Are GPS & Climate Control Linked?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:47 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are GPS & Climate Control Linked?

Hi Folks,

Couldn't seem to find an answer in a search of the board. Apologies if repeat post.

When I bought my '06 TL automatic w/ Navi in Aug '06 the salesman told me that the GPS system was tied into the climate control system. This meant that the car knew where the sun was and increased A/C on the sunny side. Too cool I thought!

As the months ticked by I didn't see the car behaving like that and I didn't see that feature mentioned in the manuals. I began to believe that it was just BS.

Then I just recently I saw an Acura TV ad that said that either the MDX or RL had that feature. Hope returns!

So thought I'd ask. What's the real deal? Is this capability in my '06 TL or not?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
yes it has it, I have seen it at work a few times here in the heat of florida, I have had much cooler air while the passenger side has had a little bit warmer air, the temps were set the same.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, as found here @ cartype.com

--Climate Control
The intuitive nature of the Automatic Climate Control system is improved with 3D Solar Sensing, which works with the navigation system to determine the location of the sun, relative to driver and front passenger, and adjusts dual-climate settings to accommodate them.

When the sun is beaming elsewhere, the system will maintain the interior temperature where you set it. Or you can choose to adjust it manually using controls on the dash. Rear-seat passengers have their own controls for the amount and direction of airflow they receive. And to be sure the circulating air is nothing short of pure, an air filtration system helps remove pollen, soot, and even bacteria as small as three microns-smaller than the width of a human hair.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM
4th Gear

Wow great. It was the feature that "put me over the top" in the buy decision. Glad it's really in there! Thx, P
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I thought that it only had a sun sensor that detected the position of the sun and, then it would blow out cold air when facing the driver.

I have Non-Navi TL and in the winter when i have the heater on, it will start blowing cold air if im facing the sun. Its actually pretty cool because it works well.

Maybe the thing your talking about is something different?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Pro

I think it is a gimmick, because I have never noticed it work as advertised.

In any event, it makes no difference to me because I almost always ride by myself upfront. My wife prefers sitting in the back, making me look like her chauffeur
Old 10-26-2007, 08:49 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It definitely has this feature. I really notice it if I'm driving on a hot sunny day with the radio off. I can hear the airflow from the vents changing as I take turns. When I'm driving toward the sun, they blow harder than when I turn away from it.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 AM
4th Gear

Something just occured to me wen reading a related post on the TL's climate control system. Probably stunningly obvious to everyone else.

I bet the whole GPS/Climate linkage is disabled whenever one is not running on full Auto mode. Sometimes I go to 'AC Off" to save gas once the cabin is cool enough. Sometimes I toggle between fresh/recirculate as well which I think takes the system out of Auto mode.

So probably the reason I didn't see the feature like some of the more hotter climate owners did was because I did give the TL full control of the system with my manual overrides.

I guess to fully enjoy the car's climate technology I have to be willing to be a little less frugal on gas. At $3.00/gal that's been tough this past year.