Enabling trip computer on TL natively

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
then you don't need my exe file - all you need is that patch from angrydad's original post.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyc
then you don't need my exe file - all you need is that patch from angrydad's original post.
Okay, gotcha. Thanks. I was looking for the precompiled version, but I'll try the patch.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Okay, gotcha. Thanks. I was looking for the precompiled version, but I'll try the patch.

His original post has both the patch and the precompiled version.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Any one have the A-Z steps for dummies or can someone post a step by step for those of who aren't programmers. Or should this stuff be leftto the pros. On a side note Angry Dad Id you had a paypal account set up I think their might be some who are willing to make a "reasearch" donation. Just a thought.

Am I making a new copy of the DVD or updating this one somehow. Sorry fellows this is out of my computer knowledge. Props to all who have shared this with others.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by wyzard
His original post has both the patch and the precompiled version.
Problem is, the precompiled version is a .rar file that won't open ... ?
(EDIT) Scratch that. I have myself confused now. It's a .com file, and you have to be able to edit the .bin file to use that version. I guess I'm not smart enough to use hex editors and command line lingo to get that done. I absolutely HATE anything that looks remotely like DOS.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FL Leo
On a side note Angry Dad Id you had a paypal account set up I think their might be some who are willing to make a "reasearch" donation. Just a thought.
Well, if you insist, here is a link to make donations.
I guess it should boost my inspiration to take care of the nag screen problem.

Donate here-> Acura Navi Research Donations

/AngryDad
Old 09-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FL Leo
Any one have the A-Z steps for dummies or can someone post a step by step for those of who aren't programmers. Or should this stuff be leftto the pros. On a side note Angry Dad Id you had a paypal account set up I think their might be some who are willing to make a "reasearch" donation. Just a thought.

Am I making a new copy of the DVD or updating this one somehow. Sorry fellows this is out of my computer knowledge. Props to all who have shared this with others.

Sure, I just did it on my 06 and it worked like a charm. Here is step by step what I did. (Remember, this works for people using file BNHH401A.BIN. To find out if you are using this file on your navi, start your navi and home map/guide, menu and cancel at the same time for 5 seconds. Hit version. Then hold menu for 5 seconds. It should say BNHH401A.BIN next to loading filename. If not, this will not work and you will have to get one of the other files floating around here.)

1. Download dumpnavi from here. http://philipedge.com/Acura_TL/navi-console.zip
2. Extract dumpnavi.exe from the zip and put it in an empty directory. (I made one on the C: drive and called it TLNAVI)
3. Download TLPatch401a from here. http://vistabug.com/pub/TLPatch401a.com Save it to the TLNAVI directory.
4. Take the original navi dvd out of the car and put it into your dvd reader on your PC.
5. Copy these 9 bin files from the dvd to the "TLNAVI" directory.
BN2HH12C.BIN
BN2HH110.BIN
BN2HH120.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
BN2HN12B.BIN
BN2HN18B.BIN
BN2HN380.BIN
BNHH401A.BIN
BNHN404A.BIN

6. Go to Start, Run and type CMD and hit enter.
7. Type cd \TLNAVI
8. Type dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract HMIManager.exe
9. It will extract the file to a new sub directory called BNHH401A
10. Type tlpatch401a
11. A menu will apear. Hit Yes and a new menu will apear asking where the HMIManager.exe is. Navigate to the BNHH401A directory that was created when you extracted it. Pick the file HMIMAN~1.exe and hit ok. It will patch it.
12. Now, in the same command window, type move bnhh401a\hmimanager.exe \tlnavi (you can't update the bin with the hmimanager.exe file still in the sub directory so this moves it to your working directory.)
13. Type dumpnavi BNHH401a.bin update HMIManager.exe
14. Your bnhh401a.bin file is now updated.
15. Now, just burn all the .BIN files to a CD. and go to your car.
16. Now, turn on the car and put in the original DVD and close the door on the dvd player.
17. Once the navi has booted, hit MAP/GUIDE, Menu and cancel at the same time and hold it for 5 seconds.
18. You get a diag menu. Hit version.
19. Go to the back for the car and eject the DVD and insert the CD, but this time DON'T slide the door on the dvd reader close.
20. Go to the navi screen and hit DISK LOAD.
21. Go back to the trunk and close the door. The navi screen will say it's loading the new OS and not to run off your car.
22. Once it's done, the navi will boot and say it's a bad disk. Just go to the trunk and insert the original DVD.
23. Enjoy your new menu options!

mmmm hope I got all the right. heheheh
Old 09-10-2006, 05:59 PM
9th Gear

Killer hack, I have noticed the 'Mode" function does not work. Only by pressing the actual mode button do the controls cycle thru floor, defrost, vent etc... Anyone else notice this?

