AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/)
-   -   BT45-HON3 bluetooth streaming (quick install) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/bt45-hon3-bluetooth-streaming-quick-install-953015/)

williamv_ovoxo 12-31-2016 01:57 PM

BT45-HON3 bluetooth streaming (quick install)

9 Attachment(s)
This is just a very quick and easy way to install your HON3 unit. I chose to install it in the trunk to my XM Tuner unit. I have a 2006 TL w/ Navi. I learned that if you have a 2007 or 2008 TL then you need the BT45-ACU not the BT45-HON3 (double check that info). The unit comes with clear instructions with how to install but this is just a quick and I repeat QUICK write up DIY whatever you wanna call it, with photos. The operation/set up is easy to do.

Here are some photos of the BT45-HON3 Unit to familiarize yourself with 2pages of instructions
Attachment 40808
Attachment 40809
Attachment 40816

If you are installing this unit in the trunk then you do not need this cable it's already connect to the harness just remove it. You only need it if you're going to install it to the back of the radio. it should be labelled as "CAS-H3t"
Attachment 40810

Here is the photo of where the XM Tuner unit is located in the trunk of you 2006 Acura TL with Navi with the carpet and everything else removed. Removing the carpet is very simple and quick.
Attachment 40811
Attachment 40812

Now just reach your hand in and unplug the factory harness from the unit.
Attachment 40813

Next connect the original XM tuner harness into the 14-pin female adapter of the BT45-HON3 unit as shown
Attachment 40814

Then Plug in the 14-pin Male connecter of the BT45-HON3 into the XM Tuner. The connection is the exact same size as the original connection to the XM tuner. Since you can't see what you're doing you need to just feel it out but it should go right on in. When you finish plugging in the unit the instruction manual tells you how to set your dip switches (the dip switches are shown in the 2nd photo of this write up) which should be 1&3 ON and 2&4 OFF
Attachment 40815

and WALLLLAAAAHHHHHH! All you need to do now is just mount the BT45-HON3 Unit some where in the trunk where it won't be damaged. The unit comes with a microphone that you need to run all the way from the unit to the front of the car in order to use the Hands-free calling on the unit. Call audio comes in from the unit to your car speakers but your voice will not be heard unless you plug in the microphone. You can also connect the auxiliary cable and run it from the back of the car to the front of the car which is what I'm in the process of doing, soon.. lol Then just put your carpet back into place and you're done. When plugging in the unit to the XM tuner to make your life easier you can unscrew the XM unit but thats completely up to you! I chose not to!

hpcacura 03-19-2017 03:17 PM

Cool writeup, thanks! Do you know if the factory handsfree calling still works? This would negate the need to run the microphone wire to the front of the car (I"m looking for SIMPLE!).

Le7316 03-24-2017 08:54 AM

so I guess whenever you streaming , you are using your data from your phone ?

jzhu625 03-24-2017 10:33 AM

i'm thinking to order this but how does "LIVE TRAFFIC" work?

swimgeek44 03-25-2017 04:42 PM

So I got the unit plugged in the rear last weekend and loved having it to play music and audiobooks on commute! My tape player broke, and the FM tuner Bluetooth thing I got was terrible.

today I pulled apart the car more and ran the microphone, but there wasn't enough length to get it to the rear view mirror. Ugh. Right now it's kind of clipped below the tape player on one of the little cubbys.

im hoping to extend the cable, cut the mic off, and hook into the mic that was used for HFL at some point. Gotta have goals!

anyone else try to hook into the HFL mic?

hannamand 04-04-2017 09:54 AM

This is awesome, thank you. I've been thinking about ordering one of these, but can't seem to find any videos on function or install (for our cars) on YouTube. All this time I've been thinking it hooks up to the back of the radio.

donkiboy 04-07-2017 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimgeek44 (Post 15986806)
So I got the unit plugged in the rear last weekend and loved having it to play music and audiobooks on commute! My tape player broke, and the FM tuner Bluetooth thing I got was terrible.

today I pulled apart the car more and ran the microphone, but there wasn't enough length to get it to the rear view mirror. Ugh. Right now it's kind of clipped below the tape player on one of the little cubbys.

im hoping to extend the cable, cut the mic off, and hook into the mic that was used for HFL at some point. Gotta have goals!

I also installed the BT45-HON3, and plan on attaching the mic. Would you say that it's long enough to at least reach the steering wheel column?
Tapping into the existing HFL mic line seem like a cleaner setup only if I knew where that was located.

swimgeek44 04-10-2017 09:42 PM

Probably, just install the box more towards the front and don't leave slack. And don't button everything up until you figure out how far it can go haha!

williamv_ovoxo 04-10-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimgeek44 (Post 15986806)

Sorry for the late response, I installed my microphone in the upper left hand corner of the windshield and just tucked in the wires in the dash in between the cracks and they are completely hidden. I've tested the microphone and it sounds very clear and do not have to speak loud for it to pick up my voice.

axesd 05-28-2017 08:17 PM

After reading this write-up, I am going to buy the unit now. I got two questions thou

1. What's the cleanest way to hide that microphone? (How to route it cuz I don't really know my car lol)
2. I can still buy a long enough AUX jack to play music right? Which channel will it be and how long do I need to get that AUX cable?

Thanks!

Dingo 06-02-2017 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by hpcacura (Post 15982604)
Cool writeup, thanks! Do you know if the factory handsfree calling still works?...

