Disappointed with aftermarket subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Disappointed with aftermarket subwoofer

Put my 10" 300W powered subwoofer in my TL last weekend (nothing crazy, but imo it was the perfect volume and easy to install in my old car). My expectations weren't too high because I planned on getting the signal from the factory sub harness (instead of an aftermarket head unit like my old car).

However, even after setting the gain and phase properly, it comes nowhere near my already "low" expectations. Unless I have the bass boost knob turned all the way up, I can barely hear it from inside the car (sub is in the trunk, non ported but facing the back seats). I'm pretty sure the factory sub was louder... Not only does having it turned up all the way make the car rattle, it makes the bass sound really muddy/thumpy. It's ridiculously loud from outside and inside the trunk which leads me to believe the back seats are absorbing all the sound. Opening the seat pass-through helps a little, but it's still FAR from how it sounded in my old car.

I figured I'd seek advice from other TL owners with subwoofers before reverting it back to stock. Otherwise I could try an under-the-seat subwoofer, but I fear it would overheat quickly.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
simply put; the TL trunk isnt a good enclosure for a sub.
we have found the best setup is an ifinite baffle set up.
the IB setup makes the whole car the enclosure instead of just the trunk
Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
simply put; the TL trunk isnt a good enclosure for a sub.
we have found the best setup is an ifinite baffle set up.
the IB setup makes the whole car the enclosure instead of just the trunk
The factory sub is infinite baffle, no? Could I possibly upgrade it to a different 8" IB sub that doesn't require me to cut up the rear deck?

Last edited by ACURAte_tiTLe; 02-07-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
something wasn't installed right or setup right. i have single corner 10" in my trunk and people think i have a 12 back there. it's super crisp and sharp and is more than enough bass for me. it's super clean. i'm running my signal directly from the oem head unit.
i don't think you should be having the sub face the seats. make it face the trunk lid or the corners of the trunk.

but i believe something about your install isn't right, many people have had plenty of bass from a 10" in their trunk

it's extremely hard to find a sub that fits correctly in the oem location so i wouldn't even try that search haha
The following 2 users liked this post by sockr1:
dopeboy1 (02-07-2018), justnspace (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I have a heavy ass sub from an older install....but I dont want to install it in the TL.
maybe if I had a truck or SUV thing, I would be able too.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
sockr1 is right first try turning the sub around so it faces the back of the car, see if that helps at all
Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a 10 in small sealed box in corner facing me... Sounds good and loud enough... Try switching the wires to the sub around.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemk07
I have a 10 in small sealed box in corner facing me... Sounds good and loud enough... Try switching the wires to the sub around.
Yep this is where I would start. You may have frequency cancellation associated with phase issues. I know you said you have all of the electrical phase set but sometimes acoustical phase wins out in car audio environments. Can you please provide the model of your sub that you're installing?
Old 02-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Pro

You may also try tapping the rear speaker outputs for a full range signal as the subwoofer outputs may have a limited frequency band to protect the subwoofer.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tapped the low/high input converter into the stock sub but I didn’t connect the stock sub back and my after market hits super hard it’s shakes the car. I don’t even have the sub control half way up. And I have a super cheap setup, and it’s a sealed box
Old 02-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06.UA6SD
I tapped the low/high input converter into the stock sub but I didn’t connect the stock sub back and my after market hits super hard it’s shakes the car. I don’t even have the sub control half way up. And I have a super cheap setup, and it’s a sealed box
I decided against a line out converter and taking advantage of the fact my amp supports speaker level input. I also still have the factory sub connected. I'm going to try unplugging the factory sub and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bchester6
Yep this is where I would start. You may have frequency cancellation associated with phase issues. I know you said you have all of the electrical phase set but sometimes acoustical phase wins out in car audio environments. Can you please provide the model of your sub that you're installing?
Wires have been tried both ways, doesn't seem to make a difference. It's a Rockford Fosgate P300-10. Another person pointed out they had their factory sub disconnected. My factory sub is still connected. I'm wondering if the factory sub is cancelling out my sub because of it's placement. I'll see tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by Bchester6
You may also try tapping the rear speaker outputs for a full range signal as the subwoofer outputs may have a limited frequency band to protect the subwoofer.
Yup the filters probably aren't ideal, but it seems to have decent range and plenty loud in the trunk. It's just extremely quiet when in the cabin.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACURAte_tiTLe
I decided against a line out converter and taking advantage of the fact my amp supports speaker level input. I also still have the factory sub connected. I'm going to try unplugging the factory sub and see if it makes a difference.
I think that’s why you have low sound, you probably need a line out converter your amp may not be doing it’s jib right or you didn’t set the setting right, mine has an option for low, high or full range. Full range is really loud but I heard it’s not good on the subs. Also make sure there’s good contact on connections
Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Instructor

