Get this disc to show off the ELS 5.1 Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Get this disc to show off the ELS 5.1 Sound System

DVD-Audio The Beatles "Love"

I just drove back from Barnes and Noble after buying this disc (actually a 2 disc set, one stereo CD and one 5.1 Surround DVD-A). I have not heard anything that shows the capabilites of the ELS 5.1 System like this disc does. Mesmorizing is the only way that I can describe what I have heard so far. This is, plain and simple, a sonic feast. If you were not a Beatle head before you might become one after listening to this disc. If you were already a Beatles fanatic, like myself, you will be blown away. You get the sense that you are sitting in on an Abbey Road session with the boys.

Not sure how much you have all heard about this release. George Martin, The Beatles original producer, and his son Giles Martin have remixed and remastered 26 Beatles tracks combining drums from one song, strings from another, guitar riffs from another, etc. It's an amazing piece of work. It's little wonder it took them 3 years to complete. When I first heard about the project I was majorly skeptical. I mean how can you do this to a legendary rock band. Well I sold George and Giles short (a big mistake). George Martin proves what a studio genius he is with the completion of this project.

So far I find the disc rocking, ethereal, fun and moving, all at the same time with certain passages. Listening while driving home from making the purchase I felt as if I were in a studio on wheels.

Geroge Martin has said this is the final piece to his producing puzzle regarding The Beatles, and if indeed it is, what a way to dot the i's and cross the t's. He proves, once and for all, that The Beatles were and are the greatest rock band that has ever graced this planet.

If you want the jaws of your friends to drop during a listen to your ELS 5.1 Surround system then buy this NOW, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:48 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I agree 100%. Get this disc if you like the music, or want a great 5.1 demo disc.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Thanks for the recommendation - ill see if i can pick this up.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish it weren't Black Friday. I would go get one today. I've heard this is the best Beatles album ever.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Sick... I have been looking for a good 5.1 cd that everyone will like when I show them. I'm at my mothers for the holiday and she will probally be jealous :P
Old 11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Got the dvd-a at costco yesterday for $16.xx. Awesome dvd-a. Great sound from the greatest band of all time. You can't go wrong with this.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Pro

Are the tracks on the CD and DVD-A identical? How many songs are on each disk? Can anyone kindly take the time to list the songs? I have many Beatles' music on CDs, but not DVD-A, and I am sure this will be quite an experience.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Instructor

I'm glad I read this post this morning, I grabbed the last CD/DVDA combo at Target on sale this evening.

It really is great. I think of it as a Beatle's 'mash-up' album really, as the elements from different songs are blended together. I've been enjoying mashups a lot lately, and to hear the Beatle's stuff get the same technique applied, and to hear it applied so technically well.... luscious.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Instructor

P.S.- I forgot to add...

Anyone who insists that the TSX's stereo is in the same league as the TL's has tin ears. The TL doesn't blast you with volume, but the precision and detail is SO much better than the TSX, which is fatiguing to listen to long term. I just had a TSX service loaner for a few days, so I had a chance to find out....
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Now that you have mentioned this 5.1.. I realize that I have NEVER experienced it before. Is it that awesome? I'm sure to pick this CD/DVD-A combo up. Does anyone know of any other DVD-A combos? Any Genre would be good.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:29 PM
05 TL

I'll buy it just because I like 5.1 disks. But I really have problems listening to 'old' music

It just doesn't have the depth that I want to hear. BUT I havent heard it. My favorite DVD-A is Linkin Park's Reanimation.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...=5273949&BAB=E

Listen to the tracks:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...=4859256&BAB=E

They sell it at Best Buy... CC... Frys... (this website is a little expensive... But I HATE Amazon)
Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Racer

Hey Kracker.....this may be "old" music but it certainly doesn't sound like it on this disc. Remember, not only is it a remixed mash up but it's been remastered as well.

Producer George Martin is not considered one of the best in the business for nothing...
Old 11-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kenny5
Are the tracks on the CD and DVD-A identical? How many songs are on each disk? Can anyone kindly take the time to list the songs? I have many Beatles' music on CDs, but not DVD-A, and I am sure this will be quite an experience.
Kenny....the CD and DVD-A are identical....here is the track listing:

1) Because
2) Get Back
3) Glass Onion
4) Eleanor Rigby - Julia translation
5) I Am the Walrus
6) I Want to Hold Your Hand
7) Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing
8) Gnik Nus
9) Something - Blue Jay Way translation
10) For the Benefit of Mr Kite/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter
11) Help
12) Blackbird/Yesterday
13) Strawberry Fields Forever
14) Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
15) Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
16) Octopus's Garden
17) Lady Madonna
18) Here Comes the Sun - The Inner Light translation
19) Come Together/Dear Prudence - Cry Baby Cry translation
20) Revolution
21) Back in the USSR
22) While My Guitar Gently Weeps
23) A Day in the Life
24) Hey Jude
25) Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
26) All You Need is Love

The entire price is worth it just to hear the "Drive My Car" mix and "Lady Madonna" where the Martins insert the "Hey Bulldog" riff instead of the usual solo in "Lady Madonna".

