with this yet).
  • A CD, CDRW, or DVD may be used. So far, TDK CDRWs and CDRs work fine for me.
  • Burn the disk with Nero or similar program in ISO mode. I dont know if that makes a difference, but its working in this mode.
  • After a few changes of the splash screen, you may notice that the navi delays when loading. This can be resolved by using a fresh copy of the original BIN files. Tip submitted by Actuary.
  • GUI version tips submitted by cnst:
    1. Expect the screen to show options for file selections after running dumpnavi. In the top box just chose the file you want to change (XXXXXX.bin) and the second box is back.bmp
    2. I got "Unable to open XXXXXX.bin". Answer: Check the properties of your XXXXXX.bin and make sure the read only box is unchecked.
The intention of this thread is to keep it clean with mainly howto's and suggestions.

When posting questions, please be specific as to where you are having problems. Help us, help you. Please read the instructions carefully. Most of the time the answer is right there.

If dumpnavi gives you errors, I can't really help you there (others may still). The development has stopped for this program.

Good luck! I will post any additions and changes if needed. Mods and other members, please email or PM me for changes so that we make keep this thread clean. Thanks all! I'm glad to be here!

----------------
Last updated: Aug 9, 2006
The following 2 users liked this post by datmrman:
jds06eagles (09-12-2011), WizardKelly (07-26-2015)
Old 01-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happens to be excellent. I am going to sticky this thread and close the existing thread since it is so large and unorganized. Good job on summarizing everything.

For anybody wanting to read through the original thread see this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1368101
Old 01-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one question how do your get rid of the nag screen? i see you have a "navi-nonag.exe" file that was updated...explain?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My problem is that I have burned this DVD in different modes with Nero and it does not want to read it. I used both CDRW & DVD+R. Everything else works great except for that last part. I even went through all the other extra settings for Nero under the TSX thread and no win.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Would also be nice if someone could compile all the backgrounds into one location.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Pro

Question i need help how do i save it to my hard drive

Originally Posted by datmrman
Hi all! I am new to the forums and I have been reading about this for a while now in the TSX forum. There are plenty of pages about it! One thread had like 40+ pages!

i need help how do i save it to my hard drive and then what do i do what is the splash screen?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Wants an M3 in

^
Old 01-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Pro

Question it now said unable to openbootloader file why is that please help me out

it now said unable to openbootloader file why is that please help me out.i'm so lost with this.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Pro

Question please help me out of this?

please help me out of this?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

If you can't save files to your hard drive then you should probably stop where you're at.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by acura911
i need help how do i save it to my hard drive and then what do i do what is the splash screen?
Dude...was it really necessary to quote the WHOLE post in your question? Geez! Didnt get the point of his thread...did you! I guess at least I didnt quote an entire half page quote....damn dude.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro

Question i saved it now what do i do next

Originally Posted by HiTEC
If you can't save files to your hard drive then you should probably stop where you're at.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GeoffS
Would also be nice if someone could compile all the backgrounds into one location.
I was thinking of doing that too! Glad I'm not the only one. I set up the Hack Navi Poll to see how many people in the community would even use it.

I'm trying to find a place that I can upload some of mine at. I've been looking at photobucket and fotki.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blaze6257
one question how do your get rid of the nag screen? i see you have a "navi-nonag.exe" file that was updated...explain?
I haven't attempted to get rid of the nag screen yet. I am not sure either where I can find the navi-nonag.exe . I am assuming that you will have to edit the file with Hex editor.

Originally Posted by invincible569
My problem is that I have burned this DVD in different modes with Nero and it does not want to read it.
What works for me is finalizing the CD/CDRW (with just those 9 bin files) and being careful with the front lid of the TL's DVD player. Follow my suggestion on leaving the front lid open and using two people. To clarify: The front plate is the piece that covers the DVD slot and eject button, NOT the plastic cover that protects the dvd player in the trunk.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:09 PM

What works for me is finalizing the CD/CDRW (with just those 9 bin files) and being careful with the front lid of the TL's DVD player. Follow my suggestion on leaving the front lid open and using two people. To clarify: The front plate is the piece that covers the DVD slot and eject button, NOT the plastic cover that protects the dvd player in the trunk.

