Dvd Audio Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metallica is good. You will LOVE the Linkin Park "Reanimation" DVD-A!!! I thought the album was so-so when I got it on CD, but it rocks in 5.1! I have yet to take it out of the changer!

-X-
Old 06-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Visit acoustic sounds.com
Old 06-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (you get the DTS 5.1 DVD-A and the CD)
Queensryche - Empire

http://www.dtsentertainment.com/dvdaudio.php
http://www.dtsentertainment.com/music-featured.php
Old 06-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by automata
SACD's will not play in surround in the TL.
You sure about that? "Dark Side of the Moon" in SACD format sounded as good as any of my DVD-A's. It is really amazing to hear the nuances of surround - especially on the opening track of this album. The heartbeat alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

I ordered three discs from dvdempire.com. I was satisfied with their service.

I bought Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors", The 1812 Overture, and the Silverline "Classic Rock" compilation.

I pick up the TL today, so I don't yet know how the discs will sound in the car, but I played all three at home.

"Rumors" sounded uniformly good, but not outstanding. The quality of the tracks on the "Classic Rock" disc varied from OK to excellent. The 1812 Overture disc may have had some problems with my six year old DVD player as the sound dropped out frequently. I'll play it in the car and make sure the disc itself isn't defective.

Lee Herman
http://www.lhmopars.com
1969 Dodge Dart GT Convertible - 340-4bbl/A727
1987 Dodge Diplomat SE - Loaded!
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6
2004 Acura TL - AT+Navi ABP/Quartz (coming soon!)
Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Furio
I just got these three DVD-A dics today:

Metallica: Metallica
Elvis: 30 Greatest Hits
REM: Best Of

All three sound great. I think Metallica got so-so reviews, but it sounded great to me. Next on my list is Linkin Parks' DVD-A.

I got mine from cduniverse.com and circuitcity.com, but dvduniverse.com and you should go here for a good comprehensive list of current and upcoming titles:

http://www.dvdangle.com/dvd_audio/titles.html
that list was last updated 12/7/03.

Does anyone know of a mailing list for announcements of new releases?
Old 06-25-2004, 02:09 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Originally Posted by jefffree
You sure about that? "Dark Side of the Moon" in SACD format sounded as good as any of my DVD-A's. It is really amazing to hear the nuances of surround - especially on the opening track of this album. The heartbeat alone is worth the price of admission.
You played the Dark Sid of the Moon SACD in your TL? I have a few SACD's and tried them in the TL and they didn't play. Are you sure it's in surround and not stereo? I've been wanting to pick that disc up but was waiting to see if it was released in DVD-A.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Love my TL

Originally Posted by 6spdzoomzoom
Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" (SCAD) its awesome
I know this is a stupid newbie question but the TL's DVD audio player plays SCAD disks?
It was my understanding that SCAD disks are in a different format and you need a SCAD player to play these.
thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Racer

Unfortunately the TL does not play SCAD.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by automata
You played the Dark Sid of the Moon SACD in your TL? I have a few SACD's and tried them in the TL and they didn't play. Are you sure it's in surround and not stereo? I've been wanting to pick that disc up but was waiting to see if it was released in DVD-A.
Yes indeedee. SACD format and sounded great. Mighta been the anticipation that made me think it surrounded good, but it was almost haunting. Crank up the volume of "Money" and you'll see.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:49 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Originally Posted by jefffree
Yes indeedee. SACD format and sounded great. Mighta been the anticipation that made me think it surrounded good, but it was almost haunting. Crank up the volume of "Money" and you'll see.
So it's a hybrid playing in stereo. I may just have to get it then, even thought I have that album on LP, CD and DVD(making of).
Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Racer

I'll second (or is that third or fourth?) the Linkin Park Reanimation recommendation. Loved the disc in standard format, blew me away in DVD-A.

As for others:
Alan Parsons - Try Anything Once (not their best album, but it sounds amazing in 5.1)
Eagles - Hotel California (also mentioned a couple of times in this thread)
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee (this is a must have for anyones collection in any format. I have the DTS version and have been unable to track down the DVD-A version, but it's out there)

Disappointments:
Jonatha Brooke - Steady Pull (not much different than the 2 channel release, but the DVD-V on the other side makes it worth it)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Still looking for:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I don't beleive the one claim that the SACD version plays on a DVD-A player and I ain't gonna waste $20 to test it out)
Old 06-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

My favorites are:

Metallica-Metallica (I'm surprised by the mediocre reviews...I think it is great...but the surround "effect" is just not as noticeable on other dvd-a's)

Everclear-So Much for the Afterglow (the surround effect is incredible...sometimes for the worse in my opinion...but the distinct sound of the different instruments and vocals are great...you hear sounds that you don't normally hear in stereo)
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots was mixed for DVD-A/DTS5.1 by Elliot Scheiner, the "ELS" in the audio system of the TL.

