Is Dvd Audio Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Dvd Audio Really Worth It?

Hey guys, I was wondering if dvd audio really does sound that much better then regular cds. ALso, do dual disk cd's work on our dvd audio?
peace.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Team NightHawk VP

it sounds a litle better...quality is def better

its just awsome to show off
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 AM
6th Gear

DVD audio is definitely is better but it does depend on the type of quality sound engineering that goes into each track. I've been amazed from what I've listened to so far.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
The CD side of a Dual Disc should work; not sure about the other side. Be careful, though--a Dual Disc is thicker by a small amount and many manufacturers have warned against using them in existing players. I won't stick one in my TL. I've ordered the new Springsteen album on LP and will just copy it to a CD for use in the car.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD-A is completly worth it!!! You will hear music in songs you've heard thousands of times, that you've never heard before. The ambiance of the recording is picked up in DVD-A. For instance, in Chicago's DVD-A, at one point, I can hear a drum stick hitting the other drum stick when the drummer stops drumming, of course, it wasn't meant to be heard, and you can't pick it up on a CD. The separation of the sounds into 6 channels, is like taking the various insturments and giving them each their own place in the car. The restrictions are lifted, and really opens up the music. You feel like the musicians are right around you playing a concert! In a stereo recording on CD, the studio engineers have to compress a lot of the music to fit it in the 2 channel mode. The CD's for years have been critisized by audiophiles for having a "digital" sound, almost like metallic sounding highs. Some compression does that. With DVD-A, the high end is opened up, smoother, and lifelike. No compression is needed with this format, and it picks up the ambiance of the redcording that CD cant. Give it a try, you won't be sorry. In a moving car, the ambiance, is probably hard to pick up, but if your parked, with the car's engine off or if your listening to a home system, you can really pick up this part of the recording.

There are many posts on the Dual Disc worries. So far, I've not had problems with the NIN DD in the TL or anywhere else. You have to pay attention to the lables on these types of discs as others have said, as a lot don't have DVD-Audio on the DVD side. Many of them, usually the Sony's are DVD-Video on one side, and CD on the other, so these will work on the CD side fine in the TL, but not the DVD-Video side. The NIN has DVD-Audio on the DVD side, so that works great on either side in the TL. There are other titles out there that have DVD-A on the DVD side, so you just have to watch what your buying.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Once more into the breach

Put in the demo disc that came with the car..............
Old 04-27-2005, 01:58 PM
aw1
Pro

dual disc cd's works with our DVD-A on our cars. the quality of the sound is night and day compared to a cd.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Definitely worth it. The only drawback is the number/selection of discs that are available. But it's growing.

A good place to buy discs is www.dvdempire.com
Old 04-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Safety Car

Here's a site that will give you an overview about DVD-A, SACD and this one includes DualDisc. Listen to the demo disc and you can judge for yourself. As far as DualDisc goes, yes it will play in our cars, and for that matter hybrid SACD's will also. DVD-A is a hi-rez format and Sony's hi-rez is SACD. The DVD side will play only if it is DVD-A. A DVD-V disc inserted in the changer will indicate "FORMAT" on the display. Sony has opted to use DVD-V instead.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

I have become completely addicted to DVD-A. The sound both subjectively and objectively is substantially better than what you will find from CD's. The total amount of data is huge that can be held in DVD-A means you get a hire sampling rate, a much higher dynamic range, and a great SN ratio.

What you hear is incredible. You can here tiny transitions, as if the music was right there.

I'm not sure I can replace all 800 CD's I own, but then again I've ripped all of them via a Lossless converter onto three hard drives, and I create my own lossless CD's.

But I've picked and chose some good DVD-A's that fit my tastes.

And you'll really tell the difference between XM radio and the DVD-A's because of the fairly large compression algorithm used by XM.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:45 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
DVD-A can be spectacular if done well. The only problem with DVD-A is that the record companies basically stopped releasing many announced titles because of a royalty problem with the publishers (They wanted royalties for each track instead of just the disc).

However, lately there have been a few released, such as the Mark Knopflers, the R.E.Ms, the upcoming Jackson Browne "Running on Empty", and a few non-Sony label DualDisc (Rob Thomas for one)
Old 04-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
That Jackson Browne DVD-A has been upcoming for at least 18 months. I don't think they'll ever get around to releasing it.

The Knopflers, REMs, and Rob Thomas disc all sound very very good.

Mike
Old 04-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Just factoring in that DVD audio is 24 bit, and Cds are max 16bit(I think) you will definatly get crisper sound. As for channel rendering, it depends on the album. I heard Santanas is great.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by svtmike
That Jackson Browne DVD-A has been upcoming for at least 18 months. I don't think they'll ever get around to releasing it.

The Knopflers, REMs, and Rob Thomas disc all sound very very good.

Mike
Prepare to be shocked. It is coming out in May 24th as a Double Disc package, like the R.E.M. discs!

Spotted this over at musictap.com :

Here's the genuine scoop on the upcoming, and long awaited reissue of Jackson Browne's classic, Running on Empty. This seven times platinum road album with its coveted DVD-Audio 5.1 mix will finally hit the stage on May 24. It is mixed from the original multitracks and with Jackson Browne's full "hands-on" involvement. The booklet will contain indepth essays from Rolling Stone writers, Cameron Crowe and Anthony DeCurtis. This issue will contain the the previously unreleased "Cocaine Again." The DVDA will have 300 plus images on the disc. Here it comes, fans, here it comes but this time it arrives in a Double Disc package alá R.E.M.'s recent CD/DVDA packaging.

Jon Urban
www.quadraphonicquad.com
Old 04-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is and it isn't. It's worth it because it sounds soooo much better than CD. It's not worth it because the DVD-A selection is so small.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Instructor

I will say, because of the limited releases, I'm addicted, and am buying music I wouldn't normally, just to hear the sweetness of DVD-A. And I'm liking it! Discovering new music. It's a fun adventure.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

We have a family friend who had the government buy his hard drive design for stealth bombers. Since then he has become an audio file with an expensive recording studio. Next time we them I will try to get some more info on DVD-A and ask if he has renered any old CDs into DVD-A.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

DVD-A is one of the main features I love in my car. I just bought the Rob Thomas one in the store cuz i realized it was DVD-A DualDisc. Man does that sound sweet! Many artists are starting to release in the DualDisc format (I believe the new DMB album will be in DVD-A), like said above, sony is DVD-V, so watch out!

Also someone posted above that the discs are thicker.. they are actually the same thickness as a DVD, and will not hurt the TL CD changer at all, it was designed with this in mind.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just bought the Rob Thomas disc .. sounds AMAZING .. and best of all, you can compare the CD sound to the dvd-A sound by flipping the disc and re-loading it into the player -- you'll HEAR the sound difference w/ your own ears.

It's amazing. The sound separation on some of the songs is just incredible .. and the clarity is amazing.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:42 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Just bought the Rob Thomas disc .. sounds AMAZING .. and best of all, you can compare the CD sound to the dvd-A sound by flipping the disc and re-loading it into the player -- you'll HEAR the sound difference w/ your own ears.

It's amazing. The sound separation on some of the songs is just incredible .. and the clarity is amazing.
Ahhh. A voice of reason (from the early days too!)