Caller Id on HFL

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caller Id on HFL

So I am from Canada and I have my Blackberry Curve paired to my 05 TL. Whenever I get a call, it just says "Incoming Call" on my display.

I noticed when I drove to New York last weekend and was roaming on the AT&T network that when someone called it actually showed the number of who was calling.

Anyone know why this might be?
Is it just because the US is better than Canada? lol
Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

I'm sorry but the first thing that comes to mind is : blame it on Canada
Sorry I can't help, I just got an Acura and I was surprised that when someone calls and is in your phonebook, his name is not displayed...
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ArieS1204
I'm sorry but the first thing that comes to mind is : blame it on Canada
Sorry I can't help, I just got an Acura and I was surprised that when someone calls and is in your phonebook, his name is not displayed...
The same thing came to my mind.

But OP, can't help you either. That is odd though. Maybe it has something to do with the phone service itself. Maybe you should call your service provider and ask them. Doubt it would be a problem that Acura would be involved with, but then again, who knows.

ArieS1204, it is quite annoying that names are not displayed.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by baby boi gsr
I noticed when I drove to New York last weekend and was roaming on the AT&T network that when someone called it actually showed the number of who was calling.

Anyone know why this might be?
Is it just because the US is better than Canada? lol
Some members here in other threads a couple of years back noticed that the number display would show up in certain areas of the US, but not others. I think the conclusion was that it was how the cell transmission towers/repeaters were set up rather than the phones or the TL mid display.

and as to and -
Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
It depends on where you are and where the caller is, just like with your caller ID at home. If the caller is from an area where there is no caller ID service, you won't see a number displayed. Different phone companies do it different ways, too. For example, I routinely get calls from people in Florida at home where the number displays but the name just says "FLORIDA." (Gee, that's helpful.) If I get a call at home from someone with no caller ID info, my Bang & Olufsen phones say "Unknown number" and my Sony phone says "OUT OF AREA." In the foregoing examples, if I were using the HFL, the Florida caller's number would show up and the other caller's number would not.

Regarding the names of people in the phonebook not showing up in the MID, how could they show up? You voice-record the names, so there's no way for it to display them barring the addition of speech-to-text software (which would be a waste of money, IMO). Now, perhaps they could alter the HFL so that if you use the "announcement" option instead of the "ring" option it could say, "You have a call from John Smith" or whatever, where "John Smith" is the name you recorded (it would play in your voice). My Bang & Olufsen answerphone is capable of doing this at home via the "voice caller ID" feature—if I record a name for someone, it will say that name when they call. (The reason for putting names in the answerphone is that it lets me have one greeting for designated "priority callers," another for regular callers, and I can also block up to ten callers for whom it will just play a busy signal.)
Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
It depends on where you are and where the caller is, just like with your caller ID at home. If the caller is from an area where there is no caller ID service, you won't see a number displayed. Different phone companies do it different ways, too. For example, I routinely get calls from people in Florida at home where the number displays but the name just says "FLORIDA." (Gee, that's helpful.) If I get a call at home from someone with no caller ID info, my Bang & Olufsen phones say "Unknown number" and my Sony phone says "OUT OF AREA." In the foregoing examples, if I were using the HFL, the Florida caller's number would show up and the other caller's number would not.

Regarding the names of people in the phonebook not showing up in the MID, how could they show up? You voice-record the names, so there's no way for it to display them barring the addition of speech-to-text software (which would be a waste of money, IMO). Now, perhaps they could alter the HFL so that if you use the "announcement" option instead of the "ring" option it could say, "You have a call from John Smith" or whatever, where "John Smith" is the name you recorded (it would play in your voice). My Bang & Olufsen answerphone is capable of doing this at home via the "voice caller ID" feature—if I record a name for someone, it will say that name when they call. (The reason for putting names in the answerphone is that it lets me have one greeting for designated "priority callers," another for regular callers, and I can also block up to ten callers for whom it will just play a busy signal.)

BANG & OLFUSEN IS THE SHIEEETTTTTTTT... one of the best sound system IMO is in the new AUDI A5.. crazy..

going back to the issue.. i have a Nokia N80.. it doesn't show the name but always does show up the number.. even if they are not imported into the phonebook. I live in Vancouver BC
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Caller ID is phone dependent...if your phone is capable of transferring battery and signal strength, it should display the numbers of the callers.

The only thing I hate about HFL, is when I'm driving, and I need to make a phone call thru my phone, it will not go to HFL automatically, and I don't hear any rings at all. (the transfer option is annoying, as people on the phone, get confused)
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Haha. I have the same phone and it's amusing.

In Toronto, the number shows up, in Ottawa and the smaller cities (Brockville, Kingston, Waterloo, London) it doesn't show up. It's some weird funky thing with the cell phone towers. I blame Rogers.

It also depends on who's calling..some numbers are blocked therefore you can't see the numbers.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Cruisin'

which other phones work well with th caller ID feature on HFL?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

samsung is great. iPhone is terrible.