Props to the research team that has hacked to this stage, looking forward to many more 'tweeks'...
Old 09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Advanced

Don't you hate it when you read your post and find mistakes.....Do you guys revert back to the original mode when you take it in for service? To return to factory.. Place the map dvd in, then map/guide+menu+cancel. Then hit disk load from the diag? Thanks Wyzard, I will have to try to it but it wont be till tomorrow. Angry I will have to wait till tomorrow as well, good luck with the nag screen.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome writeup chris (wyzard) I will try this out tomorrow and post up results also.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Wyzard, you are the man. I followed your step-by-step and it worked like greased butter.

BTW, to maintain case, I DID use all caps for the bin file and hmimanager where you went back to lower case in your instructions. Don't know if that was important or not, but it worked.

THANKS!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Wyzard, you are the man. I followed your step-by-step and it worked like greased butter.

BTW, to maintain case, I DID use all caps for the bin file and hmimanager where you went back to lower case in your instructions. Don't know if that was important or not, but it worked.

THANKS!

Yeah, the case shouldn't be important. I just got lazy.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryDad
Well, if you insist, here is a link to make donations.
I guess it should boost my inspiration to take care of the nag screen problem.

Donate here-> Acura Navi Research Donations

/AngryDad
the nag screen with no lag i will donate for sure

then with the 2007 comes out, if all it is, is software for the mp3, if we get that working more money!!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by z'stl
Killer hack, I have noticed the 'Mode" function does not work. Only by pressing the actual mode button do the controls cycle thru floor, defrost, vent etc... Anyone else notice this?

Props to the research team that has hacked to this stage, looking forward to many more 'tweeks'...
anyone confirm this? i have not checked mine yet
Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Yeah, the case shouldn't be important. I just got lazy.

Ok well, I just ran throught it again and checked case sensitivity and when I run dumpnavi it does not work unless you make sure the case is proper. i.e. HMIManager.exe and not hmimanager.exe

Thanks for inquiring about that Mike_TX. Glad I ran through it again. Though, Folowing everything exactly as it was listed will still work as I wasn't lazy when typing the dumpnavi commands.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by z'stl

I can confirm this. The mode button on the console still works, but the actual mode settings on the touch screen do not work. Nor does the off button. Fan speed and on is about it. Also, you can't get the fan speed to max using the touch screen.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro

I can confirm this. The mode button on the console still works, but the actual mode settings on the touch screen do not work. Nor does the off button. Fan speed and on is about it. Also, you can't get the fan speed to max using the touch screen.
oh ok, just the screen.....thought he was talking about on the actual controls...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

Another annoying thing is that the range in Trip Computer does not match the range on MID.

I am not fixing AirCon.exe that lazy Acura programmers forgot to update. Volunteers wanted to try the AirCon.exe from the TSX or Accord bins.

I might fix the coefficient in TripComputer.exe so the range in TC matches the one on MID.

/AngryDad
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 AM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

thanks AngryDad!!! Awesome post, I have an '06 TL and i think i'll try this sometime this week.

and thanks to wyzard for the step by step
Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Racer

No one has ever been able to fix the difference between the trip computer and the MID. I would be surprised if you find a way to get that done....but I hope you do!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
No one has ever been able to fix the difference between the trip computer and the MID. I would be surprised if you find a way to get that done....but I hope you do!
This is actually quite simple. The only thing I need is to figure out if the difference is always constant or it varies. If some of you are willing to take time to write down what MID and trip computer say when the tank is full, when the tank is [almost] empty, and at a couple of points in the middle (like 1/4 full, 1/2 full, 3/4 full), that'll help. To not clog the forum with all the replies, just PM me with values (like MID:275, TC: 250). Thanks.

/AngryDad
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I was unable to use dumpnavi to put the patched 3.50 HMIManager back in my 3.30 BIN file because it's several hundred bytes too big. What is the work-around for that, if any? Someone mentioned cebin, but I couldn't figure that out.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 PM
'04 TL w/Navi SSM

Thanks for sharing this with us, i cant wait to see what your next project hack will be : ^ )
Old 09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Pro

OK, I just completed this at lunch. It was very simple.

