carpc help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I found it, it's on the in-dash website.

Looks like it uses the cd changer port. I've got a ipod interface on mine right now. It had the same limitation with Navi equipped TL's.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I need to find a way to USE the Car2PC modul and still get the 5.1 thru computer !!!??
Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there should be a way to do it to get the 5.1, but most sound card on the pc have 6 jack on there 1 jack for linein 1 is for mic . so you have to get the other 4 jack for speaker out to the HU.

my working progress is about to begin. after i change my oil on monday i will start taking my old LCD apart while i still waiting for the psu and my pc hardwer parts.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
I need to find a way to USE the Car2PC modul and still get the 5.1 thru computer !!!??
Since there is no 5.1 line/tos/coax inputs to out head units, it's impossible to be a plug and play solution.

If there was a way to input 5.1 to the computer, then you could implement a little easier.

The other consideration is, how is the sound quality coming out of a computer.

I am still gathering hardware myself, but I am thinking of taking the 5.1 output of the computer and feed it to the amp/speakers. The stock HU will interface to the computer (stereo only) and anything 5.1 will come from the computer, not the HU.

I know with this route, I can't control the volume/channels/modes using the steering wheel controls. I am looking at my options there but have other stuff ahead of it.

VmtSquad - How is your install going? Have you relocated you stock displays yet? The weather up here has been crazy! What Dec gave us for snow is all gone! Hope things are progressing well for you.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Your Dvd-a Player Is 5.1 Sound. That The Only Thing You Can Get The 5.1. There Isn't Away To Get 5.1 From Computer To Hu. Even You Use An Amp You Can Only Get 2 Channle Still.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:11 AM
"Advance"

Getting 5.1 from the computer is not a bad idea but it is kind of complex. Its a nice challange that I will take inconsideration when my install will be at 100%.

Thanks guys for helping me out, I definitly think that there should be a carpc section to that Audio Section.. 2cents

KN_TL - All the 12+ cable are past to the trunk, I really dont wanna mess up so Im hard on the plannification. Also I need to be ready to install it in a short period of time. My stock LCD extensions are ready and my TV is almost totally mounted to the bezel. I really dont wanna miss a step here...... Its all about the details

Im playin a lot with my skin DigitalFX2.0, trying to adapt the colors to my interior. Dont worry you guys will be the first to see my install.

Its planned for this winter...so its coming
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RTLNOOBIE
Your Dvd-a Player Is 5.1 Sound. That The Only Thing You Can Get The 5.1.
Yep, that's true.

There Isn't Away To Get 5.1 From Computer To Hu. Even You Use An Amp You Can Only Get 2 Channle Still.
That's true too. But the 2 channel limitation is because of the input limitation of the HU, not the amplifier. It has 5.1 inputs.

My thought was going the other direction. Feeding 2 channels from the HU to the computer and then output 5.1 from the computer into the amplifier.

The only thing that bugs me is that I will lose the function control of the volume and such from the HU and steering wheel.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:37 PM
"Advance"

Thats a hell a of price for getting 5.1 IMO !!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Thats a hell a of price for getting 5.1 IMO !!!!
Agreed. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Yeah.. It One Way Or Another.. You Only Can Have One....stay Tune To My Process..this Thursday I Will Get My Opus Psu And Lcd Vga...my Computer Is Shold Be Come Long Next Week..cuzz They Mess Up My Address. Im Kinda Of Mad At Them Too...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 PM
"Advance"

Keep us updated buddy!!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Instructor

OK I just revieve my LCD VGA today. and wonder to power up the lcd do i cut the power adapter that came with it. and conect the + wire to the orange collor from opus psu?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
do you have a meter??? you should really be testing your wires before splicing in.... for the power cord to the LCD i cut the cig adapter wire... the inner wire is your + and the outer wire that wraps around the inner loom is your ground... i tapped that into one of the 4 pins coming out of the Opus...

if i am not mistaken, your 12+V should be yellow and 5+V is the red wire... and obviously black is ground... test it first...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

yeap... the yellow is 12+V... look at my taps...

Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor

thanks. that what i was thinking to do after i post it..connect the 12v from lcd to the 4pin. another way if i connect the monitor to the 4 pins the monitor don't shot down before the computer.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Instructor

i finish with my first step, puting the LCD in is great seccess. but unhappy with the stock LCD. i try to relocated to the ash tray but it seen doesn't fit right and doest look perfect as everyone TL.

next is hot glue to the place where is the ash tray use to be.

look good at this point.. but waite next picture is very ugly. help me fix it!

help please! doesn't look good at all. gap up and gap on the bottom. and the lcd cover is not straight and right due to my cutting.

when i try to put everything back in the car to test it out.. the radio is kinda sit on it. is this happen to every one?

stay tune to my next step.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

i got my lcd out. now im stock. how do i remove the outer clear screen?

did you try to insert it from the rear of the bezel so that your clear screen does not overlap like that??? it should go from behind and the trim should sit on top of it... if your radio sits on top of it, i would shift it down to close up the bottom gap.. once you get that in, then worry about filling in the gap later...
Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Instructor

I kinda did mine a little differently. I didn't exactly attach the LCD board to the shift plate per say. Everyone else I think actually trimmed the bottom left/right corners of the stock LCD board off, I started doing that also but it still wasnt giving me a good enough fit, so instead of cutting off more LCD board (this was kind of nerve racking to do) I just cut "slits" in the AC duct that goes to the back of the center console and that allowed the LCD board to sit down further.. I don't care about the rear vents, no one is ever back there anyway, and barely any air escapes from the slits anyhow.. Also you want the stock LCD to sit "behind" the bezel. Then you have to get a sheet of plexiglass and cut a piece to fit in the front of it and paint it to cover the LCD board. (the "green" part)..
Old 01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
"Advance"

ya plexi glass is your friend here, For myself ....I wont use the STOCK PLEXI I will design a ONE PIECE plexi that will cover the stock LCD and give an OEM look.

Im also wiling to fabricate a surounding bezel with some 660 dynatron.

Keep us updated with pictures !!!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
"Advance"

i finish with my first step, puting the LCD in is great seccess. but unhappy with the stock LCD. i try to relocated to the ash tray but it seen doesn't fit right and doest look perfect as everyone TL.

What did you use to fix the TV on the bezel ? pics?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Instructor

What did you use to fix the TV on the bezel ? pics?

first i use X-acto nife(the one in the middle.) slide it along the side until it get tin enough then poke through with x-acto knife to make room. then use the other knife(left) poke it again then slide it down slowly. keep doing on each side. make sure you do it from the front bezel. then for in the side. i use the cuting tool (right). cut all the stuff that in the way of my LCD.. don't cut the plastic where that screw need to go back in.

here the back after new LCD in. i forgot to tooke a pic when i cut it.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLAYER6669
I kinda did mine a little differently. I didn't exactly attach the LCD board to the shift plate per say. Everyone else I think actually trimmed the bottom left/right corners of the stock LCD board off, I started doing that also but it still wasnt giving me a good enough fit, so instead of cutting off more LCD board (this was kind of nerve racking to do) I just cut "slits" in the AC duct that goes to the back of the center console and that allowed the LCD board to sit down further.. I don't care about the rear vents, no one is ever back there anyway, and barely any air escapes from the slits anyhow.. Also you want the stock LCD to sit "behind" the bezel. Then you have to get a sheet of plexiglass and cut a piece to fit in the front of it and paint it to cover the LCD board. (the "green" part)..

got a pic where you cut it? and with your plexigalss?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Instructor

got a pic where you cut it? and with your plexigalss?
I don't have the pics of the stock LCD at the moment, but if you wanted to do it the same way, you basically just figure out how you want to attach the stock LCD down there and get the position it's going to be in, then just make a small slit the ducting right there. I put some electrical tape around it to keep the air from escaping and nothing really even comes out. Having the stock LCD resting down inside the duct also keeps the LCD in place on the bottom, once you attach the connectors from the extended wires it basically stands up on it's own since 3 connectors are on the top, but is obviously not solid. I'm not sure how everyone else fit the stock screen in by cutting only the screen beacuse it was pretty tight.

I have a pic of the plexi I cut, this was my first attempt when I did the install back in September, but I actually JUST redid the bottom screen this past weekend and I unfortunately didn't take any in progress pics.. Here's a pic of the plexi to get an idea though. You just cut little channels on all 4 corners of shifter bezel and slide the plexi down in place. Make sure you bond it in place some how (I used epoxy) beacuse on my first attempt I didn't and after I put the panels back together the plexi slid up leaving a gap.

http://www.thirdgenfbodies.com/images/P1010025.jpg
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Instructor

thanks..SLAYER6669
im going to have to try that attemp.once i got this stock LCD in place im good to go.

next step is to put all my pc part together. and work that pc magic.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM
"Advance"

So your TV is simply LOOSSE in the metal case???
Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a pix of the back of the plastic bezel. It gives you an idea of how much needs to be cut out for the new touchscreen. My touchscreen sits snuggly in the metal housing and does not move around. I used a dremel, a file, and fine sandpaper to open up the hole.

Here's a pix of the LCD. The bottom corners are trimmed to make it fit in the lower compartment.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
"Advance"

As you said your TV is "snuggly" in the metal housing. That meens your TV isnt really fixed. It simply hold with the pressure of the housing???

