Expanding the use of the NAV screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expanding the use of the NAV screen

Does anyone know if there are plans to upgrade the 06-TL Nav to show traffic like RDX does. I just downloaded GMM (Google maps mobile) onto by 8700i Blackberry, and it show traffic.

ON a relate note, the BB has tethered modem ability, has anyone thought about the possibility of using tethered modems (over Bluetooth or USB) to feed data to the nav computer. I am thinking about a hard drive based music players (iPOD) and itunes on the go.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:26 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
doubtful they will upgrade the 06 with NAV traffic. As many threads indicate, it reqires additional hardware to make nav traffic work on the current TL.

In addition, what's Acura's motovation to retrofit current gen TL's when they can make more money by selling us new TL with more NAVI functions?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll never happen. Imagine a new buyer walks onto an Acura lot, and he's on the fence between buying a new '07 TL or a slightly used 06. Acura would very much prefer to sell him a new car. Any little thing that makes the new car a better choice is going to help make the sale.

They have zero motivation to upgrade older TL's. They'll make hardly any money on it, most people won't bother to buy it, and they've already sold the car, so what's the point?

Besides, Nav Traffic is way overrated. Those that have it post that XM does a poor job of keeping the info up to date, and the freeways it covers are very limited. You can get the same or better info on most cell phones (I use Rand McNally Traffic on my Verizon Wireless cell phone and it works great).

Don't get me wrong, I'd use it if my TL had it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over not having it.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by redman042
Besides, Nav Traffic is way overrated. Those that have it post that XM does a poor job of keeping the info up to date, and the freeways it covers are very limited.
Boy...you shouldn't "rate" something without trying it. I have NavTraffic in my Aviator and it is...without a doubt...the best thing I have ever added to the driving experience. True...it's not in all cities, but it is here in Phoenix along with traffic flow monitors. It's been a lifesaver from the first day we started using it. All I have to do is punch in my route home from work, take a look at the traffic, and see what's the best way home. If there is an accident or traffic flow problem that pops up along the way, it will offer to reroute me around it. It's amazing. If there is anyway in the world I can get it in my 06 TL, I'll have it.

By the way, we also have Nav on our cell phone. Comparing that to this is like comparing the Acura to a VW Bug....one of the old ones....not even in the same world.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
Besides, Nav Traffic is way overrated. Those that have it post that XM does a poor job of keeping the info up to date, and the freeways it covers are very limited.
Have to agree with CobraGuy maybe up in Folsom it isn't good, but here in San Diego I think it is vital. Our companies RL that we use for business trips to LA has it and wow has it saved us being late too many times to count.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Instructor

It's true I've never tried NavTraffic myself. I based my comments on what I heard from others on this forum. But perhaps they live in areas like I do--- the Sacramento area has traffic flow sensors in the freeways, but not all the freeways are covered, the accuracy of the sensors are sometimes off, and we don't have a lot of freeways anyway. Where I live, if a freeway is clogged, the only other route is usually surface streets, and they are often clogged to. As I understand it, NavTraffic doesn't deal with traffic on surface streets.

However, I understand that SoCal has a very extensive freeway network and there are usually two or three different freeway routes you can take to get somewhere. Plus, they have the most developed loop detector systems. So yes, I can imagine NavTraffic makes much more sense there.

My bottom like is that our '06 doesn't have it, and I'm 99% sure there will never be an option to add it, short of ripping out the whole nav system and replacing it with a newer one. For me, that is so not worth it. My cell phone combined with our '06 nav is enough for me.