CD Player Failure. Are newer HU compatable with my '04?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
CD Player Failure. Are newer HU compatable with my '04?

On top of my recent amp problems, my CD player decides to die on me. It worked fine just a few hours ago. I went to lunch, sound was working, waiting for the CD to start, and then nothing. I think my CD player shut down my amp as my bad amp produces this really nice ringing sound when on. So my drive remained silent for the remainder of the drive. No audio (FM/AM/XM, CD, Navi, HFL) was working at all. I restarted the car, and everything seemed to be working fine. I figured out it was my CD player when I switched over again, and the audio died again. I turned off/on the car again, and tried to eject my CDs which worked. I tried changing CD's but it sounded like it was moving very sluggishly (almost inaudible). I put my CD back and, and like clockwork, all audio stopped again.

At this point, Im pretty sure its my head unit. I think I might have a source for one, but its from the newer models (07-08). I know the newer ones have a few more functions which can translate to problems for compatibility with my car. the changes im aware of in the new HU are MP3 CD capability, and the built in AUX jack.

Ive looked into a few threads, and I don't seem to be alone with this problem. Most people are recommending iSimples, but if i can just use a new HU that has built in AUX for more money, id probably go that route.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 06 with the same issue. I'm looking at this unit to replace it.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...84#details-tab

Also probably going to get an ipod connection running thru to the glove box.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

I had this same issue quite a while ago and accidentally got a 2005 head unit to replace the one that was in my 2004. When I say "accidentally", I mean that I was shopping for a 2004 head unit (since I knew it would work), and I didn't want to pay the stealership for one through them. So I bought one off of here from an AZ member which I *thought* was a 2004 HU.

I remember reading here on AZ that they wouldn't work with the HFL system, since the pin connector had the connection for the microphone/navi voice input (if you have it in your TL, that is) in a different place on the connector.

I plugged it in, and to my astonishment, it worked perfectly. I can hear the navi voice through my speakers (people said I wouldn't be able to) and everything else.

I'm not sure about 2006-07 (I'd like to know too, since I'd love to have the same features you're talking about ), but if worse comes to worst then you know you can at least get a 2005 unit. Makes it easier to track one down since you won't be limited to just one specific (and increasingly harder-to-find) model year of head unit.

Hope this helps! And good luck!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
there is a place in VA that can fix the CD player for a few hundred last time i checked. www.carradiorepair.com They do good work from what i understand and they pay for shipping there and back.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Good luck going aftermarket

..you'll need it
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Check on ebay. There are always units out there. Just make sure it comes with the code.

Even if it doesn't, you could always swap the cd portion of the HU.

I am pretty sure that 04-06 are identical, never heard of the HFL issue but I could be wrong. I think 07/08 added ability to read digital format.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks for the reply's guys. Im probably going to end up with an ebay unit. there is a guy local to me parting out a base 08, but he hasnt been too helpful with my other requests, saying that it wasnt worth the money for him to sell the parts I wanted...

My only concern is that alot of the ebay auctions for HU mention that theirs are non navigation based. "TL 04-06 AM-FM-cass-CD/DVD6, US mkt, w/o Nav sys". Im going to try look up the part numbers to make sure they are the same for non navi and navi alike. Even so, I cant imagine swapping the CD player would cause an issue between navi and non navi.

As far as www.carradiorepair.com is concerned, ill trying shoot them an email. Im not sure what you ment by "few hundred", but if it cheaper then buying a used HU from ebay, id probably consider. Im a little hesitant to buy a head unit from a car with more miles than mine that could be right around the corner from braking.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I kept my same HU when I converted my TL to factory navigation (06).

A 'few hundred' to repair sounds excessive.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It costs $300 to get a new one shipped to your door. Brand new in the Acura plastic with new code stickers. There are a couple threads on it. I nearly lost the codes which would be a real bummer considering I couldn't just go down to Acura and get them anymore.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you dont have a problem de-pining the current connector that goes in the back of your radio now and you can get the 07-08 connector from the local guy, de-pin it and then plug the wires from your 04 into the 08 connector in the right locations then yes you can install the newer radio. Then you will have mp3 and aux input maybe other features, cant recall. You will need schematics/drawings of the 04 and 08 connectors. VERY simple to do. Here are the schematics... lmk what u do. I only have the 06 and 07 schematics but i do believe they are the same, be sure to confirm this before you wire it up provided you go this route...

06 TL

07 TL

Last edited by Mjakaz09TL; 02-02-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Added schematics
The following users liked this post:
Sutitan (02-06-2012)