DualDisc Releases

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DualDisc Releases

Found CC ad for DualDisc and will be in stores on Tuesday. Can't tell you what's on the flip side if it's DVD-V or DVD-A and as stated before, Sony Music will only release a DVD-V on the flipside of these discs. So if you decide to purchase, read the backside for more info.
Destiny's Child - Destiny Fulfilled (DVD-V)
The 5 Browns - The 5 Browns
John Mayer - Heavier Things
Switchfoot - The Beatiful Letdown (DVD-V)
Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys
Velvet Revolver - Contraband (DVD-V)
Usher - 8701 (DVD-A)
Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin

There is a list of new releases for February/March on the DualDisc Site. Sad to say DVD-A releases are few and far between.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give it a few months to a year... too many car companies have signed on with DVD-A for it to go gently into the night as of yet.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

i recently went to fry's and found some new DVD-A titles. the DVD-a title rack is growing bigger, if i remember correctly. Picked up a Dishwalla DVD-A, it's not bad.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Did anybody pick up any of those new dual discs? I'm curious if the dvd side will play in our TL with 5.1. More specifically the John Mayer dual disc. I was at Best Buy looking at the dual disc and on the back it said the dvd side has the entire album in 5.1 surround but it made no mention about it being a 'Dvd-Audio', so I held off buying it. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kindred97
Did anybody pick up any of those new dual discs? I'm curious if the dvd side will play in our TL with 5.1. More specifically the John Mayer dual disc. I was at Best Buy looking at the dual disc and on the back it said the dvd side has the entire album in 5.1 surround but it made no mention about it being a 'Dvd-Audio', so I held off buying it. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Went to CC and checked them out . All the ones I looked at and listed previously are DVD-V. They are recorded in 5.1 surround and will not play in our system. If you put the disc in the player, it will return a message that says FORMAT. Only discs with DVD-A on the flip side will play in the TL. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. There are no standards as to what the DVD side will be, some have DVD-A (Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral) and others will say DVD-V. Inspect the back cover and it will say either DVD-Audio or DVD-Video. Forgot to mention the price, would you believe $11.99 + tax and cheaper than some of the new releases. They will play in your home theatre system.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
From the titles I've seen listed for DualDisc, it seems the vast majority of those that have DVD-Audio on the DVD side were already released as stand-alone DVD-A's.

Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried Velvet Relolver's Dual Disc and No Dice. I think most of the flipsides are DVD-V right now (sigh).
Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 AM
VTEC HoooA

This is another glaring example of the facf that a lack of standards hurts the consumer! If the record companies all came on board and got behind one format it would allow rapid entry into the market and long term appeal. If you want to lay the blame for this on anyone all fingers point to SONY! Sony always insists on using a format that they invented, or are behind. Look at Sony digital cameras as an example of this (they only use Sony memory sticks which are almost twice as expensive as Compact Flash/SD cards of the same size). In addition they were on the wrong side of the VHS/Beta war, and now they are on the wrong side of the SACD/DVD-A war. Why they didn't approach car mfg's with the SACD format escapes logic, and now that DVD-A is instilled they will do everything to kill it. This is why I do not support Sony!

Can't wait to see where they end up in the BlueRay/HD-DVD war!!

Old 02-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Racer

I think the record companies are still trying to figure out whether they have to pay the artist royalties twice (once for CD and once for DVD content) on the dualDiscs. LOL... Thumbs up there A--
Old 02-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
This is another glaring example of the facf that a lack of standards hurts the consumer! If the record companies all came on board and got behind one format it would allow rapid entry into the market and long term appeal. If you want to lay the blame for this on anyone all fingers point to SONY! Sony always insists on using a format that they invented, or are behind. Look at Sony digital cameras as an example of this (they only use Sony memory sticks which are almost twice as expensive as Compact Flash/SD cards of the same size). In addition they were on the wrong side of the VHS/Beta war, and now they are on the wrong side of the SACD/DVD-A war. Why they didn't approach car mfg's with the SACD format escapes logic, and now that DVD-A is instilled they will do everything to kill it. This is why I do not support Sony!

