DVD-Audio - Dual Layer Burn = Success

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile DVD-Audio - Dual Layer Burn = Success

No more 5$ coasters.

I just sucessfully completed a burn of a 8.5G DL disk and am happy to report it is working. Burning an audio-book to a DVD+R DL disk with more than 16 hours mono sound in one group with a few gig left over. The burn took 1/2 hour for a 5.2gig ISO file created with Adobeman's scripts and DVDA-Author.

For the next try I'll set up several groups of stereo CD-Quality music to see how many hours we can squeeze onto a DL disk.

Looking forward to cheaper and faster DL media. The disks are between 5 and 7$C and slow burning at 2.4x.

Pioneer DVR-109
Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x
Old 08-20-2005, 08:13 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Triggle, you da man ! That book better have been worth it. Glad my scripts could help

I've been holding off the DL since prices are high for media and "coaster" are easy to make. Looks like the future is getting brighter though. Still a premium price compared to just using 2 single layer disks but in the grand scheme it's just $5 or so a disc once you get the burners (which ain't that bad)
Old 08-24-2005, 04:53 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Thumbs up Most Recent Dual Layer Disk Burn = 14CDs on 1 disk

Dual layer DVD-Audio burn with stereo CDs = success

14 CDs in 8 groups
8,143,093,760 bytes - could have done a few more songs
12:48 play time - might be able to stretch it to 13Hours
158 tracks - this could be allot more as many of my disks have very long tracks up to 20 minutes.

One of the difficulties is knowing how large the ISO file will be so you can fill up the disk. I had to try a few times to get to a file size that would fit the dual layer disk and I had some space to spare.

Using groups is a bit of a nuisance. You have to hold the two buttons SCAN and RPT until it beeps then the group changes. You can't jump ahead say two or three groups you have to release the buttons after each group change. Also mentioned in another thread was it won't play all groups successively when the group you are listening to finishes it will change to the next disk not the next group even if there are more groups on the DVD. The Random, Scan, RPT, and CUE features are all group specific and limited to the current group.

On the flip side the groups offer a way of organizing music that might be hard to find on disks with more than 100 tracks.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:57 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent! I am expecting the arrival of my new DL DVD burner tomorrow, so I'm glad to hear our players will accept the discs.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Good news! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Instructor

great.
I'm going to try.

just let me understand the process...

create ISO file using adobeman's program like I have done in the past.

Then burn... my question is, do I need a specific burning program that will allow burning to DL. Yes, I have a DL Memorex burner and I've been using deepburner to burn the sl discs...
Will the same program burn the iso file DL??
If not, what program can I get to burn DL... and is it freeware??
The software that came with my burner, Nero Suite something or another.. does not burn iso files... not that I am aware of anyhow.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by triggle
No more 5$ coasters.

I just sucessfully completed a burn of a 8.5G DL disk and am happy to report it is working. Burning an audio-book to a DVD+R DL disk with more than 16 hours mono sound in one group with a few gig left over. The burn took 1/2 hour for a 5.2gig ISO file created with Adobeman's scripts and DVDA-Author.

For the next try I'll set up several groups of stereo CD-Quality music to see how many hours we can squeeze onto a DL disk.

Looking forward to cheaper and faster DL media. The disks are between 5 and 7$C and slow burning at 2.4x.

Pioneer DVR-109
Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x

I don't think this is necessary anymore........check out my thread for "DVD audio users..." and let me know what you guys think. IMO I think this device can be hooked up and like adobeman said, coasters are easy to make.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heat03
great.
I'm going to try.

just let me understand the process...

create ISO file using adobeman's program like I have done in the past.

Then burn... my question is, do I need a specific burning program that will allow burning to DL. Yes, I have a DL Memorex burner and I've been using deepburner to burn the sl discs...
Will the same program burn the iso file DL??
If not, what program can I get to burn DL... and is it freeware??
The software that came with my burner, Nero Suite something or another.. does not burn iso files... not that I am aware of anyhow.
Thanks for the help.
I use IMGBurn to make DL discs using Adobeman's script.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NERO 7 will burn double layer DVD
Old 10-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
NERO 7 will burn double layer DVD
Yes, but you have to pay for it (technically).

