Getting burned on Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting burned on Navi?

Ok, so I haven't had my TL long. But it seems like I am batting under .500 on the nav. Is this normal?

First, on the third day having the car it guided me into a dead end cul-de-sac, the true desitination was visible from the end of the cul-de-sac but it was on another road. It seemed like a strange route cause it was a tiny residential street and the destination was on a large frontage road right off the interstate! When I finally got out of there and got the right street, then left later, it guided me on the frontage road and back to the interstate just fine. It should have done that same route in reverse when I was coming in! And yes I had the address correct. What the??

Then I was trying to show my wife how "easy" it was to find the nearest Starbucks, for example. Yep real easy...500 miles away! Turns out there is "Starbucks" "Starbucks Coffee" "Starbucks Coffee Co" "Starbucks Coffee Company, Inc" and about a million other ways to name it. You have to pick the right name to get the one by you. In my area apparently it is "Starbucks Coffee Co", any other way to put it and it brings up locations hundereds of miles away. What's up with this, and how do you guys know to select the right name of what you are looking for out of 12 different ways to spell and store or company?

Pretty damn frustrating if you ask me.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've experienced the exact same thing with Starbucks. That is probably the weakest aspect of the navi system: Its inability to do "fuzzy" searches. If I say, "Starbucks," it should show Starbucks, Starbuck, Starbuck's, etc. I'd also like to be able to store search presets. For example, once I figure out which flavor of Starbucks it likes, I could store that as a search preset such that the next time I'm looking for Starbucks, I can just recall that preset in any new town I'm visiting. I'd even like it to pepper the map with my "presets" so I don't have to explicitly search for them.

I've had it do some really weird routings, but it generally is dead-on. I think it's just bad luck that you've had two bad "hits" in such a short time. I'm definitely batting better than .500.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you cant do it that way for that exact reason. It is not the Nav's fault. Remember they use phone book entries so if the company lists itself incorrectly or not uniformly this will happen! Use the categorical search with the sort by distance to travel option. Works for me
Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
search by keyword and then by closest difference to travel...
Old 03-16-2005, 10:06 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I've tried the keyword->distance to travel for McDonald's and Starbucks with the same results. If I say "Starbuck," it won't find "Starbucks" or "Starbuck's." I want it to act like I wanted "Starbuck*" (wildcard search). Maybe I should try again as I could be remembering wrongly.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
wildcard searches should work if you user keyword... weird...
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I've tried the keyword->distance to travel for McDonald's and Starbucks with the same results. If I say "Starbuck," it won't find "Starbucks" or "Starbuck's." I want it to act like I wanted "Starbuck*" (wildcard search). Maybe I should try again as I could be remembering wrongly.
OK, I tried this again on Saturday. Actually, my wife tried it as I was driving. We were headed out of town and we wanted to pick up some Starbucks on the way. She followed the steps that seemed logical, but it found cafes hundreds of miles away. I then walked her through using the keyword search and it found all of the nearby ones, regardless of spelling.

I'll just need to remember to use that method as a first step instead of trying "by place name" like I usually do. I thought I had done the keyword search before, but I was wrong.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I am lost here. How do you do a keyword search? I search by Place and can't find anything within a zillion miles of me.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:07 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

For Starbucks, I think the sequence is...

Places>Category>Restaurants>All Types>Keyword (or is it Distance to Travel?)>"Starbuck"

I'm not in my car to verify, but it's something like that.