Completed Installation of Boston Acoustics SX60 in a TL 04 ( Front Door ).

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completed Installation of Boston Acoustics SX60 in a TL 04 ( Front Door ).

Hi guys,

First time I post on this forums, basicaly because I never had to Acura TL and now I just purchased a TL 04 Type-S. When I got it, the front left speaker was sounding like a trash can. Surfing this forum, trying to figure out what I can do and do it easily, I finaly purchased a pair of Boston Acoustics SX60 from Fortin in Montreal, Canada. Im still using the stock amp and didn't install the crossover and tweeter. I am waiting to choose my amp and do a full / clean install, thinking of Audison or Alpine.... Price tag versus quality is my concern here.

The Boston, even if rated 4ohm, still push as hard as the stock speaker. So if some of you guys just want to swap gradualy 4ohms aftermarket speaker over the 2ohms it doesn't compromise the previous sounds quality. However, I guest that more powerfull front component will play less louder since those Boston SX60 are only rathed 65RMS @ 4ohms ( Compared to the OEM 20RMS @ 2 ohms ).

I did choosed Boston SX60 for their particular Sounds quality which as less high end frequncy and a more natural ( none aggressive ) music reproduction. At Fortin in Montreal I have been able to hear at some Alpine, Boston Pro / Z and also some Hertz components which was pushing a lot of DB, but the SX65 was more pleasant to my hear and I definitively felt in love with them !!!!! Thumbs Up Boston !!!!!

Allright....... Serious stuff now.....

Installing the SX65 was a mess in my opinion .... I previously owned Honda Civic, Honda Prelude and Acura Integra.... and this Acura TL front 6-1/2" speaker hole as everything not "common" to easily install aftermarket speaker. I tryied so many things to get the SX60 into the hole without cutting the door metal of my newly aquired car without success. Basicaly the problem come from the fact that everything is tight in there, and using a cutted version of the OEM white plastic bucket plus the SX60 provided spacer to get the coils out of the small door hole get the speaker almost touching the grid...... So I had to get rid of those OEM White Plastic bucket that was holding the OEM 6-1/2 and get something more "Artistic" done out there !!! So I had to get my cutting tools out and my girldfriend locked into the bathroom to start "CUTTING" the car !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the speaker difference... in size.... the Boston is pretty small thanks to its Neodymium magnet but the casing is really bulky and that why I had to cut out the frame and get rid of those white plastic bucket !!!

Here is the two foam spacer, plastic spacer and those 3 really usefull clip that I used to get the speaker firmly installed in the newly oversized hole ! I used the OEM screw since they were a little bit longer than the one provided with the speakers.

Here is the plastic I get rid of........ Nice try Honda/Acura...... but they don't fit.......

From the lowered glass to the side of the frame we have a tight space of around 2-1/2" ( I will check again to make sure of this number when I will install my Dynamat ).

When using the white OEM plastic bucket, we got a small 1" space left between the grid and the speaker. if you don't use the bucket, like I did, you can free up 3/4" and use a plastic spacer + 2 foam from Boston without touble.

So here is my handy tools....... two of them died during the operation ......

I temporaly installed the spacer from boston to draw a line.

Slowly grinding the line with the Dremel, then moving back and forward to get a clean cut.

The left and lower part had to be done manualy since my Dremel died. We can clearly see how the edge is not as clean as the top one.

Here it is finaly installed !!!!!! Really stiff and the foam spacer provided with the SX60 made the installation thight and clean. Really need to get some Dynamat installed all around and especialy where I cutted the frame to avoid any rust and rattle. But there is no AMP attached to them, I can't hear any rattle.

Thanks to all of you who provided picture of their sounds system installation... that really helped me out !! And special thanks to Adobeman for you DVDA stuff !!!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good man! Nice job on the write up and install pics! It will help me when I decide to replace my speakers.....my front passenger side speaker doesn't sound the best anymore.