Got Dom's PnP w/ a Backup Camera? STEP INSIDE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Got Dom's PnP w/ a Backup Camera? STEP INSIDE...

Wow, so things have been going anything but smoothly as of late. So, I installed Dom's PnP with a Boyo backup camera, which seemed like a relatively simple install that most anyone should be capable of completing...well, most anyone except those with exceptionally crap luck, such as myself.

So, here's what's going on: I completed the install as normal. White, white, black, green to ground; red to switched source (Fuse #32), and blue wire to backup camera...right?

The boyo backup camera has two leads - video and red (power).

So I tap off of the switched source which leads in to a relay; the relay is triggered from the reverse light, which then powers the BLUE wire on Dom's unit and the backup camera.

I do that, and BOOM fried fuse. If I disconnect the camera and throw it in reverse, the nav screen goes black, which tells me that Dom's unit is doing what it should be.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
hmm try everything without a relay. I did not use a relay in my setup.

I just had the blue wire from DOMs connected to the Green reverse Light wire.
I Also connected my reverse camera power wire to the green reverse light wire. I spliced both wires into the green reverse light wire at the same place.

No relay for me. But sounds to me like your relay might be wired incorrectly or is bad. Sure you have all the leads wired correctly? I would first remove the relay from the equation and see if it works.. (I do know you know alot about your wiring from your other threads, but maybe it is a bad relay?)

When i did this it sucked because of all the freaking wires lol ..
Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 AM
I need a car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ correct!
i did the same no need for relay!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by bzyrice
hmm try everything without a relay. I did not use a relay in my setup.

I just had the blue wire from DOMs connected to the Green reverse Light wire.
I Also connected my reverse camera power wire to the green reverse light wire. I spliced both wires into the green reverse light wire at the same place.
HOT DAMN, this might be my issue. For whatever reason, they are telling me to ground the green wire. This is something new I can try.

No relay for me. But sounds to me like your relay might be wired incorrectly or is bad. Sure you have all the leads wired correctly?
Checked, double-checked, triple-checked, then swapped out the relay to ensure it was correct. No dice.

I would first remove the relay from the equation and see if it works.. (I do know you know alot about your wiring from your other threads, but maybe it is a bad relay?)
Based upon what you're telling me, I am going to source all power for these items from the reverse lead, hell, can't hurt at this point in time.

When i did this it sucked because of all the freaking wires lol...
AMEN. I also have HID reverese lights and CCFL lisc. lights added to the mix, oh, and another wire for the HIDs for a "tailgater switch" It's a pretty clean install, but damn, yeah, wayyyyy too many wires, haha.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to try this out tonight.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by thait
^ correct!
i did the same no need for relay!
Wish me luck, then. I thought I would be done with this, have the subs in, and be back on installing LEDs, this is getting frustrating!

Thanks again for the help, guys.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
You gotta love modding!
I have the NavTool installed for about a year now. I can't remember my wiring, but it sounds similar to what the other guys are saying. I remember I had trouble getting my cam to display until I tapped the reverse lights---just don't remember which wire it was.
You didn't happen to take pics of the HID reverse lights install, did you?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by dwb993
You gotta love modding!
I have the NavTool installed for about a year now. I can't remember my wiring, but it sounds similar to what the other guys are saying. I remember I had trouble getting my cam to display until I tapped the reverse lights---just don't remember which wire it was.
You didn't happen to take pics of the HID reverse lights install, did you?
Some, I have not posted yet as I was just going to post the gamut of my latest mods. I'll snap some pics tonight when I'm sourcing this fawking problem of the install. It's quite easy to do and a big 'smile on face' mod when done.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Whoop, n/m

Last edited by DeathMetal; 01-13-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Finish your coffee before posting
Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
HOT DAMN, this might be my issue. For whatever reason, they are telling me to ground the green wire. This is something new I can try.
No.. I meant tap the blue DOMs wire into the green reverse wire of the car.. I followed all the directions that came with the DOMs. Do you have a small TV to try out your reverse camera? If you just connect it to a tv with the rca and just hit the power wire to the battery should show the image on the TV.. I did this with my camera before mounting it.. There is no ground wire with your camera? thats weird.. mine had one..

Yah the mess of the reverse HIDs, CCFLs, reverse camera and DOMs was a pain for me to clean up lol .. Im afraid to remove the covers to see the ugly mess behind there .. lol .. almost impossible to make look good.. well at least for me.. lol

Cant wait to see your progress pics man!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Thanks, BZ - did you have a boyo as well? I am starting to think that the lack of a ground cable is causing this issue...
Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

SON OF A GUN!!! Hahaha, I am such a retard!!! Both the ground and power are hidden beneath the wire shielding, no wonder why this keeps blowing!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

BOYO PURCHASERS, TAKE NOTE: CAREFULLY strip the sheathing to the power and ground cables, there's two more cables beneath!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Drifting

Glad you got it.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Thanks, BZ - did you have a boyo as well? I am starting to think that the lack of a ground cable is causing this issue...
SON OF A GUN!!! Hahaha, I am such a retard!!! Both the ground and power are hidden beneath the wire shielding, no wonder why this keeps blowing!!!

haha.. nice.. I have an Audiovox camera that was on sale on amazon.. it was 65.00 on sale from 150.00.. No problems here..

I knew it should have a ground!! lol .. IM suprised they didnt cut enough back so you could see both wires! Now get this thing installed! I want to compare the quality of this camera with the camera I got..

Only thing that sucks about installing the rear view camera is that the CCFL license plate lights are sorta blocked by the camera.. so not AS bright.. but still bright!

