Get this disc to show off the ELS 5.1 Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will these discs also work as intended in my 5.1 Home Theatre system?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Lt. Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akjohn
Is this a standard CD of DSOTM? I have found a SACD but not a DVDA.
It is a DVD-A ISO that is floating around in the neverland of the Internet. A little googling should point you in the right direction.

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Will these discs also work as intended in my 5.1 Home Theatre system?
Yes.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM
INSERT KEY, TWIST, AND...

NIN [halo19] "with teeth" also has some sweet and sick mixes by TR. I bought a "dualdisk" CD which gives you CD on one side, and DVD-A 5.1 (with extras) on the other side. It's well worth the effort to look for these "dualdisk" CD's...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, not all DualDiscs have DVD-A on the flipside. There were some folks who purchased DualDisc releases thinking it's playable on the ELS and were disappointed it would not.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RICHW
NIN [halo19] "with teeth" also has some sweet and sick mixes by TR. I bought a "dualdisk" CD which gives you CD on one side, and DVD-A 5.1 (with extras) on the other side. It's well worth the effort to look for these "dualdisk" CD's...
FYI, not all DualDiscs have DVD-A on the flipside. There were some folks who purchased DualDisc releases thinking it's playable on the ELS and were disappointed it would not.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Nice find. Got it at Target the other day. Sounds incredible in the car.

I can't help but feel a bit conflicted about it though. On one hand it seems like exactly what the Beatles would have done if multichannel was a viable way to release music back then. They did really mess around with channels a lot so it seems to make sense. But then I sometimes think it sounds like a really, really good Beatles "cover band" doing their "updated" versions of the Beatles tunes. Some of the re-working is just a bit too much for me.

So is it heresy or art ? Talk amongst yourselves

And am I the only one who can't get the companion CD disk to rip to my iPod ? Craps out on song 14.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro

I found some of tracks on LOVE too outlandish for my taste, especially track 8 (titled gnik nus), which was "remastered" backwards. It sounds Germanish or gibberish. I am NOT saying German sounds gibbernish AT ALL ... just to make my point very clear to avoid any flame or misunderstanding.

Anyone heard of the DVD-A and CD combo pack sold at Walmart for Eagles' Farwell One Concert in Melbourne? I believe it is being sold at $12 ... an easy way to squeeze more $$ out of the very good DVD-Video itself :-)
Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
10th Gear

Here is a site that I get some of my DVD-A's from, not the best prices around but have everything from classical to rock.
http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=907
Old 12-05-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Boognish
Here is a site that I get some of my DVD-A's from, not the best prices around but have everything from classical to rock.
http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=907
Thanks, Boognish! I am looking for more and more titles... the links are helpful!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I can't help but feel a bit conflicted about it though. On one hand it seems like exactly what the Beatles would have done if multichannel was a viable way to release music back then. They did really mess around with channels a lot so it seems to make sense. But then I sometimes think it sounds like a really, really good Beatles "cover band" doing their "updated" versions of the Beatles tunes. Some of the re-working is just a bit too much for me.

So is it heresy or art ? Talk amongst yourselves
Originally Posted by kenny5
I found some of tracks on LOVE too outlandish for my taste, especially track 8 (titled gnik nus), which was "remastered" backwards. It sounds Germanish or gibberish. I am NOT saying German sounds gibbernish AT ALL ... just to make my point very clear to avoid any flame or misunderstanding.
Since at least some of the original parties, and in particular George Martin, were involved, I say art. Gnik Nus is certainly not my favorite, but it helps if you visualize the Cirque Du Soleil (sp?) performance that it was created for. I can imagine acrobats doing all sorts of crazy things to these songs.

Originally Posted by Adobeman
And am I the only one who can't get the companion CD disk to rip to my iPod ? Craps out on song 14.
No problems with EAC here.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:20 AM

A Link To Dvd-a Listings

http://www.elssurround.com/links.asp
Old 12-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Cruisin'

DVD-A Great format but can we just let let alot of the older music just die ?? Some of it is great, but for me I need some newer stuff. More of todays music Rock, Alternative, R&B, Hip Hop, ect.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:48 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Amazing disc. Wish they would have carried through with Blackbird, but truly amazing indeed.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM
7th Gear

Has anyone had a problem with the thickness of dual format discs? I would enjoy having the new Talking Heads collection which has DVD-A on one side of the disc. However, I am a concerned about the thickness of the discs jamming my changer.
I did a quick search of the forums but did not find specific problems or experiences with these discs.
thanks...jb
Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Safety Car