THe first dual disc I ordered was a Sony remaster of the best Jazz recording ever "Kind of Blue" Miles Davis. I had to return the disc because it was CD/DVD-V
and no mention was made of the DVD format on the site from where I ordered the disc..A big crap shoot.
Unfortunately, I remember reading that Sony bought the rights to lots of good music that was recorded in the past and we will be unable to hear many great recordings because this music will never be released in DVD-A.
I agree with you "Nodoze" and will never give another dime to sony..
:angryfire
Old 02-13-2005, 01:07 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts

Excellent post, you sum it up perfectly!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Watch out for Sony/BMG Disks, they won't work nor anything with DVD-V
So if it has videos on it, it won't work

I figured I would start a list of what is compatible in DualDisc

DVD-A Compatible:
NIN - The downward spiral
Dishwalla DVD-A
The Donnas
Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any
Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Diana Krall - The Girl in The Other Room
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Toby Kieth - Shock'n'Y'all
Lee Ann Womack - Greatest Hits
Old 02-27-2005, 09:58 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Basically anything that is NOT on a SONY owned label!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

So the DualDiscs don't really work in the TL? I've got to wait a few days before I can test it myself. But I'll be disappointed if what some of you are saying is true.

According to what I just read though all DualDisc cds should have DVD-Audio on them.

Check out the PDF linked on the right of this page: http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technol...daud_intro.htm
Old 03-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Some will and some won't .. If it is put out by Sony / BMG then it won't work.

Others may or may not. You got to look at the small logos and print on the back.

Look at my posting further up, for ones that work. I didn't post the list of ones that don't work, because it was about 80% of the current releases.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
So the DualDiscs don't really work in the TL? I've got to wait a few days before I can test it myself. But I'll be disappointed if what some of you are saying is true.

According to what I just read though all DualDisc cds should have DVD-Audio on them.

Check out the PDF linked on the right of this page: http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technol...daud_intro.htm
DualDiscs do work in the TL. I have NIN Downward Spiral and it plays w/o any problems. As far as your second comment, it was originally planned that way. Even Sony BMG, one of the original backers of SACD now supports DualDisc along with Warner, Universal and EMI. However, Sony will offer surround sound via DVD-Video, not DVD-A and will still use SACD as their hi-rez platform. Leave it to Sony to F*** it all up. Now there isn't a standard as to what content will be on the DualDiscs. The independent record companies are your best bet for DualDisc with DVD-A on the flip side.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

I bought the American Beauty Grateful dead DualDisc and it works fine. I will tell you what guys we should be happy about this format. I am pretty sure that they are phasing out the straight up DVD-A disks if favor of the DualDisc format. It wasn't so long ago that these large companies would just drop a format with nothing compatible to replace it with. DualDisc's are cool. I Hope that as time goes on we have a bigger selection of music to choose from.
Personally I will buy any new stuff that I get on DualDisc, if they work in my TL great!! if they don't, I know that they will in the home DVD player at the enhanced resolution (192k 24bit).
What I am excited about is that some new records will be RECORDED at these higher resolutions and in 5.1 to boot.
I was driving to a movie last night with a friend last night and he (as was I) was very impressed with the clarity and clean sound that the system in the TL produces. It is really the best sounding Car I have ever owned.
Yaesumofo
Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Universal Music

Universal Music has a list of their titles in DVD-A format and dual disc.

go to http://consumers.umusic.com/ and you can pick dual-disc & DVD-A to see the available titles that they produce.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Problem is, so far, most of the DualDiscs are from Sony labels, and they refuse to do DVD-A or even HiRez on the DVD side.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear

It doesnt make sense that some Dual Disc music CD's play (in 5.1 surround sound) in the '04-'07 Acura TL's while others dont. You would think it was one or the other. I just bought Death Rows Greatest Hits in Dual Disc format and i get the "Format CD" language near the digital clock above my Navigation Screen. I can only play it on the CD side, otherwise my CD player spits the CD out. Does anyone agree that Dual Disc doesnt work for 5.1 Stereo sound? I might consider asking the dealer.

