Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X

With X-mas festivities ended unusually early this year, I was able to Get a few ours to myself in the driveway to install my new Bluetooth interface!

Before starting, i'd like to point out that trying to find resources was somewhat troublesome with all the dead picture links scattered throughout the forum, so I decided to be as thorough as possible and provide pics of my own. Below are the 2 online resources I used along the way...

Stereo removal video posted by Factory Car Stereo Repair. Most of the steps I took were pulled right from this video, with the exception of the A/C vent removal (not necessary for this install) and the actual removal of the stereo itself.

2. https://acurazine.com/forums/perform...-086-a-590326/
Another thread w/ pics explaining the removal of the center console.

Required Tools:
1. Phillips screwdriver. Preferably magnetized.
2. Some sort of panel removal tool (I used a butter-knife wrapped in vinyl bc i'm cheap)

Optional:
1. Gloves of some kind (you'll see why this may be important later in the post)
2. A headlamp if you're doing this at night like I did.

So let's get started!!

Here's the application list which came with the unit
Attachment 104238

Instructions...
Attachment 104239

The unit we're installing - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-0bkw1pz.jpg

As you probably guessed, the first step is to remove the silver trim pieces from the console. Shown in video linked above.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-syaj4tl.jpg

When those are out, you want to remove this screw. It's located on the bottom right corner of the panel under the steering wheel.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-boyuix5.jpg

After removing that plastic screw, pull the panel towards the rear of the car to detach it. Disconnect the 3 plugs for the mirrors/VSA/etc indicated by the red arrows.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-u0omwhz.jpg

With the panel removed, the two screws shown below will be accessible. Remove them.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-aeuymht.jpg

Then get these two...
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-5lkvd3a.jpg

And these two...
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-t2vava4.jpg

And these two, which are under the rubber mat at the bottom of the arm-rest bin whatever-it's-called.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-4dmpzg9.jpg

Get these two next. When they're out, you should be able to slide the armrest portion of the console back a few inches. BTW, that's NOT a pube you're spying. It's dog hair.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-wdlrlnz.jpg

With the armrest now moved back a bit, you will need to unclip the panel shown below. Red arrows indicate clip locations.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-bijs9ch.jpg

Close up of the top clip.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-wxufzkw.jpg

For those of you with slender/small hands, this is where the road ends after removing the panel shown above. You should be able to unplug the required connector (red arrow below) and connect the BlitzSafe unit using a combination of the available spaces (red circles below) to maneuver your way to a complete install. Verify the unit works, put everything back, and voila', you're DONE!
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-e4wofgm.jpg

UNFORTUNATELY for me, I have thick stumpy hands which are no bueno for this particular install. If you're still reading, we'll assume yours are no slimmer. And so, the journey continues...

New goal: Get the trays below the stereo out, so we can gain some extra wiggle room for our fat fingers.

Remove the silver trim piece surrounding the shifter, and the black piece underneath it. The black piece comes off easily if you open the door to the cigarette lighter and pull up along the edge indicated by the green arrows.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-bocep4i.jpg

Then remove this screw (red arrow). Screw under green dot should have been removed earlier.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-ldhd2sd.jpg

Take this one out too...
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-tsir19b.jpg

Now open your glove box and remove this latch by pushing it toward the front of the car...
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-tikmv5d.jpg

If you squeeze the clips in on the outside of the bin (green arrows) you can remove them and allow the bin to drop down like in the picture below. This will allow you to remove the two screws (red arrows)
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-ml4js0k.jpg

Next you want to pull back on the plastic panel that is below the door you just removed. It is held in by clips, 3 of which are shown here.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-jhxg31d.jpg

Now un-clip the plastic shroud that covers the doors latch by pulling it towards the rear of the car. Once it is free, unplug the connectors shown here.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-lklrevn.jpg

Did you remember to use gloves? I didn't. These clips were harder to remove than any of the others, and I ended up cutting myself and dripping blood all over my floormats and other stuff.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-1qme61y.jpg