I remember doing that too. Sorry. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

The intention of this thread is to keep it clean with mainly howto's and suggestions.

When posting questions, please be specific as to where you are having problems. Help us, help you. Please read the instructions carefully. Most of the time the answer is right there.

MIN REQUIREMENTS TO DO THIS HACK
  • DVD-ROM drive to read the original Navi DVD
  • CD/DVD Burner with Software to burn new Hacked CD/DVD
  • Some computer knowledge

ADDITIONAL NOTES

The commands you see (like "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract") are done through window's command prompt (Start > Run > cmd). For the commands to work, the files you specify and the dumpnavi program need to be in the same folder. You will need to change to the correct folder via the cd command.

Here's an example on how to update the splash screen. I copied all files to "Z:\TLNaviFiles" on my computer.
  1. Copy all the bin files, new "Back.bmp", and dumpnavi program to "Z:\TLNaviFiles"
  2. Start > Run > Type "cmd" (enter)
  3. Change to the correct folder: Change to correct drive, for me I type "Z:" (enter). Change to correct folder, for me I type "TLNaviFiles" (enter)
  4. Run the progam. Type "dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN update Back.bmp"
  5. If you get no errors, the files are now ready to be burned onto CD/DVD! Continue to step 11 in the instructions.

If dumpnavi gives you errors, I can't really help you there (others may still). The development has stopped for this program and I am not planning to look at source code.

You can PM me if you want specific help, but please be detailed.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro

Question what is a bootloader and where do i find it

what is a bootloader and where do i find it
Old 01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't attempted to get rid of the nag screen yet. I am not sure either where I can find the navi-nonag.exe . I am assuming that you will have to edit the file with Hex editor.
According to one of Bysin's posts, this should not be too hard (for someone familiar with using a hex editor):

Bysin: "I didnt include the navi-nonag.exe or any other modified files with the zip because its copyrighted by Acura. All files that you wish to update you'd have to modify yourself. But I'm sure anyone with a SH-4 disassembler and a hexeditor can figure it out how to remove the nag screen. I'll give you all a hint, 0x0900 is nop."
Old 01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Instructor

OK - I've done a little research and found a SH4 dissasembler called "Ida Pro Advanced". I found it here: http://vetusware.com/download/IDA%20...04.15/?id=3377 (note this download site says it's a DOS file - it is not - it will run on Windows XP, Etc).

It's downloaded as an RAR file.

1) Download
2) Unpack it using WinRAR (available as a free download if you don't have it)
3) Run the executable in the unpacked files (.exe)
4) The prompt screen that pops up is apparently in a foreign language. Selecting the lower left "????????" button creates a new "Ida Pro Advanced" directory and unpacks all of the Ida Pro files into that new directory.
5) Within that new directory, double click the "Idag.exe" file and viola - you're running an SH4 dissasembler.

Now - what to do next? Take the dissambles files and edit with a hex editor (there are many free Hex Editors available on-line - do a Google search)?

What did Bysin mean when he said "0x0900 is nop"?

Come on - let's crack this bitch!
Old 01-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Now - what to do next? Take the dissambles files and edit with a hex editor (there are many free Hex Editors available on-line - do a Google search)?

What did Bysin mean when he said "0x0900 is nop"?

Come on - let's crack this bitch!

Tell me about it... There are so many knowlegeable computer people here and no one wants to crack/hack or whatever you call it, to the file.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Instructor

More....

All:

More info on the "disabling the nag" hint left by Bysin. Regarding the "nop" command: NOP is just an "ignore me......I do nothing" instruction....Usefull if you're hex editing and need to erase a section of code.

I take bysin's hint to mean that we need to erase the section of code: 0x0900

So taking bysin's hint and breaking it out:

1) Using the instructions in the first post of this thread - use the dumpnavi tool to extract the files from the Navi DVD's .bin files - (which will include navi.exe).

