Free WAP Browsing on your phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Free WAP Browsing on your phone

I saw something about this on HoFo. If you have a direct high-speed connection to the internet that you keep on all the time, you can set you home PC up to be your WAP proxy for your mobile phone.

You need a software package called Now WAP, available at:
http://www.nowwap.com/

Setup isn't too painful. I have a wireless router firewall, so your setup may vary.

- On the router/firewall, you need to enable ports 20221 (TCP, see below), and 9200-9201 (UDP) to get forwarded to the PC that will be running Now WAP.

- I configured NowWAP as follows:
  • Service Tab: I enabled the "Run as a Service" check box so that Now WAP is always running on the server PC.
  • Options Tab: Nothing enabled.
  • HTTP Tab:
    • "Enable HTTP (WAP2) Proxy" is enabled, Port=20221 (Note: I don't use the standard "8080" port, since that can open your PC up to potential attacks. Using Port=20221, or some other value, is cheap protection for your PC).
    • "Enable Compression" is enabled.
    • "Enable WTCP Extensions" is enabled
  • MSISDN Tab: Nothing enabled.
  • Users Tab:
    • "Access to HTTP Proxy" is enabled.
    • "Access to WAP/WSP Proxy" is enabled.
    • A username and password are entered for more secure access to your WAP Proxy Server.
  • Serial # Tab: Nothing for now, until I decide to purchase the software. I still don't know how much it costs.
- I configured my V710 as follows:
  • Name: Whatever you want to call it. Extra points for creativity!
  • Homepage: http://wap.oa.yahoo.com (There's others out there besides Yahoo. Check around ...)
  • User ID: username entered above on the Now WAP "Users Tab"
  • Password: password entered above on the Now WAP "Users Tab"
  • Gateway IP: This is a little bit tricky. You need to know the IP address of your router (if you are using one). Usually, this is available under a "WAN Setup" page of your router. If you can't find that, try this lil' utility: http://www.keir.net/download/ip2.zip. If you don't use a router/firewall, open up a command prompt and type "ipconfig" at the prompt. The "IP address" is what you'll enter here.
  • Gateway IP: Empty as a politician's promise.
  • Service Type 1: HTTP
  • Port 1, E2E Port1, and LXL Port 1: 20221 (or whatever you entered in the "HTTP Tab" above
  • Domain 1: Blank as a runway supermodel's mind.
  • Use the same settings For "Service 2" that were used for "Service 1"
Final Notes:
  1. The Now WAP software has a 30 day trial period. I don't know how much it costs afterwards, since I can't find anything on their website about pricing.
  2. As I understand it, you can only WAP surf on Verizon for free during nights & weekends if your calling plan has free nights and weekends. On Verizon, you will get charged for your WAP connection time otherwise (just for the minutes you use).
  3. I haven't figured out how to get graphics to work through Now WAP yet. So far, I only see text while WAP browsing. Anybody???
Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:12 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-Mobile offers free wap even though it doesn't publicly announce it. Also on their pre-paid phones you get unlimited text and mms even though they don't mention it but shhh.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

i think tmobile just got rid of their free wap recently... it doesnt work for me (and many others on hofo) anymore.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW, there isn't any problems with my my home WAP Server sending graphics.

It turns out that different WAP sites may send more provider-specific data than others (Yahoo! is one of them, apparently they send different data through the Verizon WAP). I receive graphics fine on my V710 with the settings provided above.

Also, if you are setting up a NowWAP Server on your home PC, you may want to read this (it's the 9th posting on this page):

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...postid=2661693
Old 08-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Free WAP is all but dead on T-Mobile. But it's only $4.99/mo for unlimited usage, and it doesn't count against your plan minutes. I'll probably sign up for it, not sure if it can be used overseas though.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:09 AM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
If you have a direct high-speed connection to the internet that you keep on all the time, you can set you home PC up to be your WAP proxy for your mobile phone.
Jazz,

What does this buy you? You can surf using the phone, but only if the connection is present via your home PC? So why not use the home PC?

BTW: is the connection between home PC and phone Bluetooth?
Old 08-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Nope, it's WAP. That's the point, you can use your phone to "connect" via the internet to your PC, and use it as a gateway to access WAP sites. In other words, you don't have to be sitting at your computer within Bluetooth/IR range to do this. That, as you seem to imply, would be useless.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:47 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by Dirac
Nope, it's WAP. That's the point, you can use your phone to "connect" via the internet to your PC, and use it as a gateway to access WAP sites. In other words, you don't have to be sitting at your computer within Bluetooth/IR range to do this. That, as you seem to imply, would be useless.
AAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhh! Now I see the light!

Thanks for the clarification.