Easy way to quiet ratlle frmo center speaker/grille?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy way to quiet ratlle frmo center speaker/grille?

I have an anoying and now more prevelant rattle/buzz from my center speaker/grille. It used to happen just when the car was cold, but now rears it's head almost constantly and is very obvious whe idling and the car is cold. I can quiet it by pushing down on the center speaker grille consistently.

Does anyone know if the center grille is easily removed so I can try and silence this annoying buzz?

Thanks,

Stu E.

04 TL SSM/Ebony 6mt Venture/XPEL Clear Bra
Old 05-13-2004, 01:26 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu E.
I have an anoying and now more prevelant rattle/buzz from my center speaker/grille. It used to happen just when the car was cold, but now rears it's head almost constantly and is very obvious whe idling and the car is cold. I can quiet it by pushing down on the center speaker grille consistently.

Does anyone know if the center grille is easily removed so I can try and silence this annoying buzz?

Thanks,

Stu E.

04 TL SSM/Ebony 6mt Venture/XPEL Clear Bra
I was informed that the grill can be easily removed with a couple of "bent" paperclips. I also have a very minor "buzz" from mine but have yet to fix it.

Supposedly the grill just pops straight up -n- out. My noise is on the right side of the grill, yours?

I'll probably take the time this weekend to check it out...

Let me know what you find.

Smitty
Old 05-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Same thing here..

Smitty,

That's exactly where mine is (appears to be upper right). Do you know where these well placed paperclips should go?

Thanks for the insight,

Stu E.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:44 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu E.
Smitty,

That's exactly where mine is (appears to be upper right). Do you know where these well placed paperclips should go?

Thanks for the insight,

Stu E.
Have not tried it myself but the individual that did said to find two paperclips that fit through the holes in the grill, bend in an "L" shape so you can stick them through and pull up. Thats all I was told. I would (plan to..) start on one side vs trying to pull the entire grill up at once. Place your fabricated hooks about two inches apart next to the edge on one side and pull gently. Kind of work your way around the edge so to speak pulling gently enough not to deform the grill. Just have to be careful when you don't really know what's holding the grill in... Also, be careful not to work the clip too far into the grill, I'm not sure how close the speaker/cone is...

The individual made it sound like it came out quite easily.... My rattle is very intermittent so I just haven't taken the time. Your recent post warranted a response due to mine reappearing just yesterday....

Maybe tomorrow I will perform "the surgery". All part of my WDP R & D.

Smitty
Old 11-15-2004, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

I had the same type of rattle coming from my rear right speaker (passenger side). I found that if you remove the carpeted covering in the trunk and look through the metal slots. You will see that the inside carpeted piece has plastic looking rivets. These rivets when the bass hits bounce against the metal causing the rattling. I placed a piece of rubber with two sided tape on to the metal, between the rivet and the metal. There are about 3 or 4 places. This stopped the rattling. I hope this will help someone else. It is so much nicer listening the the stereo without that rattle.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:12 AM
10th Gear

Quieting the rattle

I also approached this from the trunk. But I wired the subwoofer cage to the frame with 22ga wiring and quieted the rattle.

Both work well.