2) Use an SH4 disassembler (Bysin recommends Ida Pro Advanced in a post in this forum) to dissasemble the navi.exe file

3) Use a Hex editor to take the disassembled code and erase the 0x0900 section of code using the "nop" command.

4) (I'm guessing here) reassemble (compile?) the code as "navi-nonag.exe"

5) Using the instructions in the first post of this thread - use the dumpnavi tool to create new .bin files - which ill include the new navi-nonag.exe file and load them into you TL.

I'm not a software developer, but this stuff doesn't seem like it's too hard. I've been able to get the navi.exe extracted from the .bin files and dissasmeble it with Ida Pro. At this point, we just need someone who knows how to use a hex editor to do the same and then use the nop command where bysin hinted. Then reassemble and viola - no more Nag screen.

Anyone out there familiar with hex editors?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by lumpydog
All:

I'm not a software developer, but this stuff doesn't seem like it's too hard. I've been able to get the navi.exe extracted from the .bin files and dissasmeble it with Ida Pro. At this point, we just need someone who knows how to use a hex editor to do the same and then use the nop command where bysin hinted. Then reassemble and viola - no more Nag screen.

Anyone out there familiar with hex editors?
Well, I'm glad to see this thread getting some more life so hopefully we can bypass the manual OK button.

The general approach here is good, but it is too general. The devil is in the details. The next level of detail is:

1. Review the assembly code to try and determine the logic used to wait for the user to press OK.
2. If you cannot read the assembly code, find an SH-4 emulator and environment to step through the code and find the OK logic.
3. Steps 1 and 2 are hard to do. After you have found the logic, see if you can NO-OP the code that says 'wait for the user to press OK' without breaking the logic.
4. Use the Hex Editor to NO-OP the code and try it in the simulator (if available).
5. There could be a lot of trial and error here, especially if a simulator is not available.
6. Save the files back to a CD per the Dumpnavi instructions and try it in your TL.
7. If you made a mistake, it may lock up the Navi. If it does, remove battery cable and reboot TL.
8. Repeat steps 1-7, until you get it right. (this may take a long time).

I'll take a look at this using the Disassembler listed in this thread.

I can do a lot better job if someone can get an SH-4 Windows CE environment and emulator for me.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
10th Gear

Did anyone else have trouble getting the files off the DVD? I put the disc in my DVD-RW and Windows won't even acknowledge that there's a disc in there. Is there some special trick?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Just FYI, I think Honda / Alpine have changed some things, possibly to make this harder to do. For one, the dev info screen in the nav unit no longer displays the 'Loading Filename'. Lots of other nifty things there, but no filename display. That said, there are three .bin files in the root of my Nav DVD (v6.11C): 06AVN.bin, 06AVN2.bin, and VRDB.BIN. The only one which dumpnavi.exe will open up is 06AVN2.bin, and it crashes while in the middle of listing the file. I'm also unable to dump files with it.

This is disappointing, because I wanted to change the boot screen, remove the nag screen, and look into the possibility of replacing the word AUX in the interface with IPOD to match the hookup I'm building.

Ah well... I guess I'll have to look into this a bit more. < sigh >

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Oh, one other idea for those of you who are re-burning DVDs with all the nav system software on it. Look for the Honda and Acura dealer logos and replace them with just the color used to indicate transparency around the other icons. That's an easy workaround for disabling their constant display.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

I just ran the GUI dumpnavi and clicked on modify nag screen and updated it, and it ran successfully saying that the file had been updated.

Does this mean that the nag screen is removed?

i will burn it and try it tomorrow!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dhartung02
I just ran the GUI dumpnavi and clicked on modify nag screen and updated it, and it ran successfully saying that the file had been updated.

What version of the Nav DVD do you have? And what was the filename from which had to modify?

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

orange DVD
BNHH401A.bin
Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

orange DVD
BNHH401A.bin
Mine's sort of teal-ish. What version is listed on the disc itself?

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

ver 3.5
Old 01-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Cruisin'

ver 3.5
Ahh, yeah. That's WAY off from what is shipping now.

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006, 08:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by c0nsumer
Ahh, yeah. That's WAY off from what is shipping now.

