Getting your bass up front.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Getting your bass up front.

So I've heard alot of people with processors being able to get their bass so it sound like its coming from up front, not in the trunk. How does one accomplish this?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Bass is inherently nondirectional; if your crossover frequency is too high or. Your levels are not set correctly these can generate localization cues. If you are generating rattles these can add to localization. Bass frequencies are so long in wavelength that time alignment is difficult to use in a meaning full way.. Sometimes your phase control can be used (it's just like time delay but with a bigger adjustment range). Hopefully something like this will work for you.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't say bass is completely non-directional. It just matters far less than higher frequencies. If nothing else you can feel the direction the bass is coming from. Anyhow, I know some people said they've succeeded in this. Just hoping they'll share the EQ/TA tricks.

My system actually sounds pretty good as is, but there is always room for improvement.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Most people delay the front stage to match the sub. I've heard as much as 20ms depending on the type of enclosure. Does your unit do TA based off of distance or time?

Whatever the MS8 does, it does well. Even with the subs at 120hz it sounds like it's coming from the hood. The only giveaway is the seatback vibration. I know for a fact that it uses no TA on the sub, only the front stage.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My image is 360 and sometimes, it feels like I have a kick drum on my hood ! Sub & just a 2way front at the moment.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Strong midbass that blends into the bass will accomplish this.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by xxx_busa
My image is 360 and sometimes, it feels like I have a kick drum on my hood ! Sub & just a 2way front at the moment.
Did you TA your sub's or front's?? What kind of stuff did you do in your processor that made the biggest difference for this??
Old 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Most people delay the front stage to match the sub. I've heard as much as 20ms depending on the type of enclosure. Does your unit do TA based off of distance or time?

Whatever the MS8 does, it does well. Even with the subs at 120hz it sounds like it's coming from the hood. The only giveaway is the seatback vibration. I know for a fact that it uses no TA on the sub, only the front stage.
The 3sixty.2 does it based on distance in 2" increments up to 5'

No delay on the sub. I think the FR is 3' and the FL is 4'2" right now.

I basically estimated the sub distance and that became my delay for the next closest speaker. Then added the difference between the two fronts to the closest one.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Did you TA your sub's or front's?? What kind of stuff did you do in your processor that made the biggest difference for this??
You don't need ta to get this, I currently run a dsp, but was able to get ip front bass by lowering the xo on my sub to 63 or lower, and then under- lapping the mid a little and then slightly boosting the midbass region.

A lot of the punchiness that people like is actually a function of the Mids.

Just set your xovers and play dynamic music at a decent level with your levels between mids and sub equal, if your sub is pulling you ears back, slowly decrease the sub level till it disappears (sounds like it's coming from up front)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Mac
You don't need ta to get this, I currently run a dsp, but was able to get ip front bass by lowering the xo on my sub to 63 or lower, and then under- lapping the mid a little and then slightly boosting the midbass region.

A lot of the punchiness that people like is actually a function of the Mids.

Just set your xovers and play dynamic music at a decent level with your levels between mids and sub equal, if your sub is pulling you ears back, slowly decrease the sub level till it disappears (sounds like it's coming from up front)
Yeah I know. It was just a simple question to find out what he did in particular to get the feel that his bass was up front. Time alignment for subs is pointless. I agree that the true punch is from mids but you can also get a bunch from the subs, albeit it's directional feeling when it hits your back lol
Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
One thing that's nice about the TA is you can crank the sub level much more and run it at a higher frequency before it starts pulling to the back. Of course, it can sound like it's coming from up front without TA but you gain a ton of flexibility with it. Part of the reason I like to run my subs at least to 100hz is a pair of 15s are going to play that 63-100hz region (that most people leave up to the midbasses) with much more authority, less distortion, and less door rattle issues and if you can get it to still sound like it's coming from up front, it's a win-win.

I just pulled the door panels off to check the excursion of the midbass. Since I"m getting a mid that can play down to 250hz soon, I figured I could easily run a pair of 8s for midbass instead of the 6.5s. I boosted a lot in the midbass area and played songs with lots of midbass to give it a worst case scenario but with them high passed so high, there was very little excursion even at the limit of what my ears can take.

The 15s on a 63 hz tone at very high SPL are not visibly moving where the little 6.5s have to really work. The only issue is eventually the vibration in the seatback pulls the bass to the rear. It's all in my head, if I lean forward with my back off the seat, the bass sounds like it's coming from up front again. Fortunately, at the levels it requires to vibrate the seat back I'm having fun with it, not critically listening.