Now that the previous piece is out, you have exposed the only 2 screws still fastening the plastic panel to the right side of the center console. You remove this one the same way as on the drivers side, by un-doing the clips in these four locations.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-dtou2dr.jpg

Now its time to unplug your seat heater connectors.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-h5ijmrh.jpg

And disconnect the cigarette lighter adapter (black plug) sorry, didn't put an arrow on this one.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-thfxpnb.jpg

Now wiggle the lower section with the storage bins and cigarette adapter thing away from the stereo. It should end up looking like this.
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-odnoes0.jpg

Hold the brake, put the shifter in drive (I started the car because the key thing on the shifter didn't work for me) and wiggle the piece out of the way.
This is what it looks like after removal. Notice my "panel removal tool" (butter-knife with vinyl wrap on the end, lol) Remove the last two screws holding the bottom of the stereo onto the console (shown below, no arrows )
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-vjqe00t.jpg

At this point you should be able to pull the stereo foward slightly, just enough to reach back and unplug the connector and install your BlitzSafe unit. Pull in the direction of the green arrows, genius. This is where I ended up hiding mine
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-lfdtgf9.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS! You have just installed your BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X!!!

Now put everything back together!!

This is what I ended up with. I am using a Koomus Magnetos magnetic CD slot mount ~$16
Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder"><b><span style=Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder" /> Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder">Amazon.com: Koomus Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount Holder
Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X-iyyvnx4.jpg

You just slap your phone on it and go. No cords, no adjusting. "Set it, and forget it!"

Post-Install comments:
1. Pairing with my Nexus 5 is lightning quick and automatic. Just turn on BT and your done. +/- 5 seconds.
2. Quality is fantastic! I'm no audiophile, but there is no drop in quality vs CD, or interference/buzzing/etc. Sound is crystal clear. Played the same track at 192 kbps on CD and compared to BT stream after downloading to my phone. Can't tell the difference.
3. STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS FOR VOLUME AND TRACK SELECTION STILL WORK!!!
4. My HFL is busted so can't comment on functionality here.
5. Incoming calls pause music. When the call ends, music automatically resumes.
6. I'm absolutely happy with my purchase. Paired with the Koomus mount, I just pick my music, set my phone on it, and go!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by Anthracite'04:
0utl (01-20-2015), EvilVirus (12-29-2014), Slpr04UA6 (12-30-2014), triax37 (12-30-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Nice jammies!

Nice write-up, but you should be able to access the 14-pin plug without the extra steps. It's tight, but doable. I did it this way to install my USA SPEC module. You'll need a coat hanger J-hook or similar. I used these instructions. Once you get the driver's side center console panel off, you should be able to access the 14-pin plug from the back of the stack:

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...bleinstall.pdf

parent thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...nstall-633080/
Old 12-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Nice jammies!

Nice write-up, but you should be able to access the 14-pin plug without the extra steps. It's tight, but doable. I did it this way to install my USA SPEC module. You'll need a coat hanger J-hook or similar. I used these instructions. Once you get the driver's side center console panel off, you should be able to access the 14-pin plug from the back of the stack:

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...bleinstall.pdf

parent thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...nstall-633080/
Lol, thanks! The PJ's were a gift from my GF. Thanks for the advice about using the coat hanger/j-hook. I read that some people were completing similar installs by going through the drivers side opening w/ the panel removed, but my problem solving skills were non-existent at the time, lol. (because alcohol) If I have to get back in there, i'll give it a shot.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
wow im actually in the market now for something to play my mymusic through. i was looking at expensive isimples $199.99. i actually like the idea of the BT MODULE a lot more. This way regardless of what phone, android or apple, i could connect and just stream my music....
Old 12-27-2014, 12:34 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
edit: Just found an authorized dealer around my way for the same model. going to speak wl them tomorrow. Just to verify. You still can control the volume through your steering wheel? Can you change songs as well?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
edit: Just found an authorized dealer around my way for the same model. going to speak wl them tomorrow. Just to verify. You still can control the volume through your steering wheel? Can you change songs as well?
Yes. The steering wheel controls work perfectly. You can change tracks or increase/decrease volume as you would with CD's. For me, this was a HUGE plus. I didn't lose any functionality after installation.

