ELS Audio Replacement questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ELS Audio Replacement questions...

Greetings, I recently bought a 08 TLS 6spd and I am not impressed with the ELS sound quality. I want to replace the speakers and the sub, but I have some questions. PLEASE HELP!

1. I want a system that has great sound quality. Is simply replacing the speakers sufficient for the ELS system, or do people recommend adding a amp for the speakers? (Id like to avoid the cost/hassle of adding a amp to the factory system if possible)

2. Are the polk Db's the way to go for the speakers? Crutchfield told me that they will "drop in" the present locations- with the exception of the tweeters. I was thinking about going with the Polk Components for the front and the two-ways in the rear. Any suggestions on the type of aftermarket speaker?

3. Is it worth the hassle to try to "drop" a replacement sub in the factory location, or would it be less hassle to have a larger sub custom fitted in the trunk if I am going to end up amping it? It sounds like any aftermarket sub will not be powered by the factory amp. Ive read other forums and I have noticed mixed responses.

4. Is it even possible to add a 2nd amp (for the sub) while still running the factory amp?

Again, I am looking for sound quality, everyone's suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
1. Amp them

2. polks are nice. i'd get them

3.ditch the factory sub. not worth the hassle
Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quite frankly it all depends on you, your taste, and your budget... the more money you $$$$$$$$$$ willing to put in it = the better sound. so with that said lets total our audio system and see if you are budget is ready for it.

also depends who will get to install your pride fo sound......

ready?
wiring can be any were from 50 for jusnk to over a grand. yeah yeah yeah here comes the bashing why over a grand?
well 0 gauge hyper wire or very similar is expensive.
inreconnects(rca cable)
speaker wire
other connectors and etc.....

drivers (speakers) any were from 50 for a pair to almost a grand if not more.

want a system that has great sound quality.
Well in that case get ready to shell some $$$$
driver placement? factory locations or custom? if 2nd choise then you need more$$$$$$

Id like to avoid the cost/hassle of adding a amp to the factory system if possible
then you can not have a sytem that will have great sound quality.

procesing (equilization) from $100. to way over a grand......

Yes sir.... you see it is like fine vine. the better it is the more it $$$$

Should I continue? ok thanks.

now for better part, we are almost there. yes we are.

we now come to amplifiers, not the ones that youse to over power someone on CB radio. but the ones that will make the music(sound) come alife.
and once again, you can get a crap for $50.00 or pay several thousand $$$.....

yes I did said several thousand.

you ask why?

it is called signal to noise ratio(head room), among other things. and the importand part who made it.

ok ok almost done......

subbass=$$$$
like above the better ones cost more.

getting there......

now we will need a enclosure(box) to put those expesive($$$$ woofers in) if it is not optimized for that driver(woofer) then you might as well get Craco brand......

now with all those components comes rattle on top of factory one.....
now you will need to stop the rattle and that will cost some more$$$$

once you took care of the rattle, now you can use dampaning product like dynamat and such. if done properly can get quite $$$ if not $$$$.

here comes the last part. tunning.

to make it sound good you need to tune with special equipment... choot forgot, that takes even more $$$.

so once again how much do you have to spend?

almost forgot...... the INSTALL part.
if done correctly it will sound like you want it. if you take it to best buy, well it will sound like any other amped system out there.

or you can save a lot and just read this post.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...29&postcount=3
Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fade2Black, thanks for the feedback, I think I am in the lower echelon of your spectrum for $, but your feedback is appreciated regardless. Ive actually did the more expenisve route in my previous automobile, and I guess I am trying not to break my bank because the costs never ended.

You did bring up one question I had, regarding sound quality and Signal to Noise ratio; SNR has always been one of my main determining factors when looking at head units, however since I am keeping the factory head, will pairing it with amp that has a higher quality SNR clean up the sound? One of my fears of amping a factory head was that I would not get the benefit of the cleaner processing of the amp because the signal from the head unit would already be of a lower quality.

Of course, that was only my assumption....
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Gary,
I might have vent a tiny bit over board, but I wanted to make one think certain. if you want quality sound it will COST MONEY.

with that said, with proper planning you can come up with a killer system that will not break the bank.

you may have to look at used components and such.

as far as processing goes. there are plenty options, from all nme brands including some that "some people" have never heard.

now for the factory radio, it is of good quality.

in fact the factory radio is so good that it won one of the finals I think at the IASCA.

1. plan ahead
2. get good components.
3. do proper install and tuning.

and you will end up with what you are after.

good luck on your ventior of high end sound.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Sorry Gary,

I realy did not answer your question, but have to go and be be back in couple of hours and will gladly go into detail if you like.