Here are my quick observations (which may be obvious to people already running this)

The initial information on the Navi trip meter seemed to have never been reset. It initially read
9814 Mi
301:51
22.4mpg
32.5mph
(it was interesting to see the long term gas mileage here)

To me this obviously means that this trip meter info is being stored/calculated seperately from the MID screen info (which means it may never be possible to have them match)

Initially my MID distance to empth showed 24mi higher than the navi trip meter. After resetting the navi trip meter, the gap closed to only 4mi in about 10miles travelled. I attribute this to the navi trip now calculating a higher average MPG(~31mpg) over this short highway trip and therefore the miles to empty going down at a much slower rate than the MID which I assume is using the longer term average of 22mpg.

Therefore I would think that they might change at the exact same rate (however still not be matched due to a possible offset, I will confirm on next fillup) if you reset BOTH at the exact same time.

I plan on resetting both in a few days when I fill up and closely document and observe the trends.

If my assumptions are true, there won't really be a way to make the miles to empty match unless you always reset them at the exact same time OR find a way to make both programs refers to the same average MPG calculation (probably very difficult).

I wonder if the reset on fillup option works so I have it on YES in preperation for my next fillup.

Also on my A/C screen, as pointed out, the fan speed doesn't go up to full and the modes don't work. However A/C on/off work normally unlike what someone else stated here.

Regardless, this is a very cool/easy hack.
Now here's hoping for the OK button removal.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Sure, I just did it on my 06 and it worked like a charm. Here is step by step what I did. (Remember, this works for people using file BNHH401A.BIN. To find out if you are using this file on your navi, start your navi and home map/guide, menu and cancel at the same time for 5 seconds. Hit version. Then hold menu for 5 seconds. It should say BNHH401A.BIN next to loading filename. If not, this will not work and you will have to get one of the other files floating around here.)

1. Download dumpnavi from here. http://philipedge.com/Acura_TL/navi-console.zip
2. Extract dumpnavi.exe from the zip and put it in an empty directory. (I made one on the C: drive and called it TLNAVI)
3. Download TLPatch401a from here. http://vistabug.com/pub/TLPatch401a.com Save it to the TLNAVI directory.
4. Take the original navi dvd out of the car and put it into your dvd reader on your PC.
5. Copy these 9 bin files from the dvd to the "TLNAVI" directory.
BN2HH12C.BIN
BN2HH110.BIN
BN2HH120.BIN
BN2HHMLD.BIN
BN2HN12B.BIN
BN2HN18B.BIN
BN2HN380.BIN
BNHH401A.BIN
BNHN404A.BIN

6. Go to Start, Run and type CMD and hit enter.
7. Type cd \TLNAVI
8. Type dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract HMIManager.exe
9. It will extract the file to a new sub directory called BNHH401A
10. Type tlpatch401a
11. A menu will apear. Hit Yes and a new menu will apear asking where the HMIManager.exe is. Navigate to the BNHH401A directory that was created when you extracted it. Pick the file HMIMAN~1.exe and hit ok. It will patch it.
12. Now, in the same command window, type move bnhh401a\hmimanager.exe \tlnavi (you can't update the bin with the hmimanager.exe file still in the sub directory so this moves it to your working directory.)
13. Type dumpnavi BNHH401a.bin update HMIManager.exe
14. Your bnhh401a.bin file is now updated.
15. Now, just burn all the .BIN files to a CD. and go to your car.
16. Now, turn on the car and put in the original DVD and close the door on the dvd player.
17. Once the navi has booted, hit MAP/GUIDE, Menu and cancel at the same time and hold it for 5 seconds.
18. You get a diag menu. Hit version.
19. Go to the back for the car and eject the DVD and insert the CD, but this time DON'T slide the door on the dvd reader close.
20. Go to the navi screen and hit DISK LOAD.
21. Go back to the trunk and close the door. The navi screen will say it's loading the new OS and not to run off your car.
22. Once it's done, the navi will boot and say it's a bad disk. Just go to the trunk and insert the original DVD.
23. Enjoy your new menu options!

mmmm hope I got all the right. heheheh
after the step 8. Type dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract HMIManager.exe
it's telling me that I have an invalid XIP file what is wrong??
Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by brianp6621
OK, I just completed this at lunch. It was very simple.

Here are my quick observations (which may be obvious to people already running this)

The initial information on the Navi trip meter seemed to have never been reset. It initially read
9814 Mi
301:51
22.4mpg
32.5mph
(it was interesting to see the long term gas mileage here)

To me this obviously means that this trip meter info is being stored/calculated seperately from the MID screen info (which means it may never be possible to have them match)

Initially my MID distance to empth showed 24mi higher than the navi trip meter. After resetting the navi trip meter, the gap closed to only 4mi in about 10miles travelled. I attribute this to the navi trip now calculating a higher average MPG(~31mpg) over this short highway trip and therefore the miles to empty going down at a much slower rate than the MID which I assume is using the longer term average of 22mpg.

