ELS Speaker Life

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELS Speaker Life

Just curious but I found by searching people saying the stock Pioneers do not last too long. I do not want to get into a custom set up, because I already have another car for that, so I am curious if it would make sense to replace all of the speakers with new stock ones again. I found an Acura dealer online that sells all eight for about $200. Mine is an 06 and I do not know how the previous owner listened to music i.e. loud, heavy bass, etc.

Also would the 07-08's offer different sound? Every time I had one for a loaner it sounded different but when I asked the question on here if anything changed people didn't think so but they too noticed a difference.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Are all of yours blown? For $200 you could get a nice set of front components. I've never seen anyone blow the center or even the rears.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced

No they all aren't blown and I do not think any need replacement either. I was just wondering after a while if the speakers should be replaced just from use over time.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Would components really benefit from the factory amp? I do not want to spend money on all of that for this car. I will search more on what speakers people are using but it is all over the place.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Team Owner

I'm not sure why they all sound different but I've noticed it too. As far as I know the sound doesn't change over time unless there's a problem. There are a couple guys on here that could answer this question for sure.

As for aftermarket, everyone will recommend a different set. What took me over a year to figure out is it's personal preference so the best advice is to listen to different sets yourself. What I think sounds good may not to you. I personally think my component set sounds better than some costing 3X as much but that's just my opinion. I like smooth detailed highs. The infinities were harsh but the new ones are great. However, I have friends that like the highs on the Infinities better. I know this isn't much help...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Are you running all 4ohm speakers or did you find 2ohms?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they're not blown and this is not your preferred car to listen in, then I'd stick with them until there is a problem and save the $200. More than likely they'll be fine unless you really abuse them.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Originally Posted by dmcfan
Would components really benefit from the factory amp? I do not want to spend money on all of that for this car. I will search more on what speakers people are using but it is all over the place.
No. Any decent component set is going to require 50-100 watts to really get the full capability out of them.

Originally Posted by darcar
If they're not blown and this is not your preferred car to listen in, then I'd stick with them until there is a problem and save the $200. More than likely they'll be fine unless you really abuse them.
+1. The statement that the stock speakers do not last too long really makes no sense to me. Don't spend time/money replacing them unless there's a problem.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darcar
That's true. I've been sending over twice the rated power handling to my stock rear speakers but with them crossed at 100hz and they've taken it fine for over a year. In the beginning I started "tuning" by turning it up to the loudest I would listen to it and bringing the crossover up until they stopped bottoming. I figured I would be going aftermarket soon but these things have surprised me. Even the SQ is pretty good with an aftermarket amp pushing them.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 PM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's true. I've been sending over twice the rated power handling to my stock rear speakers but with them crossed at 100hz and they've taken it fine for over a year. In the beginning I started "tuning" by turning it up to the loudest I would listen to it and bringing the crossover up until they stopped bottoming. I figured I would be going aftermarket soon but these things have surprised me. Even the SQ is pretty good with an aftermarket amp pushing them.
So you've got 2 channels bridged to your subs, 1 each to your ID's, then 1 each to your rears? Does it pull your soundstage rearward with your stocks being amped or do you fade them out?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
So you've got 2 channels bridged to your subs, 1 each to your ID's, then 1 each to your rears? Does it pull your soundstage rearward with your stocks being amped or do you fade them out?

Actually I have four channels bridged to two for the front and the rears run off the remaining 2 channels. They're used just for fill. I've found that it sounds better with just the fronts on when I'm stopped and showing it off but driving with road noise I like it better to have just enough rear fill to cover up some of the noise. I have a separate amp for the subs. So, the rears are sort of faded as in not as loud as the front but they're getting the full power from the amp, just not bridged.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

^ Got it. I was just going by your sig and assumed you were running everything off the 6-channel.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

I tried to fit the other amp but I ran out of lines in the sig. That would be a bit confusing lol.

It's actually a VERY old Infinity Digital 300 (1000 watts) that I got new in the box a couple years ago. Seems to be doing well but I've always wondered how it compares to some of the new stuff out there.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Instructor

My personal opinion, the ELS system is pretty nice.
Although they don't really push out midbass, the overall quality of the speakers are amazing.
Plus, I get discount price from dealership = Really Cheap and good sound quality.
But if i was to upgrade my sub, then I would have to go with aftermarket component speakers.
But right now, everything is superb!