Like I said before cant wait to see the installed pics!!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Here is one of my Boyo VTK350 installed:

Be careful when dremeling out the plastic (and you will have to dremel it out a bit) as the heat can melt the plastic a bit. You can see it just above the camera. Acura does not sell just the brushed chrome plastic piece by itself---you have to purchase the entire Plate/Reverse Light housing for ~$250.
Here is another shot showing how I ran the cable:

Pop out the license plate light, notch it with a dremel, paint the bare metal with touchup paint, then take a network cable or similar and strip a bit of the plastic sheathing to glue over the cut (helps prevent cutting of the insulation on the camera wire).
Just passing along some experience.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Hey dwb.. I dunno if he can do it that way since he did the ccfl mod also.. I had to drill a seperate hole to run my wires through..
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Here are pics of my camera deathmetal.. You can see how I ran my wires.. I drilled a huge hole by accident because i bought the wrong grommet. Ended up having to use elecrical tape wrapped around the wires and push it through the hole to protect the wires and prevent water from going into my trunk.. you can also see my ccfls in these pics.. dunno if this will help, but doesnt hurt!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Depends on how the CCFLs are mounted, I guess. I thought guys were mounting them inside the trunk lid, shining through the OEM holes. If that is the case, it should work okay as the lenses pop right back in and are even watertight (I tested).

edit: you posted your pics while I was writing. DOH!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Guys, I am having NO FREAKIN' LUCK HERE.

So everything is wired as 'should be', and no fuses are blowing...but the only thing that is happening is the camera will turn on ONLY when the ignition is on and car in reverse...when the car is started, and put in to reverse, I get a slew of green lines and a black screen.

I am running out of ideas now. :wtc:
Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

I drilled/dremeled as well, fellas...new hold as to ensure the CCFLs kick some real ass...which they, and the reverse HIDs do.

...now if I could get this camera things resolve...

I am starting to think something is wrong with Dom's unit.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

QUESTION: Do you guys with a working camera get images while in reverse with both ingition AND the engine running?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Sounds like a possible ground issue. I know these video units can be sensitive to improper grounding---mostly with faint lines in the screen that scroll vertically. Double check all grounds to make sure you are grounding to a non painted, fresh surface. I have also heard that it is bad to use OEM grounds or any other shared ground location. The stereo guys attribute noise to this factor a lot.
To answer your question, my cam activates whenever Im in Reverse--engine running or not.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Drifting

QUESTION: Do you guys with a working camera get images while in reverse with both ingition AND the engine running?
Yes... Since mine is connected to a switch, I can turn on my reverse lights AND camera on with a flip of a switch..

Try a different video cable? Or try plugging in a different source, like a dvd player into the RCA plug for the reverse camera.. This will tell you if it is your DOMs unit OR your reverse camera causing the problems.. I had the same problem at first.. Then I changed to a high quality video wire.. and everything worked fine..

Are all the grounds on your DOMs unit grounded well? Does the other video input in your doms work correctly? (the one you can activate with a switch?) Try attaching your reverse camera to that plug instead. when you go in reverse your camera should show up on the screen when you flip the switch..
Old 01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

BZ, not only does your car inspire me, you've solved a problem I spent over 10 hours attempting to resolve.

Looks like it might be the camera, DVD player fires up fine.

Many, MANY thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Crap, it's the camera...well, at least I can draw this damn problem to a close.

Thanks, guys...I sincerely appreciate your help in getting this resolved.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Well if it is the camera, I would try a few things.. what did you ground the camera wire too? Try testing your camera with a tv if you have one that you could bring to your garage.. connect the rca to the video in of the tv and connect the ground and the power to the battery terminals.. if it works good, then it is either your ground that you were using to wire your camera or the video cable you are using needs to be better..

No problem man!! I intend to hit you up if I ever decide to do the interior led conversions you did! Now those are a work of art!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Drifting

btw.. i grounded my camera to the black wire from the reverse lights and powered mine up to the green reverse light wire.. try this! and get yourself a bad a$$ shielded video wire! I purchase some high end quality audio wire from radio shack for 15.00.. worked great in my case..
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Well, I tried grounding directly to the chassis and SOLDERED it to the chassis...and only the slightest of flickering, then crapped out. Something is wrong with this thing.

Good thing I got that square trade warranty!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Well, I tried grounding directly to the chassis and SOLDERED it to the chassis...and only the slightest of flickering, then crapped out. Something is wrong with this thing.

Good thing I got that square trade warranty!!!
Dogh.. that sux.. well if you want to try a different camera try the one I got.. I like the way it looks better then boyo.. quality is also great..

Still on sale!
http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-ACA20...CJFCAT2161EARV
Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

I think you'll change your mind once you see how I installed the boyo...

Ahhhh, well, at least this nightmare is kinda/sorta resolved...at least I can button up the side of the trunk for now and move on to the subs while I await to resolve this issue with the camera.

OH, BZ - if you're going to do the LED thing anytime soon, DON'T use a 680-ohm resistor for white LEDs...they're dying something feirce, I need to up the resistance to 1k (all 1K LEDs are juuuuuust fine)
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Drifting

I think you'll change your mind once you see how I installed the boyo...

Ahhhh, well, at least this nightmare is kinda/sorta resolved...at least I can button up the side of the trunk for now and move on to the subs while I await to resolve this issue with the camera.

OH, BZ - if you're going to do the LED thing anytime soon, DON'T use a 680-ohm resistor for white LEDs...they're dying something feirce, I need to up the resistance to 1k (all 1K LEDs are juuuuuust fine)
ooh cant wait to see the boyo install.. its different from the others huh? lol ... I gotta see this!!

No, I wont be able to do the LED swap for awhile.. maybe like a year awhile lol...