I am fairly certain it should utilize most of, if not max out, the possibilities of the TL's surround system.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:31 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

Ryan Adams - Gold.

Best rock disc of 2001.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SACD & ELS system

SACD's will play in the TL if they are the hybrid variety. That means besides the SACD surround they also have a CD layer in them. Non-hybrid SACD's won't play.

They're playing in reduced resolution CD mode, not the full surround SACD multi-channel mix you'd hear on a SACD capable player.

I have "Dark Side of the Moon" on SACD and if you read the inside of the last page of the insert it states that the disc is hybrid. SACD and DVD-A aren't compatible formats and SACD's require a special decoder chip licensed from Sony. If a player is SACD capable it will display the SACD logo on the front someplace.

Will they sound better than a standard CD? Oh yes, because they use the SACD master and down convert it for the CD layer.

Another variant of the DVD-A, HDAD, is also available. Basically it's a DVD-A disc but doesn't have to conform to DVD-A rules on packaging, logos, and such. The trick is that they include a the DVD-A track on one side and a DVD Video audio track on the other so people with just DVD Video players can also play the disc. And they will play in TL.

Alan Parson's Project I, Robot and A Turn of a Friendly Card have both been released on HDAD by Classic Records.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Advanced

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/search.cfm

appears to have a lot od DVD-A and at decent prices

I think I am going to e-mail Ty and see if he is going to remaster the King's X catalog on DVD-A.... Gretchen Goes to Nebraska in 5.1 would rule.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro

Today I picked up:

Natalie Merchant: Tigerlilly
Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales

(I am "old").

Both sound good. I got them at Tower Records, which so far has the largest selection that I have seen in person.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" (their latest release). Since this was recorded and engineered recently, the surround mix is very noticeable and natural at the same time. It's just awesome.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Marquis, the copy of Toy Matinee I have is both dts and dvd-a. I got it from acousticsounds.com. You can choose which surround format to listen to (at least I can on my Denon dvd player). The dvd is marked dts on top of the case and dvd audio on the bottom. I'll be getting my TL this week so I won't how it will work with it until then.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:18 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I've got something like 25 or more DVD-A's at the moment. Many of them mentioned here. I've also listened to others that I borrowed from friends. Without a doubt, nothing, and I mean nothing, I've heard yet can compare to Tipper-Surrounded IMHO. The disk has been referred to as Down Tempo and/or Chill Out music. I guess the guy is known more for his Techno/Backbeats style. This disk is a departure from his previous work, and used up over 700 hours of studio time to get right. Musically, it takes a little getting used. But over time, I’ve come to really like this disk. Out of the gate though, the 5.1 surround mix is fantastic.

This is an amazing disc, and I think really shows off what DVD-A and 5.1 surround can accomplish if done right. This disk was conceived from the get go as a 5.1 surround disk. Unlike many others that started as a 2 track, and were then remixed for added depth, image, sound field and separation. This disk is so much more than taking a background vocal, or wood block and moving it to the rear channel.

I highly suggest going to This Amazon link and listening to a few of the samples to see if you can live with the type of music. But if you have an open mind, and enjoy all kinds of stuff, or if you're just looking for really good 5.1 recordings no matter what the material and genre, and are more interest in the mix and experience itself.

Get This Disk!!!

Here are a couple of reviews as well.

Tipper-Surrounded Review

Another Review for Tipper-Surrounded

and yet another
Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

R&B/Hip-Hop DVD-A

Anyone buy R&B DVD-A's like Usher 8701 or R. Kelly Choclate Factory or HIP-hop Outkast-Stankonia? How is the 5.1 surround sound on these albums? This will be my first purchase of dvd-a's. . What is the difference with DTS Audio and regular DVD-A discs?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the links on where to buy DVD-A's
Old 06-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
Anyone buy R&B DVD-A's like Usher 8701 or R. Kelly Choclate Factory or HIP-hop Outkast-Stankonia? How is the 5.1 surround sound on these albums? This will be my first purchase of dvd-a's. . What is the difference with DTS Audio and regular DVD-A discs?
Both DVD-A and dts are in 5.1 surround (I have a few DVD-As and one dts). I can't tell the difference between them.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Love my TL

Can someone please direct me to a place where you can see the full list of DTS 5.1 music DVDs. Also can the TL play Music DVDs encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1

I found the list of DVD Audio discs and I am shocked to see such a limited selection considering DVD Audio has been out for a few years. Hell, when you go to Best Buy you see a whole row of SACD disks and only 15-20 DVD Audio disks. What gives? I hope were not dealing with another Beta max?
thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Advanced

http://www.dtsentertainment.com/music-featured.php

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/search.cfm keyword: DVD Audio
Old 07-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rs808
Also can the TL play Music DVDs encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1
No, the TL audio system will not play Music DVDs encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 (actually DVD-Video discs). It is possible, however, to convert such discs to DVD-Audio format using a collection of freeware and a DVD-Audio authoring package like Discwelder Bronze.

