Finished My Audio Upgrade ---Finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Joe,

At that time I don't think there were any adapters made. I used tin snips to cut-out the openings for both the fronts and rears to accommodate the slightly larger speakers. Adapters can be easily made from wood if needed.

BTW,

I did that install almost 1.5 years ago. Since that time install my big JL Audio amp died. I figured it's a great time to redo my audio amps and sub. Here's my new audio set-up. An Alpine PDX4-100 for the fronts and rears, an Alpine PDX1-600 for the sub. The RF sub has been replaced with a 10 inch TC-Sound TC-1000. The center is powered by my trusty old JL Audio E2150. The sound quality has been greatly improved. The bass is solid, tight and punchy, not sloppy and boomie. The CDT speakers benefit greatly from the 100 watts they're getting. Styling wise I decided to try something different. I'm not sure if I like it. I may go back to plexi window thing with black simulated leather.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey KofP...

Looks real nice...how many cf for the sub-enclosure? It looks real small. Mine is .85 cf, I was told not to go any smaller...it sounds great!! How do you like to sound of yours?

Your set-up is real clean/sophisticated

I've had my set-up for over a year as well. Having some overheating issues with one of the amps and the sub went out. Fortunately, Zapco is taking care of everything under warranty

when I get some time I'll go back through this thread and check your set-up out more closely...looks great!! Have you competed with it?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by King of Pain
Hey Joe,

At that time I don't think there were any adapters made. I used tin snips to cut-out the openings for both the fronts and rears to accommodate the slightly larger speakers. Adapters can be easily made from wood if needed.
Yea, I want to avoid cutting things up if at all possible. elduderino and I made adapters out of masonite for my old TSX. It was a PITA. I eventually found adapters that fit perfect.

Let me ask you this, do you know if the speakers are the same from the 04's to the 08's? And TL to TL-S?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

ChicoOG

Thanks for the complements. Yes, it's a very small enclosure, .68 cf. It delivers very tight bass. The sub is rated at 400 watts continuous. The Alpine feeds it 600 watts (the birth sheet for the amp is actually 759 watts). My son is a drummer. He mentioned that it's the most realistic kick drum he's heard. The guitars (I play guitar) sound very accurate on this, especially on really good recordings. The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" live CD sounds amazing.

Have I competed? No. I thought about it but I really just do it for my own self gratification.

JoeRocket:

I would assume that the speakers are the same for all models, but can't be 100%.
You live in Temecula? I'm just up the 15 in Corona. I like your avatar, I have the same hat LOL

Here's another pic of the sub. It works very well in Home Theatre applications as well in car audio.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

ChicoOG

Thanks for the complements. Yes, it's a very small enclosure, .68 cf. It delivers very tight bass. The sub is rated at 400 watts continuous. The Alpine feeds it 600 watts (the birth sheet for the amp is actually 759 watts). My son is a drummer. He mentioned that it's the most realistic kick drum he's heard. The guitars (I play guitar) sound very accurate on this, especially on really good recordings. The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" live CD sounds amazing.

Have I competed? No. I thought about it but I really just do it for my own self gratification.
Wow, that IS small...I use to play guitar, did a few club gigs, just hole in the wall stuff...I really enjoy high quality sound. So, you are running you mids and high off one amp, sub of another, and center channel off the third. That's how I have mine set-up as well. I've considered upgrading from the Zapco DC series to the competition series amps. But, I drive almost 3K a month and I have heard the Comp Amps are a little touchy...I'll have to check out that Eagles CD. Van Halen "The Best of Both Worlds" is mixed extremely well.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Just dial 1911

JoeRocket:

I would assume that the speakers are the same for all models, but can't be 100%.
You live in Temecula? I'm just up the 15 in Corona. I like your avatar, I have the same hat LOL
Yup, sure do and yea Corona is right up the road . Man, It would be hard to beleive that nobody makes front door adapters for the 3rd gen after 3-4 years! But I guess since its an odd size @ 6.25", its probably not that bizarre.

Guess its probably a sign to just leave well enough alone...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Instructor

took a look at you mod...impressive.

i have the same speaks two 10"'s, can i just mount those on the back side of the rear seat by cutting out the speaker holes out of the back seat???
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Instructor

sorry that comment was for king of pain
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rooki
i have the same speaks two 10"'s, can i just mount those on the back side of the rear seat by cutting out the speaker holes out of the back seat???