For myself I really want 2 find a way to FIX the TV in the metal housing and THEN fix the housing with the Stock screws on the bezel.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Instructor

mine sit in the metal case titely. due to i run the VGA cable behind it throu the old lcd harnes hole. on the other hand, my new LCD barely have enough room to go in the metal case.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by King of Pain

Here's a pix of the LCD. The bottom corners are trimmed to make it fit in the lower compartment.

this been cut at the corner? maybe i didn't see it? ,but i cant find any mark from cuting from this picture.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Instructor

I didn't actually attach the Xenarc to the bezel either. It does fit snug in the stock housing and has no where to go in terms of up/down or side to side, but the screen would have slid back in the case and not stay pressed up against the plastic bezel. I just took a tiny block of wood (you can use just about anything you want) and attached it to the metal housing behind the screen to prevent it from sliding back.. I just did trial an error until I got the right thickness, you can't have something too thick or the housing wont fit back together.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Instructor

this been cut at the corner? maybe i didn't see it? ,but i cant find any mark from cuting from this picture.
I think he just meant that he trimmed the corners later on, but that picture doesnt show it. I did trim mine a little bit on the two bottom corners, but I couldn't get a good fit and I was afraid to cut more off so I just went with my previously mentioned method. I'm not the best at fabrication
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 PM
"Advance"

damn seems like theirs alot of aziners who are installing a CARPC at the same time....sad we are all so far away
Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

That's a picture b4 the trimming.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

damn seems like theirs alot of aziners who are installing a CARPC at the same time....sad we are all so far away
I've had mine in my car since April. No major problems with it. I take out the PC monthly (sometimes) upgrades and tuning. I mostly use it for music and navi. I'm waiting for the next Digital FX upgrade to do some more tuning.

It's great to see others jumping on board the CarPC express.

I'm glad to help wherever I can.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Instructor

i plant to do mine 2 years ago and never come up with enough$$ until now. and took me at lease three week to gather info. without you guy in here i would be still searching and reading. thanks.!!! im like 45% done with my work. i think what take most of my time was extented the LCD wires i just done with two of the climate control( left and right). and still have two more for that in the middle. on the pc side i can just spent the max is a day to work on. im thinking taking out the whole AC duct for the back seat out and cap where right behind the radio that way i have planty of room for stock LCD.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
"Advance"

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I've had mine in my car since April. No major problems with it. I take out the PC monthly (sometimes) upgrades and tuning. I mostly use it for music and navi. I'm waiting for the next Digital FX upgrade to do some more tuning.

It's great to see others jumping on board the CarPC express.

I'm glad to help wherever I can.
Yep Im using digital FX me to. Its a really nice skin. Do you have some experience with skin editing? I want to change the FONT COLOR in the skin to match the BLUE from the gauges.

I imported the skin in RReditor but didnt found a way to edit TEXT
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Opus Setup

HERE figuration. so i bundle all the yellow wire and connected it all at once to the + with 30A fuse from the battery and the all the black wire at once to ground?. and red to IGN turn on? am iright? and the blue just leave it..because im using the 4 pin plug to power up my LCD screen. correct me if im wrong. thanks.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

i think u reversed your red and yellow wire...
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

OK,

Here are some more pixs of the way I have mine wired. The quick disconnects help alot

This photo shows the small green/white wire at the botton left corner of the opus that is connected to the motherboard power switch pins

This is where the green/white goes on my motherboard. Notice the ribbon cable is pulled off. This ribbon is put back on when I use the regular desktop power supply and use the front button to turn the computer on.

The blue wires are banded and sealed. The Black wires (Ground) are banded together and soldered onto one main cable. The Yellow wires (Positive) are banded and solder together soldered into one cable. These two go to my fused distro block, same as the amps. The red (Remote on) and orange (12v) are together but wired in different directions in the car. The red is sent to the same remote turn on as the amps. The orange is wired to the LCD. I also have the remote wire switched in my car center arm rest compartment. I use this switch to turn the computer and amps off/on if I'm moving the car around briefly (driveway into garage type moving). Also as a valet switch so they don't mess with my stuff.

Does all this help?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep Im using digital FX me to. Its a really nice skin. Do you have some experience with skin editing? I want to change the FONT COLOR in the skin to match the BLUE from the gauges.

I imported the skin in RReditor but didnt found a way to edit TEXT
I would like to learn skin editing, just too little time to do things. I've seen some previews of the new Digital FX, it will have more customization that before. I'm good at building and configuring PCs. Car audio installs/fabrication too.

I just finished building my wife a new PC for christmas. An AMD dual core with 2GB of memory and twin 250GB SATA drives in a raid and an ATI midrange video card. Nothing fancy but it looks nice. She likes white and purple

Quick Reply: carpc help