Look on www.doom9.org for info on how to convert.

Mike
Old 07-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Intermediate

I'll second, third and fourth that recommendation! The Frank Sinatra - Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie dvd-audio disc is tremendous. I never listened to his music in the past, but the disc included Basie, so I grabbed it. Plus, it may have been on sale at Fry's. Listening to the disc you feel as if you're sitting right in front of the stage with 'ol blue eyes. It's an amazing disc! No matter your age, if you have an appreciation for quality music and audio, get this disc.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Love my TL

Originally Posted by svtmike
No, the TL audio system will not play Music DVDs encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 (actually DVD-Video discs). It is possible, however, to convert such discs to DVD-Audio format using a collection of freeware and a DVD-Audio authoring package like Discwelder Bronze.

Look on www.doom9.org for info on how to convert.

Mike
Mike & Agent47
thanks for the info!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:24 PM
User name now jdb8805

TL won't play this
Old 07-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by jedblanks
TL won't play this
If not, then what have I been listening to in my TL for the past two months? The thumping heartbeats (could be my own from the fun of driving), the cash registers (could be the sound at the gas pump) or the clock alarms (could be waking me up).

Dunno if it's the TL's audio system, but it sure sounds better than the eight track I have of the album!

Old 07-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
It's the TL Audio system, and you are listening to the CD quality stereo layer, not the multichannel SACD layer.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by GaleForce
I have the following;

Blue Man Group
The Police
REM's best of.
Led Zeppelin - How the west was won. (2 DVD-A set)

They're all AWESOME.
I can only find a SACD version of Police albums. What title are you referring to and is it really a DVD-a?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Donald Fagen - "Night Fly"
Old 06-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Will this play in surround sound in our TLs?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

Dvd Audio Suggestions

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/
Search for
DVD Audio
press quick search
or
Search for
Diana Krall
DIANA KRALL-LOOK OF LOVE DVD AUDIO
14.54 including parcal post plus tax maybe 1.05 = $15.59
Bigger selection but slightly higher price
http://store.acousticsounds.com/
Diana Krall - When I Look In Your Eyes
DVD Audio $17.98
Like going on a wonderful vacation.
Some Super Audio CD's, Like Norah Jones "come away with me"
Sound so good with sub and all 5 speakers are just wow!
Almost can not belive it is stereo layer only because of the mix.
The regualr CD version in my 2006 acura is nothing like the super audio cd version
I know TL has no sony SACD decoder, so it can not be 5.1 but the difference in
sound, from the stereo cd version, to the super audio in my car is day and dark.
Enjoy you machine. It is awsome!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Sesquipedalianistically

I have the following DVD-A's:

Blue Man Group - Amazing; definately my favorite 5.1
Metallica, Black - Very poor quality - sounds like 2.0 + 16 year old mixing
R Kelly - Just like Metallica - crap
3 Doors Down - Pretty good
Tsychovski - Decent, but I just bought it to test it out

If you want some good quality sound, get the Blue Man Group - tracks 1, 3 (not a Dave M fan, but this song is good), 7, 11 (one from demo disk).

Best $18 I spent.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:09 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by marquis
Still looking for:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I don't beleive the one claim that the SACD version plays on a DVD-A player and I ain't gonna waste $20 to test it out)
There is a bootleg version of the original quadrophonic mix of Dark Side done by Alan Parsons, available in DVD-A format. Apparently it was "stolen" from the original master and posted to some torrent sites recently. See the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Si...he_Moon#Trivia for a brief mention in the trivia section for a reference.

I've listened to it in my TL, and it is awesome. It is *absolutely* surround sound (individual alarms in the back corners, the vocal chorus in the back, etc) and incredible depth and detail. Highly recommended.

As for another recommendation, I have the Beck album Guero (came in a double set with regular CD and DVD-A, got it even before I got my TL). It is quite good with some nice surround mixes on some songs.

enjoy
Jason.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
4th Gear

The DVD-As I have so far are two Nine Inch Nails albums. With Teeth and The Downward Spiral are on dual-disk wich is nice because one side is DVD-A and the other CD. One disk can be played in any system.

The Downward Spiral was a remastered album for DVD-A wich sounds good but not like the With Teeth album. On With Teeth, sounds/insturments are obviously coming from one speaker postition while a different instrument/sound is coming from another. It sounds like this was recorded for 5.1

I love this ELS system so far and am looking for other disks. Let's hear more opinions.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Instructor

"Professional review site for DVD-audio discs

I've got quite a few discs myself that I'll chime in about in a bit, but for now I thought I'd share this site with everyone... they extensively review quite a few DVD-audio discs. Being trained in music all my life I thought my ear was good... these guys obviously take things to another level. Check it out.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com

Quick Reply: Dvd Audio Suggestions