Carputers guys! I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Carputers guys! I need opinions

So finally got done with classes for the summer and I'm going to install a carputer. I'm going to order a pre-built model from Ebay with pretty good specs, 2gb ram running xp figure all that should be good my question is how to get the video.

Im going to (eventually) keep the factory input but I'm completely 50/50 right now whether or not to keep the stock and buy a VGA to RGBS. Or if I should buy a new touchscreen and buy one of those arcade hobbyist RGBS to vga converters.

PROS of Stock: 1) Perfect fitment in dash, I'm pretty anal about spaces where there souldn't be 2) It would be relatively easy to keep factory touch screen input, although not a biggie, joystick is right there. Again I'm pretty anal about non functioning buttons.

PROS of Aftermarket: 1) Way better resolution 2) the touchscreen has got to be way more responsive ~09 compared to something made most likely in 2004

I did a navi conversion, pretty much just for this about a year ago. I'm pretty busy. I got the navi clock displaying everything I need, and I even have another stock touchscreen (missing the touchscreen) I will probably stow away in the middle of the dash if I go aftermarket. If I do that, money-wise it will be the same price because I could just sell my fully functional stock navi screen for the same price as a decent monitor.

Does anyone know of an 8 in touchscreen that fits perfect in the navi bezel? Also whats the most secure way to mount it?
The VGA to RGBS I am looking at is the size of a standard computer card, all specs match up to our cars, could something this small deliever the quality I expect (readable text)?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I will try to turn this project into something worthy of the garage, I just get so excited I forget to take enough pictures to be useful.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if I'm allow to post this outside the market place, but I have a carputer with specs equal to those you're looking for that I'm about to pull out of my Integra, since I won't need any entertainment in the track car

Also, from experience, let me add another pro to stock: reliability.

I used Lilliput monitors for years and I've been through 4. Of course, my integra is dropped pretty substantially.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It would definitely be a Xenarc if I went aftermarket. I think I am going to bite the bullet and stick with the stock screen. A guy on ebay has what looks to be a decent converter that I need. Hopefully I can get scan converter quality and not navtool quality.