GPS mount that fits nicely in here??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GPS mount that fits nicely in here??

hello,
I'm running out of luck finding a specific mount for my GPS. Was wondering if any of you have some cool strategies or mounts that u are using.

I am looking for a GPS mount for a TomTom 920 that can be
1) powered by the cigarette lighting
2) Placed firmly in place so it wont move, in the space in front of the power supply/storage slot and behind the gear shifter.

Reason why i would like it there is because it is in good view, and close to the power supply so I don't have to have the power wire running over my front console like if it was mounted on the air vent.

I have seem the car lighter black stick holders , and they look ok, but the look sort of cheap too...

Wanted to know if you were using it, or what you are using that is similar to my desired set-up, or a better idea.

thanks, D
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
What about a cup holder mount. I had one in my G35.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Designer...

I have a TomTom One XL-S and this is exactly where I mounted my GPS .. behind the gear shift... I just had to get used to returning the gear back to park because your fingers will hit the GPS screen...

I use the mount that came with the TomTOm.. what i did was opened that bottom flip up cover to expose the cig lighter/charger and that space to the left. I removed the rubber matting and placed that black circle (with 3m adhesive on it) to attach it to the floor of that space... then I used the suction cup to attach the mount there and the TomTom fits well. I twist tied the excess wiring and put it into that space so just enough pokes out to attach the mini-usb to the tomtom.

The GPS signal is still 5/5 bars... i was pretty impressed... and i'm not using any accessory antenna for the TomTom. It's easy to quickly peak at the GPS for navigation purposes and it's easy to tap on the screen from the driver's position or passenger's position.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Instructor

thanks,
the cup holder one is something i thought about too, but I find it too far the the right and behind and not with an easy view.

funny thing is, I also thought about placing the TomTOm and using the sticky and suction cup in the tray too!. Only problem is, I guess it is harder to remove when I leave my car. I don't want to leave the suction cup visible, and I want to make sure the cover closes with the 3M sticky thing sticking out abit...

or mabye i'm being to picky.

I will look into that again, but I was hoping to find a device that I can buy that will fit in that area perfectly.

thanks for the replies! keep em coming.
D
Old 12-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see where this goes.

I've been scouting that spot for my TomTom as well. I was trying to come up with something to wedge into that area by the cig lighter that is removable but have came up short so far...

Cup holder mount is a bit too low out of view I think.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

I am just able to close that cover with the sticky circle being there...

Oh.. and when I leave the car, I throw this car rag over the gearshift and TomTom .. yeah.. it's a little ghetto.. but just looks likes a dirty t-shirt and many wouldn't suspect it is more than that. (knock on wood)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Instructor

good idea!

I just tried fitting the suction arm device in the bottom tray without the rubber lining. IT doesn't fit. The arm of the suction arm is too short, so I can't make the circle suction base flat on the 3M adhesive in the tray.

I guess the TT920 comes with a pretty cheap suction arm.

I would need a new one for this too work.

I'm thinking of a way to some how attach the GPS unit to a sort of metal clamp thing that when pressed or squeezed it shrinks and can be fit in the tray, and when released it expands and stays firmly in the tray, and the GPS stay put.

Sort of like a reverse Black Bull Dog clamp..

ideas?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Aren't all these spots you guys are talking about a little low for safe viewing of the navigation screen?

Anyone got pics?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 AM
MANI88

PeterUbers, do you have any pics you can post?

I just got a tom tom as a present and i don't like the idea of mounting it on the windshield cuz i would have to take it off evertime i leave the car leaving suction cap marks on the windshield and making it look ugly and all that...
so yea, i'm thinking about mounting it down there.... any pics would be great! thanks!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Instructor

you could always get a Kuda mount and mount it to there. I know the picture shows a cell phone but you could easily mount a gps to that.

Linky
Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trell301
PeterUbers, do you have any pics you can post?

I just got a tom tom as a present and i don't like the idea of mounting it on the windshield cuz i would have to take it off evertime i leave the car leaving suction cap marks on the windshield and making it look ugly and all that...
so yea, i'm thinking about mounting it down there.... any pics would be great! thanks!

Sorry, no pics .. but I can tell you that once you get used to it... it's not distracting, you'll learn to glance down there real quick to get your visual navigation and you'll of course hear the GPS bark out directions as you approach turns, etc.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

Peter .... could you take a pic so we can visualize this? I tried to figure it out with my TomTom 920 and couldn't for the life of me figure out what you did. I can't seem to find anywhere that suction cup will get a surface for suction and still be able to mount the GPS in any sort of fashion that would work.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

gramzee -- see my thread with plenty of pics in this forum --
Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/hardwired-my-tomtom-one-xl-s-mounted-sorta-oem-style-713119/
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

yes I bumped across it last night after pm'ing you. looks good and i'm going to give it some thought. don't really want to give up those pockets but then again it wouldn't be hard to MOVE the gps out of the way .... i can be lazy sometimes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

The area I've placed my GPS is so "perfect" and central and as OEM looking as I'm going to get that I've quickly decided those doors/slots were pretty useless to me as there is plenty of center armrest storage and glove box storage and side door storage.