Last edited by Anthracite'04; 12-27-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Race Director

OP, did you look at the Mountek nGroove Snap3 mount before deciding on the Koomus mount?

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation
Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I am assuming this works with apple/android tablets?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
I am assuming this works with apple/android tablets?

"This interface allows you to play music wirelessly from your Smartphone, iPhone, iPad, or Mac laptop.

It also works with any phone or device capable of transmitting the Bluetooth stereo (A2DP) protocol
."
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Awesome write-up! This looks to be much better/easier than messing with isimple. Plus no wires! Glad to see that it works in the '04 as well! Was contemplating isimple, but this seems all around, an upgrade! Thanks OP!

You do have to change to aux input under XM correct?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
The reason why iSimple is different is because it displays track info, and allows you to go through your ipod using your headunit.

Nice writeup for sure, some unnecessary steps but I know some people who would do the same to save the headache.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:36 AM
Cruisin'

OP, did you look at the Mountek nGroove Snap3 mount before deciding on the Koomus mount?

Amazon.com: Mountek nGroove Snap 3 Magnetic Car Mount for Smartphones and Mini Tablets: GPS & Navigation

No I didn't. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Koomus now that I've been using it for a bit. It wiggles around a little more than I'd like it to. I'm pretty sure it's because of the distance the phone sits away from its base. I was thinking about going with this...
Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
but I absolutely HATE the idea of sticking anything to my dash/trim pieces.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:40 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Awesome write-up! This looks to be much better/easier than messing with isimple. Plus no wires! Glad to see that it works in the '04 as well! Was contemplating isimple, but this seems all around, an upgrade! Thanks OP!

You do have to change to aux input under XM correct?
The button used is the Disc/Tape button. Display says "CDC" when switched.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anthracite'04
[/B]

No I didn't. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Koomus now that I've been using it for a bit. It wiggles around a little more than I'd like it to. I'm pretty sure it's because of the distance the phone sits away from its base. I was thinking about going with this... Amazon.com: SCOSCHE MagicMount- Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile devices - Car Mounts - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories but I absolutely HATE the idea of sticking anything to my dash/trim pieces.
Yeah, I'm thinking about that same mount. They have the MAGDM and the MAGDMB. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. They look identical. And you can get them cheaper on Ebay....
Old 12-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
For the sake of it

Also I believe the real product code is MAGDMB (B probably denotes a revision or color)
Old 12-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

^^^ That actually looks a lot better than I expected.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Race Director

Yeah, I'm thinking about that same mount. They have the MAGDM and the MAGDMB. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. They look identical. And you can get them cheaper on Ebay....
Just got a reply back from Scosche: There is no difference physically between the MAGDM and the MAGDMB. The "B" means "Bag" for the packaging. Apparently the original packaging of the MAGDM received a lot of complaints for being difficult to open, so they switched the packaging to a bag rather than the hard plastic packaging.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just got mine in the mail today. yay!!
just finished up the install and the radio and steering wheel does not change tracks at all. i did however remove the xm tuner from the trunk.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Instructor

to follow up i reinstalled the xm tuner with no results. guess ill be returning the unit
Old 01-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Advanced

Awesome! Getting this in my 05 tl when i buy it this month. May i ask how much professional installation would cost me and where i could get it installed? Dot want to risk hurting my TL haha
Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cpozzuolo
just finished up the install and the radio and steering wheel does not change tracks at all. i did however remove the xm tuner from the trunk.
to follow up i reinstalled the xm tuner with no results. guess ill be returning the unit
Dang. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. FWIW, all of my controls worked fine after installation (steering wheel included) so i'd guess you probably ended up with a bad module? Hope BlitzSafe helps you get it sorted out.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Instructor