I used Adobeman's script, IMGBurn (free) with Fujifilm DL DVD+R with success.

I got six Dave Matthews Band concerts on one DL DVD.

Also, IMGBurn, unlike Deepburner, will tell you beforehand that the ISO won't fit.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:16 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by TLover
Yes, but you have to pay for it (technically).

I used Adobeman's script, IMGBurn (free) with Fujifilm DL DVD+R with success.

Also, IMGBurn, unlike Deepburner, will tell you beforehand that the ISO won't fit.
Nero also tells you if the ISO is too large to burn. The real issue is having to spend all that time re-creating a smaller ISO. That can be a significant amount of time for 8Gig DL ISOs.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

I saw someone in this (or another) thread mention Nero 7. I was looking at the site since I am eligible for a free upgrade (having recently bought Nero 6) and it explicity mentions the ability to make DVD-audio discs.

Its to be released on Oct 26 to the web, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Instructor

My Nero 6 does not burn any iso file... it is possible that I am just retarded, but I didn't see any option that let me burn an iso file... any size..

I will try the IMGBurn. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Heat03
My Nero 6 does not burn any iso file... it is possible that I am just retarded, but I didn't see any option that let me burn an iso file... any size..
In Nero Burning ROM SE, New Compilation, the first option is DVD-ROM (ISO).
Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover
What a waste.... (j/k)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rspoppel
I saw someone in this (or another) thread mention Nero 7. I was looking at the site since I am eligible for a free upgrade (having recently bought Nero 6) and it explicity mentions the ability to make DVD-audio discs.

Its to be released on Oct 26 to the web, I'll let you know how it goes.
I sent e-mail to the company some time ago and they specifically told me Nero 7 would not be able to do DVD-Audio. I think that it is possible to take mp3/wav files and use Nero to create a DVD-Video disc - however that won't playback in a TL. Nero 7 will be availble for download on Oct. 26 - if you discover that it really does burn DVD-Audio discs I hope that you'll let everyone know. That would be really cool.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Once you have an ISO just about any burner ap should be able to do it. Adobeman's script creates the ISO and you can then use Nero to burn the ISO.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bplayer
In Nero Burning ROM SE, New Compilation, the first option is DVD-ROM (ISO).
ok.. I am there (Nero 6).. do i just drop the MP3's to the DVD compilation? I did this and it didnt play back in the TL. Pointers please!
Old 10-22-2005, 08:14 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by klkitts
I sent e-mail to the company some time ago and they specifically told me Nero 7 would not be able to do DVD-Audio. I think that it is possible to take mp3/wav files and use Nero to create a DVD-Video disc - however that won't playback in a TL. Nero 7 will be availble for download on Oct. 26 - if you discover that it really does burn DVD-Audio discs I hope that you'll let everyone know. That would be really cool.

Kevin

I have NERO 7 for few weeks know and i can confirm you that it can't makes DVD-AUDIO , but this version is able to make DL DVD. It can only make DVD-VIDEO/AUDIO
Old 10-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by invincible569
ok.. I am there (Nero 6).. do i just drop the MP3's to the DVD compilation? I did this and it didnt play back in the TL. Pointers please!
To burn a ISO in nero, you just go to recorder and then burn image. This would require you to have actually created the iso in another program of course. What you did was create a new disc of mp3s using the ISO file format, which isn't going to do you any good.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 PM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

So has anyone figured out the absolute maximum amount of music that can fit on to one of these? 8.4GB? 8.3GB? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
do DVDs have CD text?

or dvd-text lol
Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

To both of you fellows: Nero or almost any burner application will burn an ISO image file to DVD or DVD-DL. Nero will NOT create the DVD-Audio ISO file for you since it knows nothing about DVD-Audio formats. You can use Adobeman's script to generate an ISO image file, then burn the .ISO file using Nero. You can also opt for a proggie such as DVD-Audio Solo or Discwelder.

- Discwelder is mostly for making 5.1 surround sound disks with very high quality sound files.
- Adobeman's scripts are for making giant sized CDs with up to 890 songs in STEREO not 5.1 Surround.
- DVD-Audio Solo - I have not used it but Adobeman has and said it is ok.