I've haven't enocuntered any problems using DualDiscs. Plays fine for me.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the thickness of dual format discs? I would enjoy having the new Talking Heads collection which has DVD-A on one side of the disc. However, I am a concerned about the thickness of the discs jamming my changer.
I did a quick search of the forums but did not find specific problems or experiences with these discs.
thanks...jb
I have found that they do tend to scratch a lot easier especially in computer CD drives. I think the thickness is a factor there. Never had a problem in the TL though.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
Smile Beatles "Love" Deluxe Edition DVDA

In a word AWESOME! Surround mix, is the equivalent of listening to Sergeant Pepper, in 1968. Great job by the Martin's. Will spoil you for anything else.
"ALL U NEED IS LOVE"!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by 1234bear
DVD-A Great format but can we just let let alot of the older music just die ?? Some of it is great, but for me I need some newer stuff. More of todays music Rock, Alternative, R&B, Hip Hop, ect.
Much of today's music is nothing more than a flash in the pan. People will still be listening to the Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin 100 years from now. Still there are plenty of more recent classics -- Nirvana comes to mind -- that would be very welcome. And I would love to have Gnarls Barkley on DVD-A!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Cruisin'

The Flaming Lips should definitely be on everybody's rotation...."Yoshimi..." and ..."the Mystics" were already mentioned, but their "Soft Bulletin" record is essential...if you like the atmosphere of Floyd, the style of the Beatles, and quirky vocals ala Dylan...toss in some psychedelia, progressive rock, electronica, and oddball fun all in 5.1...viola....the Flaming Lips.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

"Much of today's music is nothing more than a flash in the pan."

"And I would love to have Gnarls Barkley on DVD-A!"

Uhhhhh.....
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

i did it I popped my dvda cherry with the beattles

all i can say is the 16.29 i spent on the dvda from costco was the best investment i have made all year. The ELS is truely amazing, i just got my TL about 3 weeks ago and this was my first dvda. Amazing i have a lexus gs300 awd with the mark levinson system and it soes not sound this good............ This experience over shadows any short comings I had about the build quaility of this car........what rattles with els turned up it does not matter

thank for helping me with this purchase,
Old 12-09-2006, 02:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by soniqfreq
The Flaming Lips should definitely be on everybody's rotation...."Yoshimi..." and ..."the Mystics" were already mentioned, but their "Soft Bulletin" record is essential...if you like the atmosphere of Floyd, the style of the Beatles, and quirky vocals ala Dylan...toss in some psychedelia, progressive rock, electronica, and oddball fun all in 5.1...viola....the Flaming Lips.
You are so correct about the greatness of the lips, soft bulletin is next on my list of DVD-A's. Allready have the cd but can't wait to experience in 5.1 the other two have blown me away.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by soniqfreq
I picked up At War With the Mystics today. This is an incredible disk. The entire disk is very good. SOme of the music is absolutely beautiful.
Is Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin available on DVD-A?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

I picked up At War With the Mystics today. This is an incredible disk. The entire disk is very good. SOme of the music is absolutely beautiful.
Is Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin available on DVD-A?
Yes sir, it is ..... click here or here. i should've been more explicit, the link is for "Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is also available.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Yes sir, it is ..... click here or here. i should've been more explicit, the link is for "Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is also available.
Since buying my TL a month ago, I have become addicted to DVD-As. Looks like it's time to drop another $46 on music.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CPR
In a word AWESOME! Surround mix, is the equivalent of listening to Sergeant Pepper, in 1968. Great job by the Martin's. Will spoil you for anything else.
"ALL U NEED IS LOVE"!
100% agree...Track 23 "A Day in the Life" will blow you away...fantastic!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Saw this in the store a few weeks ago and dismissed it as yet another "just-in-time-for-Christmas-stocking-stuffer-Beatles-compilation".

Boy was I wrong. Stumbled on this thread last night and picked up the dual disc version of the album today at BestBuy. Somtimes there just aren't words to describe what you hear...

If you haven't bought this, get it.

Lumpy
Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" on DualDisk is another good album in surround sound. It is the only disk that has stayed in the player since I got it about a year ago.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Burgman
Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" on DualDisk is another good album in surround sound. It is the only disk that has stayed in the player since I got it about a year ago.
I have always loved that CD....looks like I will need to go out and get the DVD-A version.