I hope so. I love the idea that there will be no wires to hook up every time I get in the car
Old 01-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Race Director

Why did you remove the XM tuner? What other mods do you have related to XM/Navi/Radio? What device are you pairing with the Blitzsafe module?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Instructor

I removed the Xm tuner only because I had to when I had my 05 tsx with dice Mediabridge. All I have is the factory radio with navi. I tried my old mediabridge and it does not work properly, although it never worked right from day one. I have the dice version not the audiovox version. They went out of business a couple years ago and I was left with a bad unit
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Race Director

I removed the Xm tuner only because I had to when I had my 05 tsx with dice Mediabridge....
Huh?

And again, what device did you pair to the Blitzsafe module?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Instructor

I'm using an iPhone 5s. I just got off the phone with Melanie at Blitzsafe and she is sending me another unit
Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 PM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can u still play cds with this?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Klutch
can u still play cds with this?
Yes.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Race Director

OP, what's wrong with the three images in the middle of the DIY? They aren't opening....

Looks like I also received a BT antenna cord in my order? The instructions say nothing about it. It's a black cord with a round 8-pin male plug which matches the female plug on the other end of the Blitzsafe unit.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Instructor

plug it in.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Race Director

Someone needs to resize the images...

This page crashes my phone.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Someone needs to resize the images...

This page crashes my phone.
Get a better phone my man, doesn't crash on my aging Galaxy S3.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Race Director

No reason for this DIY to be shown with 2000px+ wide.
It just unnecessarily takes ages to load, also.
I have Bell's highest internet plan, too.

Actually, no reason for a picture that big to be on the internet, unless you have a 4k monitor.

I must admit, my 4S is getting old, and I'll upgrade when Apple stops supporting it, which should be next iOS update.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

OP, what's wrong with the three images in the middle of the DIY? They aren't opening....

Looks like I also received a BT antenna cord in my order? The instructions say nothing about it. It's a black cord with a round 8-pin male plug which matches the female plug on the other end of the Blitzsafe unit.
I'm not sure what's going on with the pics on your end? They are working for me. As for the antenna, I did plug this in and routed it along the drivers side console panel. The slack was tucked where the seat heater controls are. I apologize for not including it in the install. A picture of the antenna i received can be found in my original thread on post #16 which is linked below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...th-v2x-923263/
Old 01-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Instructor

am i the only one with problems with unit. blitzsafe sent me a second unit and it operates the same. unit pairs and plays music but 0 controls from radio or steering wheel controls.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Race Director

am i the only one with problems with unit. blitzsafe sent me a second unit and it operates the same. unit pairs and plays music but 0 controls from radio or steering wheel controls.
Yes. I'm still trying to understand why you had to pull the XM unit from the trunk. I'm pretty sure a connection got screwed up in the process....
Old 01-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor

i reconnected the xm unit and still have same issues. the xm works perfectly,its just not activated
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Instructor

thought i read somewhere that 07-08 models with nav traffic had issues. i have an 07 with nav traffic
Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Race Director

I removed the Xm tuner only because I had to when I had my 05 tsx with dice Mediabridge. All I have is the factory radio with navi. I tried my old mediabridge and it does not work properly, although it never worked right from day one. I have the dice version not the audiovox version. They went out of business a couple years ago and I was left with a bad unit
thought i read somewhere that 07-08 models with nav traffic had issues. i have an 07 with nav traffic
So I'm confused by these 2 posts...Is this not working in an 05 tsx or 07 3G TL?

Did you try pairing another device and then trying the controls? Is your iPhone rooted or running any custom roms?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Instructor

its an 07 tl. my last car was an 05 tsx. was comparing the two because they had the same options.

Quick Reply: Full Install w/Pics - BlitzSafe HON/Bluetooth V.2X