DVD has had too many confusing acronyms. I hope this helps a bit.

Disc formats - physical formats of writable DVD disks
DVD+/- R = 4.7Gig
DVD+/- RW = 4.7Gig
DVD+/- R DL = 8.5Gig
DVD+/- RW DL = 8.5Gig

Disc File Layouts - these can be saved as .ISO image files and burned to one of the Disc formats above.
DVD-V - Normal DVD for video
DVD-Audio - this is what we are after for the TL
DVD-ROM - uses a readable file system for PCs

????.ISO = a single file image of the diskdata + disk file layout info The ISO file may be stored easily on your PC but is usually

This list is far from complete and grows as the industry evolves.

Originally Posted by invincible569

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
I have NERO 7 for few weeks know and i can confirm you that it can't makes DVD-AUDIO , but this version is able to make DL DVD. It can only make DVD-VIDEO/AUDIO
Old 02-14-2006, 12:32 AM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Triggle, thanks for your reply, I have been burning DVD-A discs with Adobeman's instructions since last year. While very helpful, your answer isn't exactly correct and I guess I should have been more specific.

You cannot burn 4.7 GB of music onto a DVD-R using Adobeman's method. I think the most I was able to get was under 4.3 GB, which he does mention in his instructions. So my question is pertaining to the DL discs, using Adobeman's method, do you know EXACTLY how much is the maximum we can fit? I doubt it will be the full 8.5 GB, right?

Sorry, I should have been more detailed before.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:34 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by Ram4
Triggle, thanks for your reply, I have been burning DVD-A discs with Adobeman's instructions since last year. While very helpful, your answer isn't exactly correct and I guess I should have been more specific.

You cannot burn 4.7 GB of music onto a DVD-R using Adobeman's method. I think the most I was able to get was under 4.3 GB, which he does mention in his instructions. So my question is pertaining to the DL discs, using Adobeman's method, do you know EXACTLY how much is the maximum we can fit? I doubt it will be the full 8.5 GB, right?

Sorry, I should have been more detailed before.
RAM4
Please read the whole post including the quoted messages before declaring that I made a mistake. My post was not in response to your message but to invincible569 and sebounet2005.

I mentioned the physical space of the disks for information purposes only not as a specific answer to a question. Most people need this sort of help when they become exposed to the DVD world which has been a bad user experience from the getgo. If I can prevent one person from searching for blank DVDA disks (which don't exist) then I've succeeded.

The main point of the response was that Nero will in fact will burn ISO files of single or double layer. So DVDAs can be burned with Nero.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:59 PM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Ok triggle, I see that now. I'm used to seeing the quoted text at the top of a reply.

Would anyone have a specific answer to my question though? Do we have an exact amouth of GB that we cannot go past when burning a DL DVD?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:09 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Here is the theory

DVD-R Single Layer = 4.7Billion Bytes = 4.38Giga Bytes. The issue is that there are 1024 bytes in a Kb, not 1000. So that is why the capacity is typically referred to as 4.38 GB.

A KB = 1024 Bytes
A MB= 1024*1024 = 1,048,576 Bytes
A GB= 1024*1024*1024 = 1,073,741,824 Bytes

4,700,000,000 Bytes / (1,073,741,824 Bytes/GB) = roughly 4.38 GB

Since DVD-DL is 8,500,000,000 Bytes that works out to roughly 7.92 GB

Realistically I never push it to the edge. I'd rather be under by a bit than have to re-do an image.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:47 PM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Well, I finally tried a DL DVD-A after having success last year doing regular DVD-R discs for the car. The disc burned fine with Nero 6, but it would not play in the car. I'll have to retrace my steps and try again.

I am not happy as each DL disc is $4-$5 each, but practice makes perfect. For the record, I used Memorex 2.4x DVD+R DL (I use Fuji DVD-R for my usual DVD-A burns). I thought that our car accepts the Memorex?