Therefore I would think that they might change at the exact same rate (however still not be matched due to a possible offset, I will confirm on next fillup) if you reset BOTH at the exact same time.

I plan on resetting both in a few days when I fill up and closely document and observe the trends.

If my assumptions are true, there won't really be a way to make the miles to empty match unless you always reset them at the exact same time OR find a way to make both programs refers to the same average MPG calculation (probably very difficult).

I wonder if the reset on fillup option works so I have it on YES in preperation for my next fillup.

Also on my A/C screen, as pointed out, the fan speed doesn't go up to full and the modes don't work. However A/C on/off work normally unlike what someone else stated here.

Using an earlier Trip Computer hack, I have already tried resetting both the MID and the TC at the same time, and it doesn't matter ... the DTE's still read differently. As Kennedy has pointed out, they apparently operate on different metrics - that is, the TC is figuring DTE based on Accord factors and not TL factors.

As for the reset on fillup, it does work. Doing so erases the History readout, though, so even though you don't have to reset the MPG with each fillup, everything is reset and you don't have a running average anymore.

I'm leaving tomorrow on a trip, and I plan to do this: I'll manually reset the MPG when I fill up, but let the History keep a record of my total trip mileage.

And BTW, as has been reported before, the MPG calc appears to be spot-on. I've double-checked it through 4 fillups so far and it hardly varies from the "gallons v. miles" method. And it tells you MUCH more than the stupid 2-digit MID readout ... you can have 19.9 and the MID will just say "19". Big difference IMO!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jcincontrol
after the step 8. Type dumpnavi BNHH401A.BIN extract HMIManager.exe
it's telling me that I have an invalid XIP file what is wrong??
Never seen this but are you sure you typed the right filename?

There is BNHH401A.BIN and BNHN404A.BIN

You want BNHH401A.BIN.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Pro

Using an earlier Trip Computer hack, I have already tried resetting both the MID and the TC at the same time, and it doesn't matter ... the DTE's still read differently. As Kennedy has pointed out, they apparently operate on different metrics - that is, the TC is figuring DTE based on Accord factors and not TL factors.
But that was using an accord file. Now that we are enabling it natively within our TL software, it could be different.

As for the reset on fillup, it does work. Doing so erases the History readout, though, so even though you don't have to reset the MPG with each fillup, everything is reset and you don't have a running average anymore.
I was wondering how the history worked. So it remains a full history (from mile zero) of the car? Not the history since the last reset?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Praise to the Navi Hack Gods

I did this after work in about 20 minutes.. Simple to do, no problems.. I was not expecting it to be this easy.. thanks to all that took care of this..

ocwill1
Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Smile How the features for TRIP work

Voice Command for 'air off' confirms the air is off, but it does not trun off. Assume this is result of the incomplete nav air module. The fan adjusments works fine but not the mode touch buttons as noted earlier.

My History button is dimmed. What is history?
What is E/T (estimated time to what?)
If i reset the TRIP with the reset button, will that also reset the MID?

My MID and Trip is off by 10 miles, which is the milage when I took ownership of the car.

The AMPG is also one more on the Trip vs the MID. Again I assume this is a result of the TRIP module never being adjusted for the 06 parameters, since it was never to be activated by acura for the TL.

I really love the Instant MPG graph. Is now my default screen while driving.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

I'm thinking that their has to be somewhere you can adjust the mileage in the TC on the Navi to read the same as the MID. It is probably different due to the different tire sizes from the accord to the TL (rolling circumference). Hopefully someone can figure it out....
Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Pro

I will have to check the voice command for A/C off in my car. I don't use it often but it would bother me slightly if it no longer worked.

I think the history shows up when you reset the trip. However I don't know if the history remains a history from the last time it was reset or the permanent full history.

As I stated above, the Navi Trip and MID Trip seems to act COMPLETELY independant so reseting one does not affect the other.