-Steve
What version is available now? Mine is orange but is a 3.5 also. I just want to know how to get the damned .bin files off the disc.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thirdeye
What version is available now? Mine is orange but is a 3.5 also. I just want to know how to get the damned .bin files off the disc.
As I mentioned earlier, mine which came with a 2006 Honda Civic EX is v6.11C. All I had to do was pop the disc in a DVD drive. Be sure your drive can read double layer DVDs, though, since these are DL.

-Steve
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM
10th Gear

As I mentioned earlier, mine which came with a 2006 Honda Civic EX is v6.11C. All I had to do was pop the disc in a DVD drive. Be sure your drive can read double layer DVDs, though, since these are DL.

-Steve
Oh it can burn DL discs so it certainly can read them. For some reason I think Windows x64 can't read it, because I finally tried the disc in my laptop and it read just fine. I don't really know what else it would be considering my DVD-RW drive could also make a perfect image of the disc.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Team Anthracite Member

This means that all of the DISCLAIMER text is erased so you get a blank screen until the OK button comes up. You probably won't like it because it makes it seem like the Navi is broken since there is nothing shown between the startup picture and the OK button.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

Just FYI, I think Honda / Alpine have changed some things, possibly to make this harder to do.
This hack is known to work on the new gen TL and Accord. I have not heard of it working on the Civic. My 2006 TL came with a orange version 3.5 DVD so this suggests the navigation for the Civic and TL are fairly different (?).

For the Acura TL, the orange 3.5 DVD is the current version shipping. You can see for yourself here
https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Acuradvdsales/naviorder.php
Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Dissasembler

Ok, so i removed the bin from the DVD
I used dumpnavi to extract the files
I load navi.exe into the dissassembly using a SH4 processor type....(not sure of the settings....any help here would be appreciated)
i save to to navi.idc
i open navi.idc up with my HexEditor

I get some text that makes sense and a lot that doesnt.

I cannot find the line 0x0900 so i fee that it either isnt get dissasembled right or the hex isnt reading it right.

I am a coder but i have never used anything dealing with SH4. Does anyone have any advice to offer on this project? Has anyone gone this far yet with the info we have so far?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:20 AM
10th Gear

Well I got mine to work last night, but after doing it, I think it was a waste of time. The blank screen is *almost* more annoying than the disclaimer. If someone figures out a way to go from splash screen to map w/ no other interaction then I'll try it again.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

Ok, so i removed the bin from the DVD
I used dumpnavi to extract the files
I load navi.exe into the dissassembly using a SH4 processor type....(not sure of the settings....any help here would be appreciated)
i save to to navi.idc
i open navi.idc up with my HexEditor

I get some text that makes sense and a lot that doesnt.

I cannot find the line 0x0900 so i fee that it either isnt get dissasembled right or the hex isnt reading it right.

I am a coder but i have never used anything dealing with SH4. Does anyone have any advice to offer on this project? Has anyone gone this far yet with the info we have so far?
dhartung02,

I'm pretty sure that 0x0900 is the offest in the file, meaning how many bytes from the begining or such. There isn't likely any actual hex that shows as 0x0900. So the idea would be to move to 0x0900 in the file and replace whatever hex is there with the hex that represents a NOP instruction for the SH4.

-apnar
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by apnar
dhartung02,

I'm pretty sure that 0x0900 is the offest in the file, meaning how many bytes from the begining or such. There isn't likely any actual hex that shows as 0x0900. So the idea would be to move to 0x0900 in the file and replace whatever hex is there with the hex that represents a NOP instruction for the SH4.

-apnar
Actually, 0x0900 is the opcode for the 'NOP' instruction in the SH4 instruction set. Finding which instruction to patch in the disassembly is the hard part. I found 2 places in the disassembly where replacing a 'BRA' or 'BSR' (BRAnch and Branch SubRoutine) with a NOP might do the trick. I'll have to try it when I get back home. I think the SH4 is being driven in little endian mode (like in dreamcast), so 0x0900 will actually translate to the bytes 09 00 in hex.

Quick Reply: Hack Your Navi Summarized! (Change pics and remove nag screen)