Any comments would be helpful
Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Safety Car

Here's my response to your other thread in the Audio & Video forum. I think you've been misinformed. First off, the ELS cannot play SACD and secondly it will play a DualDisc on the 2 channel side. The unit will not read DVD-V content and the flip side will only play if it has DVD-A content. You need to look very carefully on the back of label of the jewel box. Take note of the DVD logo, it will either say Video or Audio in some cases both. If you see the logo with Video only, chances are it will not play in the TL. There is no standard format as far as contents on DualDiscs.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
lol OWNED!

but seriously-

a list of dual discs w/ dvd-a would be awesome- and i bet quite small...

why this dead (but awesome) formats hardware is still being pushed makes absolutley zero sence to me...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deandorsey
lol OWNED!

but seriously-

why this dead (but awesome) formats hardware is still being pushed makes absolutley zero sence to me...
This site has a lot of info about 5.1 discs and hi-rez music which may or may not help. Anyway, Jon (oblio98) is a board operator.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by deandorsey
lol OWNED!

but seriously-

This site QuadraphonicQuad has a lot of info about 5.1 discs and hi-rez music which should be of some help. This page has a listing of DVD-A releases. Jon (oblio98) is the board operator.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Instructor

If you want to lay the blame for this on anyone all fingers point to SONY! Sony always insists on using a format that they invented, or are behind. Look at Sony digital cameras as an example of this (they only use Sony memory sticks which are almost twice as expensive as Compact Flash/SD cards of the same size). In addition they were on the wrong side of the VHS/Beta war, and now they are on the wrong side of the SACD/DVD-A war. Why they didn't approach car mfg's with the SACD format escapes logic, and now that DVD-A is instilled they will do everything to kill it. This is why I do not support Sony!

...not to mention Sony's woebegotten ATRAC audio format, complete with built-in drm, developed for Sony's woebegotten mini-disc and Sony's own solid state mp3 players/recorders, which also recorded to proprietary Sony format memory sticks, and demanded you install invasive Sony software, for which they lost, oh, I'd say about a billion dollars when Apple's ipod laid the smackdown on them (Sony even used "special" usb connections on some of their players), oh, and rootkits, anyone? How about that blu-ray standard cranking up the cost of the PS3 by about $200, and increasing Microsoft's market lead-time by about a year? I mean, it's like they want to be the consumer's enemy, and make sure every decision on a proprietary format causes anguish for the consumer, not to mention the inevitable loss of market share when it comes to software sales for these formats....drunkards, they are. That company is run by monkeys.

Sony engineering/build quality = really good
Sony marketing and product development = really bad
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Instructor

...oh, and I forgot the PSP! Sony's war on homebrew apps and their goofy new format for movies on the PSP does nothing but help cement their competition's staying power in the handheld market.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

I bought the latest Springsteen dual disc... did not work. It was DVD-video on the flip side. Some SACD are hybrids... they will work on SACD machines and normal CD players, but not in high res or 5.1. This is the way is is.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ezrapon
I bought the latest Springsteen dual disc... did not work. It was DVD-video on the flip side. Some SACD are hybrids... they will work on SACD machines and normal CD players, but not in high res or 5.1. This is the way is is.
Yea, that was discussed in a thread last year.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks Hawhyen51 for the link.

for
Old 03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post
Chevelle - This Type of Thinking Could Us In DualDisc: TL spits it back out
Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
05 TL

It sucks that there are not any new DVD-As.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by SHaFT7
Chevelle - This Type of Thinking Could Us In DualDisc: TL spits it back out
SONY - No DVD-A on the DualDisc DVD side