As I also stated above, when you first enable the Trip screen, the miles should be the amount on your ODO since it has never been reset. And again the AMPG is calculated seperately between the 2, so since they cover different times/miles the AMPG is different. It has yet to be shown if they both calculate the same over the exact same period.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by blokhead
I'm thinking that their has to be somewhere you can adjust the mileage in the TC on the Navi to read the same as the MID. It is probably different due to the different tire sizes from the accord to the TL (rolling circumference). Hopefully someone can figure it out....
This doesn't have anything to do with accords (unless acura put the accord code in the TL software and never modified it at all). This is activating code already in the TL not replacing it with code from the Accord like the previous hacks.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
AcurAdmirer

This doesn't have anything to do with accords (unless acura put the accord code in the TL software and never modified it at all). This is activating code already in the TL not replacing it with code from the Accord like the previous hacks.
Yeah, but Brian, the Trip Computer software on the Navi disc IS for the Accord. They just put the whole shootin' match on the same disc. There IS no on-screen TC for the TL, or they would have enabled it themselves.

What the hack does is to execute the Accord program. Fortunately, the fuel usage is what it is - regardless of car - and the mileage is what it is, so the MPG reading is correct. The main thing it does for us is to add the "tenths" to the MPG so it has some meaning. No one is even sure if the instantaneous MPG readout is accurate.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Yeah, It does work. It was just me not understanding what it was doing. I was expecting it to cut everything off. But it leaves it blowing and just cuz the AC off. My bad.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Pro

Yeah, but Brian, the Trip Computer software on the Navi disc IS for the Accord. They just put the whole shootin' match on the same disc. There IS no on-screen TC for the TL, or they would have enabled it themselves.

What the hack does is to execute the Accord program. Fortunately, the fuel usage is what it is - regardless of car - and the mileage is what it is, so the MPG reading is correct. The main thing it does for us is to add the "tenths" to the MPG so it has some meaning. No one is even sure if the instantaneous MPG readout is accurate.

How do we know this? The file we are extracting is a file that is specific to the TL as this is the file that is confirmed to be loading when Navi boots. This hack simply modifies a file which was already written for the TL, not replaces a file for the TL with an Accord file (previous hack) which is why this hack does't mess up ANY other functions. And just because it isn't enabled by default, doesn't mean it wasn't written for the TL specifically. It could have been deemed too confusing for the interface or just not finished in time.

So as I said before, unless I am missing something, the only other way this could have anything to do with accords is if they just copied the accord Trip software into the TL file and didn't correct it for use with the TL.

But as far as I understand it we are NOT using "accord" software, like we were with previous hacks.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Pro

Here are some new updates I decided to reset both the MID and the Navi Trip before leaving work.

First, this let me know that in fact the history is just since the last reset, it is not a running long term history.

When I did the reset I was slightly over half a tank and the MID Nav showed 207 DTE and the Navi Trip showed 204 DTE.

When I got home the MID Nav showed
AMPG 20
AMPH 24
Distance 11
Time 00:29
DTE 184
and the Navi Trip showed
AMPG 20.1
Distance 11.6
Time 00:28
DTE 191

So overally everything is pretty matched. They both calculated roughly the same MPG. However as witnessed before the DTE is different. The Navi DTE fell by 16 miles over an ~12 mile trip and the MID DTE fell by 23 miles over the same trip.

So this does seem to show the MID DTE falling much quicker than the Navi DTE and doesn't support my theory earlier that with this new hack, if both were reset at the same time, they would both fall at the same rate but maybe with a constant offset.

My plan now is to not reset my MID trip at all and allow the Navi reset to occur at fillup and watch the relationship. This way with the MID I can track long term MPG and with the Navi Trip I can watch the current and last tank MPG.

Oh yeah, and for others new to this, the instantaneous MPG only displays in 5MPG increments.
And I also confirmed that the Voice command for A/C off still works.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

It could be that the HMIManager is just calling external applications and this hack modifies it to call the TC application. Though the HMIManager getting patched is the TL version, the TC may not be. The TC application may be somewhat universal to Accord and TL, but it may not be reading in some TL-specific information, such as tank capacity. Perhaps there is a data file that gets read by TC which contains all the vehicle-specific information.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Oh yeah, and for others new to this, the instantaneous MPG only displays in 5MPG increments.
Really? So it'll only show 20, 25, 30 MPG? That seems pretty useless, actually.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by bluenoise
It could be that the HMIManager is just calling external applications and this hack modifies it to call the TC application. Though the HMIManager getting patched is the TL version, the TC may not be. The TC application may be somewhat universal to Accord and TL, but it may not be reading in some TL-specific information, such as tank capacity.

Dingdingdingding! Give the man a prize!

I believe that's exactly what it's doing.

Perhaps there is a data file that gets read by TC which contains all the vehicle-specific information.
Now that I don't know, but since Acura decided not to install this in the TL, I'll bet there IS no TL-specific data file for it.

Quick Reply: Enabling trip computer on TL natively