And also, I maybe be wrong but I think facing the subs towards the front won’t do much unless you have the opening in the back seat opened, if you have it closed, I would assume the sound just bounces back on to the box. If you face it towards the back, the sounds should would probably go up the rear deck where the speakers are at and make its way into the cabin
Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ACURAte_tiTLe
Wires have been tried both ways, doesn't seem to make a difference. It's a Rockford Fosgate P300-10. Another person pointed out they had their factory sub disconnected. My factory sub is still connected. I'm wondering if the factory sub is cancelling out my sub because of it's placement. I'll see tomorrow morning.
Definitely disconnect the factory sub.

If you face the sub to the rear you will have more issues of increased resonances and rattling through the trunk/lid/deck.

The rear seats dont have much effect on sub bass frequencies getting to the cabin.... The seats are good at blocking other noises from the trunk though... Just not sub-bass.

Last edited by stevemk07; 02-17-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Pro

A corner loaded or front/rear facing subwoofer with 300 watts should be more than sufficient for bass duties... something's not right here. Why don't you grab the signal directly from the OEM headunit and go low level/balanced signal (RCA) input instead of speaker level. Just requires some light soldering and if you don't feel comfortable doing that then here: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KISL/Kicker-KISL.html
Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I concur with Bchester6, The most proficient way is to tap the signal pre-wire. The front/rear signal is Flat, however, If memory serves me correctly, the pre-amp sub-woofer signal is NOT.

I started out wanting better sound, but keeping the OEM HU because of the difficulty of adding a aftermarket HU and loosing some features. I added Precision Power Amps, P1000.1 (Sub-woofer) and P900.4 (Tweets/Mids). Because output on the OEM HU was extremely low (less than 1V), I added a Line Driver. I also added the iSimple for Auxiliary input, and Image Dynamics for the Front Mids/Tweets. The Center and Rear speakers remained on the OEM Amplifier. My system sounded extremely good, but I felt it could be better. I personally feel adding additional pieces into my build introduced a little noise.

After some in-depth research here, and learning I could keep the OEM Navigation, I decided to take the plunge and add aftermarket HU with DSP for 2-Way Active. Must say, could not be happier. The installation was fairly easy because of all the guys before me providing photos of their install. I have all the Steering Wheel Controls to includ, On-Hook and Off-Hook to answer incoming calls. I did loose the center speaker, but it never played a role in my system.

In short, this is not intended to have you change your entire system, But I would look at adding a Line Driver (it won't break the bank) to increase the output from the OEM HU and tap pre-wire for a flat cleaner signal to go directly to your sub-woofer amplifier. Also, disconnect your existing 8" woofer in the rear deck area.

Please note, the OEM Head has an extremely low output level (less than 1V), Initially when I added aftermarket amplifiers, I added a Line Driver to increase the output.. I wanted to keep the OEM look so I keep the HU and added iSimple with the original HU and added aftermarket amplifiers. I keep the orig
Old 03-01-2018, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Can the line driver allow the stock radio to sound as good as an aftermarket radio If done right?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Are you asking about just adding a line driver and nothing else? If so, then no and it'd be pretty pointless.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 3GTLCHICK
Can the line driver allow the stock radio to sound as good as an aftermarket radio If done right?
The short answer is yes. I just recently upgraded to an aftermarket HU after rocking a base OEM radio that was wired to a Xtant P500a (line driver/EQ) -> Xtant 603x amplifier. This was done by taking the existing speaker leads and soldering on male RCA connectors. The sound was exceptional and I would've stayed all stock if I didn't need some time alignment and other little tweaks to achieve the exact sound I was looking for. You're looking for components and amplifiers that have "balanced differential inputs" so you can make this happen. This feature has been around for a long time to help integrate aftermarket products into an OEM environment.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Turns out it was interference, not from the factory sub, but from the rear deck speakers. I am 1000% sure the sub's phase was set correctly yet unplugging the rear deck speakers made the issue disappear. Anyways, today I got around to properly mounting the enclosure against the backseat with the speaker pointed through the pass-through and adding some sound deadening foam. Works perfectly now with the rear speakers hooked up again.