Of the people that have purchased the "Love" DVD-A, what particular tracks have stood out for you ?

For me the mash up of "Drive My Car" is simply amazing as is the "Hey Bulldog" riff that is used for the solo in "Lady Madonna".

And I really like how the Martins selected "Because" as the opening song which contains the line "love is old love is new".....what better way to introduce a CD/DVD-A they titled "Love". And of course then end the disc with "All You Need is Love".

I'm still amazed each time I listen.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Pro

Many of the tracks are very good for their sonic exuberance, but track 23 "A Day in the Life" is particularly noteworthy because it fully and truely brings out 5.1 format's performance. The cresendo, at several places in the track, REALLY ROCKS, and the ending is magnifique!!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

With the "Blue Man Group" touring the country right now I would have thought it would have been right up there at the top of this list. At least someone did refernece it in the middle of page 2. Get it, it's GREAT!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndabunka
With the "Blue Man Group" touring the country right now I would have thought it would have been right up there at the top of this list. At least someone did refernece it in the middle of page 2. Get it, it's GREAT!
ndabunka.....Does "Blue Man Group" have only one DVD-A or more than one ? If more than one which would you suggest ?

Thanks !
Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Adam - The one I have is titled "Blue Man Group Audio: Surround Mix. I've had it for about 3 years now and I am certain that they have cut a number of them by now but this was the only one available in the DVD-A format. The "style of music they do makes for great channel separation. It is a two sided disc that can be played in either a std DVD player or a DVD-A player
Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adamo0926
ndabunka.....Does "Blue Man Group" have only one DVD-A or more than one ? If more than one which would you suggest ?

Thanks !
I have Blue Man Group - Complex. I highly recommend it. It's one of the few DVDs that channelizes the mid range thru the center speakers.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:48 PM
6th Gear

I liked the "Baby You Can Drive My Car" tune as the best of the disc. I never thought much of the song by itself, but this latest version is terrific. All I can say is "More cowbells!"

I was wondering if the Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" DVD-A is any good. Anyone have it?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
I have Blue Man Group - Complex. I highly recommend it. It's one of the few DVDs that channelizes the mid range thru the center speakers.
I agree complex rocks!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Lt. Dangle

Interview with Giles Martin

For anyone interested in a little background info on the Beatles "Love" CD/DVD-A, I recommend the December 21 "All Songs Considered". I just downloaded and listened to the podcast and it was very interesting. Giles Martin is, I think, overly modest.

Anyway, here is the link.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
9th Gear

Can not beat TL's DVD-A & Beatles' Love disc

OK, easy enough to agree that this Beatles disc sounds absolutely great in 5.1 SS. Other discs worth checking out include Doors LA Woman (the title track is outstanding showcasing the tightness of the band along with Densmore's underrated drumming) and Led Zep's "How the West Was Won" - for this disc, I just wish the TL had a bigger amp to propel the sounds.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Adamo0926
Of the people that have purchased the "Love" DVD-A, what particular tracks have stood out for you ?
I really like the layering of "Tomorrow Never Knows" with "Within You Without You." Amazing how well the two fit together. I also rather enjoy when the backing orchestra cuts out on "Hey Jude" because it's like being at a McCartney concert--he always stops the band to have the audience sing. As others have mentioned, the medley of "Drive My Car" into "What You're Doing" is a good one as well.

I'll have to play it on my home stereo this weekend to see how it sounds (I have a Marantz universal player). Also makes me interested in playing it back-to-back with the mono Sgt Pepper and Revolver LPs I just picked up on eBay.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Lt. Dangle

When I first got the disc, I focused on my old favorites: Get Back, Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, Revolution and A Day in the Life. I really DID NOT like the version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps (mostly due to the absence of Eric Clapton's guitar work). However, it has grown on me and much like the movie version of a favorite book, I have started to enjoy it as a separate work. As I have gotten deeper into the disk, I have also started to enjoy the songs that were not "big hits" for me just as much if not more. I find Because mesmerizing. I have never much cared for Ringo's songs, but I really enjoy this version of Octopus's Garden. And I really enjoy the transitions -- the way Glass Onion bridges Get Back with Eleanor Rigby for example. I still struggle with Gnik Nus and I am sorry to admit I just have never seen the allure of Hey Jude . . .

Quick Reply: Get this disc to show off the ELS 5.1 Sound System