Front Passenger Speaker Blown TWICE

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Passenger Speaker Blown TWICE

I purchased my '04 TL last November, and the warranty was expiring in March of 2008. So when my front passenger speaker started having the distorted/rattling sound in January, I took it in said it was blown, and got it replaced with no hassle. About a month ago, that same exact speaker started doing the same thing. Thinking about my car being out of warranty, I decided I'd just live with it for now. Now being a month after it started sounded bad...I cant tolerate it anymore.

I talked to a buddy of mine that said if its the same speaker, most of the time its a problem due to the amp. Is it ironic that all other 4 speakers in the car have been fine throughout the life, while this one speaker blew in January, and 6-7 months later, I'm having the same problem?

I called the local dealership yesterday (Crown Acura in Richmond), to see if something like that was covered under warranty...I came in to have the problem fixed in January - and yes they fixed the speaker, but they may not have diagnosed the problem if the amp was in fact the problem.

The serviceman brought a tech guy on the phone and he had said he had NEVER replaced an amp since when he started working in 2003. And was giving a lot of pushback on me taking the car in, saying that he didnt think it would be covered under warranty or Acura would be liable. His argument was, 1)hes never done that before - so he doesnt think its the problem, 2) he asked, "Did your speaker work when you left after getting it replaced in January?" and I said, "Yes but, that doesnt mean you didnt do a quick fix and not overlook the real problem."

What are your thoughts/ideas on this?? I need some direction. Try to get Acura to service it....or spend a ton of money to replace multiple speakers and the amp because you cant really just replace 1 factory speaker?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How loud do you listen to your music?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Normally with the windows up...in the 20-25 range. But with the windows down I feel like its never loud enough...so yeah I have maxed out at 40 on some songs but normally around the 30-35 range. But the TL is supposed to be a great sound system, so shouldnt they expect people to play loud especially with windows down.

The question I'm mainly concerned about is why is the the same speaker, thats only lasted 6-7 months. All of the others have been fine, and still are fine...its not like I play the music loud only on that one speaker.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
There could be moisture getting down the window to that speaker

Replace the fronts with a nice pair of aftermarkets- many will bolt right to the factory system with no issues
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

i thought in order to replace the fronts with aftermarkets, you had to upgrade the amp as well because the amp is so low powered. and itd have to be a component upgrade, so itd be getting price at over 500 for just the fronts...am i right? what kind of aftermarkets do you recommend?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I replaced my fronts without replacing the amp. Also possibly the type of music you listen to has more sound in the left channel hence maybe that is why you are consistently blowing out only the left speakers while listening at max volume.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Listening on 40 is too high, especially for continuous use. People that have actually run tests have said there's too much distortion past 30 with the stock amp. With my aftermarket JL Audio amp, I'm pushing the stock speakers way beyond what they were ever meant for and way beyond what the stock amp could ever do and they're been fine. So to answer the question, your amp is blowing the speaker but it's probably because you have it past 30 a lot of the time. Even if you upgrade to speakers that can take 3X the factory power you still might end up blowing them with the stock amp. Upgrade the amp if you need to listen to it that loud. I have mine set to where 20 is as loud as I can stand it so that I don't run into distortion.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I hate cars is correct the problem lies in the volume being too high granted common sense would suggest that a stock system would not blow speakers but our does. based on the data I have seen on our stock amps the distortion kicks in at 36 you good up to 35 but the dealer should still replace it