By the way, as far as ISO file size, it looks like you want no more than 7.70GB of WAV files in your WAV folder as the ISO image process adds .20GB more data (roughly).
Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Instructor

I don't understand why the Acura TL sound system can't play .MP3's. My buddy has a POS car with an $150 aftermarket stereo and he loads a CD-R with 150 Songs in MP3 format and plays them randomly.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
A-SPEC TL

a little off topic ....but what is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Advanced

That is the only thing I hate about this car. I wish it would play MP3's. And no, I am not getting an IPOD. I have a SlimX 350 "discman", but it would require me to use the tape deck and that causes a wire mess.

Gammah

Originally Posted by palmultiacura
I don't understand why the Acura TL sound system can't play .MP3's. My buddy has a POS car with an $150 aftermarket stereo and he loads a CD-R with 150 Songs in MP3 format and plays them randomly.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Originally Posted by Klutch
a little off topic ....but what is the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r?
Yeah, way off topic.

The DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and -RW media formats are officially approved by the standards group DVD Forum. The DVD Forum was founded by Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi, and Time Warner, so it has tremendous industry support for its technical standards.

DVD+R ("DVD plus” R) and +RW formats are not approved by the DVD Forum standards group, but are instead supported by the DVD+RW Alliance. The DVD+RW Alliance is supported by Sony, Yamaha, Philips, Dell, and JP, so it also has tremendous industry support for its technical standards. Note that Sony supports both organizations.

According to the claims of the DVD Alliance, using a DVD+R/+RW recorder will let you do the following:

1. Instantly eject without having to wait for finalized formatting.

2. Ability to record one DVD disc partially on PC and partially on television.

3. Background formatting: while the disc is being formatted, you can simultaneously record on already-formatted portions of the same disc.

4. Enhanced ability to edit filenames, movie and song titles, and playlists.

5. 100% compatibility with all other DVD players, while still enjoying these extra recording features.

However, DVD-R discs are playable in far more DVD players than DVD+R discs.

Bottom line is, go for the DVD-R discs and chances are your disc will play in most machines.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've got a dual layer burner now and have tried a couple for the car. Once again, I had no success getting the TL to recognize + media. So, I made a DVD+R DL coaster but successfully made a couple of excellent DVD-R DL DVD Audios.

My advice is also stick with the -R disks.

Mike
Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 PM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Originally Posted by svtmike
I've got a dual layer burner now and have tried a couple for the car. Once again, I had no success getting the TL to recognize + media. So, I made a DVD+R DL coaster but successfully made a couple of excellent DVD-R DL DVD Audios.

My advice is also stick with the -R disks.

Mike
Ok, some questions for you.

What brands of +R and -R DL media did you use? I've never seen a DVD-R DL disc and some people on here have had success with DVD+R DL discs.

What program did you use to burn the discs?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Team Owner

Tried Memorex DVD+R DL media (which failed). The DVD-R DL is RiData - got 'em at the local Tiger Direct outlet for $48 per 25.

Used Cirlinca DVD-A Solo to create an .ISO, then burned it to DVD-DL with DVD Decrypter's write function.

Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

I was not able to find DVD-R DL discs back when I first started this thread. Your mileage may vary but here are some details about the +R DL discs I have sucess with:

Memorex DVD+DL 2.4x
sold in 3 pak
Works in TL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-D01-001]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : []
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
Old 03-25-2006, 12:46 AM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

This is getting frustrating. Some people are able to use the DVD+R DL discs in the TL and others (including me) can't. WTF?

I am out of options. I used Nero 6, then I got IMGburn, re-did my iso, everything burned fine, and not one of the 5 discs I've burned (Memorex and Fuji) will play in the car. I am seriously considering buying a new burner that can do these DL DVD-R discs. My Sony burner can't do them.

Time to make another coaster.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Team Owner

triggle - that's the exact media (except I have a cakebox of 50) that doesn't work in my TL.

Ram4 - I've got a Samsung DL burner that does both - and +R DL plus Lightscribe. It was $60 from Newegg.

Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 11:08 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Now if someone could just figure out how to burn a copy of the Navi's Dual Layer DVD
Old 03-25-2006, 05:34 PM
'05 5AT Anthracite Ebony

Thanks for the info Mike.

How about this - Are there any burner drives that play DVD-Audio discs?

Quick Reply: DVD-Audio - Dual Layer Burn = Success