Need advice on a low cost audio upgrade

Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need advice on a low cost audio upgrade

I'd like to upgrade my stock TL audio system. I have an 04 non-navi and find the stock amp and speakers distort too much at high volume. Also don't find the stock subwoofer provides enough low-end base.

Any suggestions on a low-cost upgrade that I can easily do myself?

I can spend around $250 right now and would consider doing a staged upgrade. i.e. replace some speakers or add an amp now. Do further upgrades in a few months.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll definitely have to do a staged upgrade. I would start with an amp for your mids and highs then later move on to your sub if the distortion is your main issue.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ I don't agree with that at all.

Because distortion is your main complaint I would recommend relieving your front and rear speakers from the bass that they're trying to produce. The best upgrade you can make to a stock audio system is an aftermarket subwoofer. This will allow your factory amp and speakers to play the higher frequency range without the strain of trying to produce bass as well.

Get rid of that factory sub and buy a cheap 10" sub and box with a small amp. You'll be able to tweek your audio system so that it sounds good at higher volume.

Word?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Interesting ideas - thanks for the responses guys.

My experience with previous vehicles is that the stock amp does not have enough power to drive the speakers. In the past when I've added an amp I've found the stock speakers are actually quite decent a (they only distorted because the original amp was not powerful enough). I didn't have a subwoofer in previous cars so this setup is more complex. I see a big selection of amps in the $150 to $250 price range.

If I want to add an amp (and possibly a better subwoofer) can it be wired after the stock system - in essence the stock head unit becomes a 'pre-amp' for the sub? What about a powered subwoofer - does that sort of thing even exist in car audio?

Any advise on how to install would be also helpful and appreciated.

thanks DJ
Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/more-bass-keep-your-trunk-space-700287/

This is the kind of idea I had in mind.

uncald4 - where would you recommend putting the amp and can you suggest an amp (or at least the specs I should consider). What's the estimated cost to do what 'woo' did?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed my entire system the first month I puchased my ride. I would change my interior speakers first. They are cheap paper based speakers that sound horrible. Also, you are working with roughly $250 where there isn't much room to play with except for your interior speakers.

Here's what I recommend. Your first step is to get a decent set of interiors. For mid level interior speaker I recommend the JBL GTO638. They sound great and its a bang for your buck. You can get it for as low as $80 per pair. Later on you can always get an amp for your interiors and add bass.

I used to compete in sound competitions hence my username/licenseplate.