DVD-A Compatibility Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD-A Compatibility Question

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a search and didn't see anything definitive.

I bought a couple of DVD-A's the other day, and before I open them (and render them unreturnable) I wanted to make sure these will play in my TL (I have an '06 BTW).

The first is Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet/Nil Recurring DVD-A. The other is The Police - Every Breath You Take The Classics. This doesn't actually say "DVD-A" anywhere on the package, only "DTS 5.1 Music Disc." Does anyone have one or both of these discs and can confirm if they play in the TL?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but a few weeks ago I bought PT's FOABP Limited Edition, which is apparently only DTS and not DVD-A, and this wouldn't play in my TL. I had to sell it for a loss on Ebay. Just want to make sure I won't have the same problem with the new FOABP release, and also the Police disc which is not labelled DVD-A anywhere.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:25 PM
now with four rings

i've got Porcupine Tree's 'In Absentia' DVD...it says 'DTS Surround Music' along the side, but it also says 'DVD-Audio/Video' on it...then on the back it has a chart showing the formats it plays and it shows DVD-A 5.1 and DTS Surround 5.1...and i'm sure you already know this, but our cars do play DTS Surround discs (it's got the logo on our stereo)...but i'm not going to tell you yeah it'll play and have you rip it open...see what others have to say, but i'm guessing it will work...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

I've got The Police DTS/DVD-A disc and it plays. Sounds great actually. I thought there was an echo when I first put it in then realized that you could actually hear the beads resonate on the snare drum after it was hit.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
10th Gear

I have the Porcupine Tree Fear of a Blank Planet/Nil Recurring DVD-A and it plays in my TL in glorious surround sound. I also have PT's Stupid Dream, In Absentia and Deadwing DVD-A's and all sound great as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Cruisin'

Excellent, thanks all. Looks like I'm good to go.