I guess you could cut holes in the back seat for the subs. But wouldn't your back seat passengers lose some of the back support and also get pounded by the sound waves? I think that also brings up sound wave alignment issues

After much experimentation I found my ears like having the sub facing back and the trap door on the rear seat open
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Could you go into detail on how you installed the plexiglass to the main beauty board? Is it screwed into the underside of the main beauty board? Is the plexi resting on the amps, or is it hovering just above it? How do you prevent the plexi from being seperated from the beauty board if something accidentally exerts force on the plexi surface? Did you create covers for the cutouts in the beauty board to prevent this?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Instructor

To clarify, Post# 89 was directed to King of Pain
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by si1point6
Could you go into detail on how you installed the plexiglass to the main beauty board? Is it screwed into the underside of the main beauty board? Is the plexi resting on the amps, or is it hovering just above it? How do you prevent the plexi from being seperated from the beauty board if something accidentally exerts force on the plexi surface? Did you create covers for the cutouts in the beauty board to prevent this?
The plexi is bolted to the board. B4 I covered the board I drilled and countersunk some small bolts to the board around the plexi coutout. Once the cover is placed (sprayglued and Stapled) I set the plexi in place and bolt it down. I put some heavy stuff on the board/plexi with no problems.

Yes. I had some leftover black simulated leather and made some cutout to cover the windows if needed to prevent scratching.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Instructor

The plexi is bolted to the board. B4 I covered the board I drilled and countersunk some small bolts to the board around the plexi coutout. Once the cover is placed (sprayglued and Stapled) I set the plexi in place and bolt it down. I put some heavy stuff on the board/plexi with no problems.

Yes. I had some leftover black simulated leather and made some cutout to cover the windows if needed to prevent scratching.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for responding to my questions. Great job on the install
Old 03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
...when high

No resources for Woodwork

Well, I don't have tools or the room at my apartment to replicate you guys' fancy work. I went by a car audio installation place just to see if they could help me build a false floor, but, of course, the greedy bastards don't wanna do it unless they do the entire install.

I was even like...."Can you just give me two pieces of wood THAT size?"...pointing at the carpeted spare tire cover...."and I'll do the rest." TO NO AVAIL!!

Do you guys have any suggestions for an alternative to a car audio installation place that might be willing to help me out with a little woodworking?

I've got a 2000 3.2 TL, and don't wanna get a new one because the new body styles are much shorter than my Second Generation....and I'm 6'4" (plus my car still drives like a freakin' champ at 128,000 miles)

Thanks guys
Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4gets N SportShift
Well, I don't have tools or the room at my apartment to replicate you guys' fancy work. I went by a car audio installation place just to see if they could help me build a false floor, but, of course, the greedy bastards don't wanna do it unless they do the entire install.

I was even like...."Can you just give me two pieces of wood THAT size?"...pointing at the carpeted spare tire cover...."and I'll do the rest." TO NO AVAIL!!

Do you guys have any suggestions for an alternative to a car audio installation place that might be willing to help me out with a little woodworking?

I've got a 2000 3.2 TL, and don't wanna get a new one because the new body styles are much shorter than my Second Generation....and I'm 6'4" (plus my car still drives like a freakin' champ at 128,000 miles)

Thanks guys
Where do you live??

What about a friend with a garage?

Yea, B4 I start my first install I went to a couple of shops to get some quotes. They wanted to charge me over 1k just for the labor and the install, that's not including the audio hardware. Easy payment terms they said. I said bye and went to work in my garage.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
...when high

I pieced all my stuff together here in Los Angeles off Craigslist, and my buddy is gonna help me with the audio install, but I was hoping to get the trunk in ready-position beforehand.

Unfortunately, none of my friends really have the resources...either by tools or garage

--Actually, I'm still trying to piece together another pair of 6 1/2" speakers (or smaller) for the rear. I found and bought some MB Quart RSC 216's for $80, which are components, but they are 2.75" deep, and it'll be a toss-up as to whether or not they fit, and I'm usually on the short side of the toss-ups, haha.

