DVD / NAV conversion review

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD / NAV conversion review

Let me start by saying that FM Modulation sucks big time so find some other way to get this done.

Now for the skinny. I bought the box offered from vitaliy sokolov and let me say that this thing IS NOT plug and play AT ALL. My installer had to split the wires and tap into each RGB wire on the Navi. ( I did NOT DO THE Install so this is what I believe he did).

He used a 4 port video in and out box as well as a FM modulator to get the sound. The FM modulator is not a very good choice, ANY suggestions how to get around this???? I hear I can splice into the XM line is this true??? Please PM me if you have any suggestions Thanks..

The FM modulator basically takes an FM station and that is what you use for the sound. Well mine is in the dash and it does NOT pickup the station well at all. During our drive from Tampa to Key West there was soo much static that is was pretty much useless to try and hear the sound on the DVD's. I changed the channel on the FM modulator midway through and that help A TON but there was still noticable static, but it was bareable at best. I really need a way around this. I hear blitzsafe is coming out with an adapter but I havent hear anything there either.

The picture is pretty good, although the DVD player skips a bit, even with the buffer, but that is expected since you are driving on a road. I will say that widescreen movies are a little smaller than I thought they would be and they are in the middle( of course) but there is about the same amount of black space on the top and bottom as the entire movie. It still looks really good though.

The full screen movies are SWEEEETTTTTT, they take up the whole screen and look really nice and the screen is soo big that it looks amazing. Again the widescreen looks good, but it's a bit small.

Hopefully this review helped those a little that are looking to get this done.

After is all said and done I spent $1000

4 hours of labor $180
DVD Player $200
FM Modulator $30
4 Port Video $120
vitaliy sokolov $270
Overnight ship $80
tax and misc $100

If anyone has any suggestions how I can make this better at all, Sound better or other ideas they are much appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks

Ryan

Pics to come within the week.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Racer

Just one last note.

I have a switch installed below my dash to switch between the Nav screen and the DVD screen. I can listen to any of my audio (CD, XM, Radio or the DVD) while watching either the DVD screen or the Nav directions.

Ryan
Old 11-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vidoprof,

First, this may or may not help the audio. Is your fm modulator hardwired? If not, isn't the FM antenna on our car in the rear, either trunk or roof. And if you are sending an fm signal you may get less static the closer the modulator is to the antenna.

Can you take a lot of pictures when you get a chance. In particular; the placement of the switch, location of dvd player/convertor/fm modulator, any other visible installation things (spliced wires).

Do you know anything about the install or did the guy do it all without you there? Who did the install?

TIA
Old 11-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Shibby

i agree you should have mounted the modulator in the trunk the antenna is in the rear winshield and would have recieved a better singal by far
Old 11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Racer

The FM modulator for sure IS WIRELESS. I know that for a fact. So maybe THAT IS THE problem. They are going to try and get around this however with the use of either tapping into the XM feed or by hardwiring one to the unit.

I don't know anything really about this install a shop did this for me, I know they normally do VERY good work, they have worked on a couple other cars for me but the only issue I have is the static. I guess again because it's wireless and that could be the reason.

The FM mod is in the glove box right near the DVD player. The dvd player is located in the glove box as well.

I guess I will tell them about trying to mount it to the rear of deck. They are totally redoing my car over for my audio install so I will get them to look at that idea. Is the XM splice idea a good choice? How is that done exactly so I can tell them? I dont mind it being half volume simply because I am going to have WAY more power than I need and even at half volume with the new system is will be way louder than at full volume stock. So the loud part is not an issue at all.

I will get pics hopefully tomorrow before they do anything to it.

How can I post them up here anyone have a way to do that? Maybe I can just put a link to yahoo photos or something.

thanks for the help MUCH appreciated... now if I could only have found a way to make the stock navi Widescreen ..

Ryan
Old 12-02-2004, 01:35 AM
Banned

hey vidoprof do you know where I could get one of those video boxes
Old 12-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

There are a couple places..

AvElectronic.com has an $$ one that is plug and play.. you might want to read a bunch of threads on it really...

I used the only by Vitaly Tosolov.. I think that is it... again it's all over the threads.. just do a search by DVD conversion or AVelectronic and it will come up.

I read for days before i decided.... My install shop did it for me using Tosolov's (sp?) and they had to splice each wire and make sure the colors were correct.. a lot more work but better so I have been told..

Hope that helped.. if not then PM me and I will try and elaborate further..

Ryan
Old 12-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Racer

You know the old saying........You get what you pay for. Heres my install btw: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94981
Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Racer

Yup def do..

But my install is now going to be complete tomorrow and they have taken out the FM modulator and spliced into the XM to get the signal using relays and apparently it is working great.

I will post everything with pics hopefully tomorrow or this weekend.

I did read your thread a BUNCH of times before I went out and got the stuff to do it. I just liked the Tsolotov's unit better, the install guys here have used it a couple times before so they knew it well.

Ryan