You wouldn't think doing something like this could possibly work....but it not only works...it's a completely fresh new take on The Beatles music.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:57 AM
05 TL

Its on my shopping list for tomorrow.

I knew the 'old' would get some attention .

I think my prior experiences with early 70s music were re-releases... I'm actually looking forward to listening to it tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have picked up so far...

Best of Seal
Best of R.E.M.
Stained 14 Shades of Grey
The Crystal Method Legion of Boom
Disturbed Believe
The Doors L.A. Woman

I have been looking for more good DVD-A for a while. I will be on the lookout for this one now.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by FADE
I have picked up so far...

Best of Seal
Best of R.E.M.
Stained 14 Shades of Grey
The Crystal Method Legion of Boom
Disturbed Believe
The Doors L.A. Woman

I have been looking for more good DVD-A for a while. I will be on the lookout for this one now.
I picked up The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD-A. A great live performance. I Recommend picking up the Beck DVD-A. Most excellent...

I am going to Costco to look for the Beatles DVD-A. I saw the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" at Best Buy. Might pick that up too.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Thread Necromancer

I picked up the Beatles DVD-A. It is very good.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I picked this up last night after reading your post. Describing it as a "sonic feast" is accurate but understated as well. I was trying to think of a way to describe this truly amazining compilation of sounds and well, couldn't. Audio orgasmic comes to mind.
I put it on before I left the parking lot and was giddy from track 1. The only negative about the whole thing was the explaining I had to do as to why it took almost an hour to get home.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:28 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Originally Posted by FADE
I picked up the Beatles DVD-A. It is very good.

One of the best albums I've ever heard, such a good buy thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Thread Necromancer

Originally Posted by Kracker
I'll buy it just because I like 5.1 disks. But I really have problems listening to 'old' music

It just doesn't have the depth that I want to hear. BUT I havent heard it. My favorite DVD-A is Linkin Park's Reanimation.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...=5273949&BAB=E

Listen to the tracks:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...=4859256&BAB=E

They sell it at Best Buy... CC... Frys... (this website is a little expensive... But I HATE Amazon)

Linkin Park's Reanimation is a good album but I all ready have it on CD. I don’t feel the need to get it again on DVD-A. That is the problem with most the DVD-A I have found. The ones I would buy I have all ready on CD.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Picked up Love at costco for $16 and it is really a great mix, the fact that it comes with another cd is great to be able to use in our other vehicle or to load into the TL to compare between the stereo mix and the 5.1
Old 11-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Instructor

I picked up this cd last night and it's awesome. I was also looking for some HipHop/R&B/Rap 5.1's too but no luck. Anyone know of any?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:13 PM
10th Gear

wow

this is a great cd. i am a "lukewarm" beatles fan but this really is a great buy.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by superfloofay
I picked up this cd last night and it's awesome. I was also looking for some HipHop/R&B/Rap 5.1's too but no luck. Anyone know of any?
I saw an R Kelly title on DVD-A at my local Best Buy
Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Lt. Dangle

Got "Love" this morning on the way to work and all I can say is "WOW"! I am amazed at the sound quality. I knew George Martin was a genius, but clearly he also knew what he had as it was being recorded. The masters are obviously in great shape. I also like the fresh take on many of the songs (although I am not a fan of the included version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps). The DVD-A is a revalation -- of The Beatles music, of DVD-Audio as a format and of the TL's sound system.

Now if Sony would come off it's SACD high horse and revisit Pink Floyd's Echoes for surround sound on DVD-A . . .
Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Advanced

for those of you NZB friendly people
http://www.newzbin.com/browse/post/2209343/
Old 11-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Outkast has one.. It was on ebay..

Does anyone have the metallica DVD-A.. or the foreigner "4" dvda??? These are the 2 i really want!!! How do they sound?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:30 AM
10th Gear

great recommendation!

i ran out and got it based on this tread, and it really is as good as everyone is claiming...

even for someone like me that doesnt know squat about the beatles, i could definitely appreciate the quality that the sound engineers produced on this album. the acoustics are amazing! i kept turning my head back and forth to hear all the different sounds working from every speaker!

it really is impressive and greatly complements the TL sound system!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Lt. Dangle

I have Dr. Dre's The Chronic and Snoop Doggy Dogg's Doggystyle on DualDisc, but both have video content, so I had to extract the DVD audio and reburn as DVD-A. The discs are not in surround, however, so you only get higher resolution stereo. The do sound good, though.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by MrKinn
Outkast has one.. It was on ebay..

Does anyone have the metallica DVD-A.. or the foreigner "4" dvda??? These are the 2 i really want!!! How do they sound?
I have both. Metallica sounds good; the surround effects are not overwhelming, but sound like the "fit" the recording. Foreigner 4 . . . eh. Sounds good, but nothing special. Quite honestly, I am not even sure it is in surround. It might just be high resolution stereo. Nothing to write home about.