Someone mentioned some Infinity Somethings that should fit no problem, but I can't seem to find the thread.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 PM
...when high

I found a guy whose shop is under repair, so he's gonna do me a pretty good job this weekend for $300. We'll see how that goes....
Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
10th Gear

hey im new to the forums i at one point was attempting to install 2 12 inch jl audios with 1400 wat amp , i have STOCK head unit ( not navi ) just the crap one lol anyways all the wires were run correctly but for some reason didnt work the way it should have ( i installed 1st then brought it to perfessionals to see if they could fix problem) still never worked right so i took it out , i THINK that in the end my rcas were no good , can any1 please tell me FOR SURE if i can install a system such as this with a stock headunit again NOT navi?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
...when high

Ryan over at Kaminari in Torrance, CA did me a great job..and I believe his shop is opening soon... Here's the pics: (they may not come out right, I'm still trying to figure out how to put pics here)

[IMG]01110010101001100101111001100011101011111100001001 01011010110111011111001101101010011110011000011001[/IMG]
Old 03-29-2008, 01:38 PM
...when high

Well, Ryan over at Kaminari in Torrance did me an awesome job for relatively cheap! Instead of doing the false floor thing, he suggested a "false wall" method if you will, which is up against the back seat, and the spare tire can still be removed with no removing of speaker stuff! Pretty cool! Now I'm ready to start installing all the audio equipment I got off Craigslist. This job looks like it will all be done under $1000.

He suggested that I remove the center speaker completely, allowing the Sub (which he built in facing striaight upwards into the center speaker area) to pass right through that new opening.

I'll post pics soon when he gives me a link, but you can check out his other work at his MySpace -- nice guy.

...he may post them there soon. I'll be glad to email you pics of the project if you want to see until they are visible here....
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 AM
2008 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
King of Pain, I love your car installation setup. I am very glad you have posted your pictures, and answered all of the questions in this thread. I just got my 08 TL and this information is giving me the knowledge and confidence to install my system from my previous vehicle. I have a few questions below:

1. Is there a speaker wire running from the stock amp to each of the eight speakers? Or are some bridged together?
2. Is each wire that comes out of the stock amp identical in line output, or do they have different crossover frequencies?
3. Is there any guide for the stock amp that can tell me which color wires (positive and negative) go to each speaker?
4. In order to still be able control the aftermarket subwoofer I install from the stock head unit, do I have to only use the speaker wire that goes to the stock subwoofer?
5. Where are the ground point for your amps?
6. What height did you have to raise the false floor to in order to allow the JL amps to fit?
7. Do your amps power up when you turn on your stereo? Or do you have a switch to turn them on manually? You made a mention to the 12 volt line in your central console, but I didn't understand what you used that for.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 AM
2008 NBP TL

One more question King of Pain,
8. How do you know which wires are coming from the stereo, and which wires are outgoing towards the speakers?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 AM
2008 NBP TL

9. Do you have to leave the stock amp in order to maintain your HFL functionality?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am sure this is listed someplace but since I am here..... where can I get a color code/wiring diagram for the audio system for the TL ('08). I plan on doing an upgrade and want to know what wires to cut into .. etc.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 AM
2008 NBP TL

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
I noticed you got signal after the stock amp and your noise went away!

That is my problem!!!! I found your chat with Dave Navone on carsound and will implement it immediately.......I love the internet!
Do you have a link to that chat?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 AM
2008 NBP TL

The center is still fully functional. The amp sends equal power to all speakers. All OEM functions are still working. No I do not have navi. Everything was done after the stock OEM amp
I am assuming you still have your XM functionality as well? Could you explain further why you decided to keep the stock amp?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 AM
2008 NBP TL

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I am sure this is listed someplace but since I am here..... where can I get a color code/wiring diagram for the audio system for the TL ('08). I plan on doing an upgrade and want to know what wires to cut into .. etc.

Thanks
This link tells you all you need to know.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=2&pp=25
Old 06-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by tech14
This link tells you all you need to know.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=2&pp=25
Thank you very much!!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tech14
King of Pain, I love your car installation setup. I am very glad you have posted your pictures, and answered all of the questions in this thread. I just got my 08 TL and this information is giving me the knowledge and confidence to install my system from my previous vehicle. I have a few questions below:

1. Is there a speaker wire running from the stock amp to each of the eight speakers? Or are some bridged together?
2. Is each wire that comes out of the stock amp identical in line output, or do they have different crossover frequencies?
3. Is there any guide for the stock amp that can tell me which color wires (positive and negative) go to each speaker?
4. In order to still be able control the aftermarket subwoofer I install from the stock head unit, do I have to only use the speaker wire that goes to the stock subwoofer?
5. Where are the ground point for your amps?
6. What height did you have to raise the false floor to in order to allow the JL amps to fit?
7. Do your amps power up when you turn on your stereo? Or do you have a switch to turn them on manually? You made a mention to the 12 volt line in your central console, but I didn't understand what you used that for.
1. The front tweeters and door speakers are bridged together. The tweeters have a cap on them.

