factory system xover points and impedance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
factory system xover points and impedance?

A few questions on our stock 3G systems, mine is an 05'.
1) what is the x-over point of the dash tweeters?
2) Are they ran off of the same channel as the door speakers? I noticed that the door speakers play full range so no x-over on them.
3) Are all of the factory speakers 2ohm? I have the door speakers out and noticed that they are 2ohm.
4) What is the x-over point of the sub and what ohm is it?
5) Wattage of the factory amp?

I'm just looking to do some tweaking but want to keep the factory deck and amp. I'm debating on using the factory dash placement which is why I need to know the x-over point and if they are on the same channel as the door spakers or not. Also most aftermarket speakers (except for subs) are 4ohm so if the stock speakers 2ohm we would be cutting the amp power in half by repacing them with aftermarket.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by corcraft
A few questions on our stock 3G systems, mine is an 05'.
1) what is the x-over point of the dash tweeters?
2) Are they ran off of the same channel as the door speakers? I noticed that the door speakers play full range so no x-over on them.
3) Are all of the factory speakers 2ohm? I have the door speakers out and noticed that they are 2ohm.
4) What is the x-over point of the sub and what ohm is it?
5) Wattage of the factory amp?

I'm just looking to do some tweaking but want to keep the factory deck and amp. I'm debating on using the factory dash placement which is why I need to know the x-over point and if they are on the same channel as the door spakers or not. Also most aftermarket speakers (except for subs) are 4ohm so if the stock speakers 2ohm we would be cutting the amp power in half by repacing them with aftermarket.
You will find some of what you need in here. It's from what I observed in my 05 when I replaced the CC and Tweets

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...center+channel

My OE tweeters and center channel driver were marked as 4 ohm. Door, rear deck and sub are 2ohm

Xover for the tweeters is a simple bipolar capacitor glued right to the tweeter itself. Can't remember the value but you can pop it out, see what it is, and do the math.

Door Speakers and tweeters come off of the same wiring. No LP crossover (coil) on the door driver. Just the capacitor on the tweeter. The door driver could probably benefit from some kind of LP network but I never got around to it. Blocking out appropriate HF usually cleans up most drivers in that role.

Don't know the sub xover point. It's not in the wiring, it's actively done in the amp. It is 2 ohm

I don't know the wattage of the OE amp. I'm sure it's in some posts.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adobeman
You will find some of what you need in here. It's from what I observed in my 05 when I replaced the CC and Tweets

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...center+channel

My OE tweeters and center channel driver were marked as 4 ohm. Door, rear deck and sub are 2ohm

Xover for the tweeters is a simple bipolar capacitor glued right to the tweeter itself. Can't remember the value but you can pop it out, see what it is, and do the math.

Door Speakers and tweeters come off of the same wiring. No LP crossover (coil) on the door driver. Just the capacitor on the tweeter. The door driver could probably benefit from some kind of LP network but I never got around to it. Blocking out appropriate HF usually cleans up most drivers in that role.

Don't know the sub xover point. It's not in the wiring, it's actively done in the amp. It is 2 ohm

I don't know the wattage of the OE amp. I'm sure it's in some posts.
Thanks Adobe! That was the info that I needed. I have an image dynamics component set that was in the car when I bought it. I like the speakers pretty well as they have silk dome tweeters and that is what i prefer. The tweeters are on the doors now (the black piece next to the A-pillar) and I think I'm going to move them to the stock location and hope to get a little better imaging. What I think I will do is tap into the speaker wire in the kickpanel for the lp side of the xover going to the door speaker and run a wire up to the tweeter on the hp side. Also, I've heard allot of good reviews with replacing the sub with an image dynamics id8d4 and I'll prob try that too. Thanks again!