I have Yes Fragile and Wings Band on the Run coming this week; I hope those two will be better.

I think the Beatles "Love" really underlines the problem for DVD-A. The record companies really need to deliver a "new" listening experience to get anyone to re-buy albums. I am sure the average person who does not have a TL sees little value in buying an album they can only play in their DVD player (perhaps only through their TV speakers) and can't copy to their MP3 player (at least as far as most people know). Now if everyone would stick to the DVD-A spec for the DVD side of DualDiscs, we might have something.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Instructor

I just got my metallica dvd-a today and went right outside started the car turned the ac on and cranked it..... This is the only dvd-a i have heard so i what i heard i liked... Nothing i heard really made me purk up.. i have never been a beatles fan but all this talk i just might get it to hear what ( no pun intended ) what all the talk is about... i plan on getting the blue group too...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by MrKinn
I just got my metallica dvd-a today and went right outside started the car turned the ac on and cranked it..... This is the only dvd-a i have heard so i what i heard i liked... Nothing i heard really made me purk up.. i have never been a beatles fan but all this talk i just might get it to hear what ( no pun intended ) what all the talk is about... i plan on getting the blue group too...
Definitely my top 3 for showing off the ELS system are:

1) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
2) The Beatles - Love
3) Blue Man Group - The Complex

Love might unseat DSOTM, but all 3 are a must have.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
2005 WDP TL

Ryan Adams - Gold ....Ive been bragging about this one since the day I bought my 04.....
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Instructor

i have listened to nothing but metallica since i got it.... and time after time... i heard music coming from the back of the car only and im like looking around going WTF was that?? thinking something is happening to my car... The track where ever i may roam.. There is a LOW bass note that actually soungs pretty good on the stock TL speakers.. U can feel it. Low bass is the best bass!!! 35 to 40 htz. ROCKS... I am hooked. looking to get linkin park next!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's another recommended DVD-A to impress you with your ELS 5.1 system. I can't really describe the genre but I think it falls into a modern big band swing catagory. Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, XXL The site has samples and some of you may recognize one of them from track 18 on the Acura 5.1 demo disk that came with the 2005 TL.

The 5.1 mix is excellent and very clean. They utilized the center channel for certain instruments in many of the tracks. Most of the tunes are upbeat and I think only one or two of them have vocals. The clarity of the instruments (mainly the brass horns) is amazing and the playback recording level isn't low like some other DVD-A disks are. You can definately play it at high levels without distortion as long as you don't increase your bass level too high.

Those of you who are musicians will really appreciate the realism of the instruments which sound live. I prefer to listen to the percussions and the bass drum on all of the tracks sound like you are standing next to it. Drummer's will know what I'm talking about. A smooth and clean thump. I have aftermarket subs in my trunk and they make me "feel" like I'm sitting in the drum kit with the band.

I managed to find this DVD-A online at Circuit City but I don't know if they still have the DVD-A in stock. Their prices are fair and they usually have fast free shipping. The last time I checked, they only had the CD and Dualdisc available. I own several 5.1 disks and so far this is my favorite surround mix for the road. You won't be playing your air guitar to the music but it will definately get you bouncing your head and drumming on the steering wheel.

Your passengers and even your grandparents will enjoy this disk.

I didn't know it included "special features" for dvd-video playback until I snapped the photos for this post. I guess I'll check it out on day.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 AM
6th Gear

It is indeed quite an amazing DVD-A release.

Abbey Road is an incredible studio, and the quality of the recordings (and new remixing!) just shines through on this disc. Easily my favorite 5.1 audio release!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

Checkout the entire Silverline catalog here
Old 12-02-2006, 07:37 PM
10th Gear

I too picked up this disc at Costco, best price I have found. It really is a great sounding disc, nice to hear the old songs reworked with new sounds. While I do like this DVD-A I must say that if you truely want to be blown away by a surround sound disc pick up one or both of these discs bt The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots or At War with The Mystics. Talk about using all the channels available, sound travels all over the car and even makes the sub do its job. Must also say that The Crystal Method Legion of Boom is quite amazing as well. Fleetwood Mac Rumours amazing as well.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
10th Gear

For R.E.M. fans, one of their best, Automatic for the People, is available on DVDA. Stipe's voice is pretty amazing out of its own channel. Sounds like you're in the studio on the ballads, especially. The ELS stereo never fails to impress newcomers to the TL.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by enormus
Definitely my top 3 for showing off the ELS system are:

1) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
2) The Beatles - Love
3) Blue Man Group - The Complex

Love might unseat DSOTM, but all 3 are a must have.
Is this a standard CD of DSOTM? I have found a SACD but not a DVDA.

Quick Reply: Get this disc to show off the ELS 5.1 Sound System