2. Not sure about crossovers. I think the sub is low freq and all others are full range

3. Yes, there should be a wire guide somewhere in the FAQ Stickies

4. You can control the aftermarket sub from the stock hu

5. The amps are grounded to a single bolt, back and to the left-center in the trunk

6. Raised the floor about 3 inches

7. Everything powers up with the radio comes on. I also have a valet switch to turn off the amps seperately. I orginally had a 12 volt line for the remote turn on of the amps. I have since run this directly to the fuse box

8. The diagram will show you which is the input to the amp and which is the output from the amp.

9. The HFL is seperate from the amp, I think
Old 06-28-2008, 01:58 AM
...when high

2000 Acura TL trunk job

Here's my job from Post #98. This was done by Ryan over at Kaminari in Torrance. You can check out his MySpace page here -- nice guy. Let's see if these pics work...

[URL=http://www.slide.com/s/qcFWgfRk5j8a8EQZmRowDgIQoBh9_mc1?referrer=hlnk][/URL

The 6 1/2" Pioneers were fine in the back, but the 6 1/2" MB Quartz were a little too large for the front. I purchased some 5 1/4" to replace, and I'll just need to drill two or three holes to hold 'em in.

I only Dynamatted in sparse areas--or rather I just cut out small pieces to stick to open spaces throughout the door panels and trunk lid and trunk floor. I used big pieces wherever I could, but didn't feel the need to completely cover every square inch. I only used 5 sheets of the 9 sheet box of Dynamat and I don't hear any rattles.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 PM
2008 NBP TL

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly King of Pain! I have a few more:

1. Why did you decide to leave the stock amp in?

2. Do you think I should cover the 8" speaker opening in the rear panel, or leave it open?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I originally took it out and used an Audio Control Matrix to boast the signal. Somehow it gave me a lot of noise. I put it back in and used a Navone LOC between the stock amp and the new amps, no more noise.

I left the hole open to allow some of the low freq come through.

BTW, This is what's currently in my car

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/what-does-everyone-think-new-sentra-se-r-175178/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181849
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Hey is there a way that I can remove the stock amp and put an after market amp in its places using stock speaker wiring?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigRedTL
Hey is there a way that I can remove the stock amp and put an after market amp in its places using stock speaker wiring?
If you are asking if you can put an aftermarketing amp in the same location as the stock, the answer is NO.

You can however, remove the stock amp, install a LOC or Balanced Line Transmitter between the stock HU and a new amp and all should be golden. Using stock speaker wiring ??? Are you planning on using the stock speakers?? ou'llprobbly get more bang for yur buck by adding aftermarket speakers in the front and calling everything else good for now.

Once you get into a aftermarket amp, yoou'll blow your stock speakers pretty quickly ( if you can find an amp that will run at the correct ohms) and then you'll have to redo all the wiring and speakers anyway.

Just my
Old 08-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys, I jumped into the middle of a long thread...I see you've been discussing a few issues. However, I stand behind the recommendation of eliminating the stock amp....KP is awesome, he always has good input

KP, you haven't answered my question as to whether or not you' make the Aug. 8th Iasca Car Audio Competion in Huntington Beach. It is going to be good, hope you or any of the other car audio enthusiast on this forum can make it
Old 08-02-2009, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear

Love the polished install! Do you do this for a living? I'd love to do something like this to my TL!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by radiologicTL
Love the polished install! Do you do this for a living? I'd love to do something like this to my TL!
I'm not sure if you are referring to mine. The avatar is actually my last set-up, I've had another amp and completely different trunk lay-out as well a pretty much everything else. No, I don't do it for a living. I'm just fortunate enough to have found some real master craftsmen, one who does install, the others who's specialty is tuning.

Thanks for the complements...
Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Not sure if you’re referring to mine either. That install was done several years ago. Here are some updated pictures of what I've been hiding in my truck lately.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Not sure if you’re referring to mine either. That install was done several years ago. Here are some updated pictures of what I've been hiding in my truck lately.

For those who haven't heard it, that 10'' sub puts out a lot of very clean and tight bass...very impressive set-up.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 AM
5th Gear

wow, very nice!

Quick Reply: Finished My Audio Upgrade ---Finally