This question was never answered and I'm wondering the same thing... all I want to do is add Bluetooth streaming capability from my iPhone - is this the wrong product?

axesd 06-04-2017 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by williamv_ovoxo (Post 15926227)
This is just a very quick and easy way to install your HON3 unit. I chose to install it in the trunk to my XM Tuner unit. I have a 2006 TL w/ Navi. I learned that if you have a 2007 or 2008 TL then you need the BT45-ACU not the BT45-HON3 (double check that info). The unit comes with clear instructions with how to install but this is just a quick and I repeat QUICK write up DIY whatever you wanna call it, with photos. The operation/set up is easy to do.

Here are some photos of the BT45-HON3 Unit to familiarize yourself with 2pages of instructions
Attachment 40808
Attachment 40809
Attachment 40816

If you are installing this unit in the trunk then you do not need this cable it's already connect to the harness just remove it. You only need it if you're going to install it to the back of the radio. it should be labelled as "CAS-H3t"
Attachment 40810

Here is the photo of where the XM Tuner unit is located in the trunk of you 2006 Acura TL with Navi with the carpet and everything else removed. Removing the carpet is very simple and quick.
Attachment 40811
Attachment 40812

Now just reach your hand in and unplug the factory harness from the unit.
Attachment 40813

Next connect the original XM tuner harness into the 14-pin female adapter of the BT45-HON3 unit as shown
Attachment 40814

Then Plug in the 14-pin Male connecter of the BT45-HON3 into the XM Tuner. The connection is the exact same size as the original connection to the XM tuner. Since you can't see what you're doing you need to just feel it out but it should go right on in. When you finish plugging in the unit the instruction manual tells you how to set your dip switches (the dip switches are shown in the 2nd photo of this write up) which should be 1&3 ON and 2&4 OFF
Attachment 40815

and WALLLLAAAAHHHHHH! All you need to do now is just mount the BT45-HON3 Unit some where in the trunk where it won't be damaged. The unit comes with a microphone that you need to run all the way from the unit to the front of the car in order to use the Hands-free calling on the unit. Call audio comes in from the unit to your car speakers but your voice will not be heard unless you plug in the microphone. You can also connect the auxiliary cable and run it from the back of the car to the front of the car which is what I'm in the process of doing, soon.. lol Then just put your carpet back into place and you're done. When plugging in the unit to the XM tuner to make your life easier you can unscrew the XM unit but thats completely up to you! I chose not to!

I have such a tough time to unplug the factory harness from the unit..any tips?

Originally Posted by Dingo (Post 16030391)
This question was never answered and I'm wondering the same thing... all I want to do is add Bluetooth streaming capability from my iPhone - is this the wrong product?

I believe you have to use the mic that come with it. Button should all work

mazen222 06-09-2017 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dingo (Post 16030391)

Per the product spec, this unit will maintain all original features. You can even use the steering wheel musci controls with it
I think i'm going to get me one!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ad23dfa363.png

mazen222 06-09-2017 10:24 AM

Alright, i just bought it... $150 CAD off amazon, pretty good compared to $250 USD stock price. Looking forward to install it.

djlars3 06-09-2017 04:12 PM

Installed the ACU version in 2008 TL and it works great. So nice to still have all the steering wheel functions and to be able to see the name of the song and artist on my nav screen.

DjKeebz 06-09-2017 06:57 PM

I just got an '05 TL with navigation Do you have to have the livetraffic subscription for this to work?

djlars3 06-10-2017 01:11 PM

No you do not. Just install into xm module in the passenger side of trunk and your ready to go.

mazen222 06-13-2017 12:25 PM

Do you guys know how to check the firmware/software of this unit? I would like to ensure that i have the latest version.

thanks,
MM

mazen222 06-16-2017 09:01 AM

So i contacted USA-Spec and using the code on the module they were able to tell me that i do not have the most up to date software in my unit... they suggested i return it to where ever i bought it and buy a new one from their recommended distributors. I've asked what's the difference in the software have and the latest one so see if it's worth it... I'm waiting for a response.
I must admit i dont full buy this story from them... but we'll see what their response is.

horseshoez 06-16-2017 09:03 AM

Just curious; who did you buy your device from? I'm about to pull the trigger on a BT45-HON3 from Amazon.

mazen222 06-16-2017 03:53 PM

I bought it off Amazon from Naturalsound.
USA Spec came back with this:

The software upgrade allows the BT45-ACU to run more smoothly. In addition it resolves some of the unexpected issues, such as muted audio

i will try to return it and get one from their distributors:
The best way to guarantee you buy the latest one, is to …

1. buy it from our only online authorized reseller https://www.crutchfield.com/p_581BT4...g&awug=9031227

2. a car-electronics specialty retail shop with our product in stock. Or…

3. Directly from us.

It doesn’t only guarantee you are getting one with the latest software but it also gives you a full 1-year warranty (from purchased date).

​​​​​​

truonghthe 06-16-2017 04:04 PM

does any one experience with the BT45-Acu has static noise come from the front tweeter?

mazen222 06-27-2017 07:21 PM

So after many back and forth with the manufacturer, it turns out that these units require software updates from USA spec. Unless you buy it from their authorized dealers they refuse to provide the software updates for free.
With that being said, i would stay away from them. I am returning my unit to Amazon and will not purchase from USA spec ever again due to their very poor customer service.

marty.zigman 09-29-2018 02:47 AM

I just posted a thread on how to install this unit in a 2006 MDX. The left rear panel removal was difficult. I hope it helps others.

robowarrio 09-29-2018 01:07 PM

Did mines about a month ago.. Went with USASpec from Crutchfield just because of the warranty if I run into any issues..

What a huge upgrade for me! Very happy with it!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...71e194f55c.jpg

ghernz 11-25-2018 12:53 PM

Have a couple of questions?

2006 TL Navi with tape deck: Will this still work if Navi hard drive is not working “cd error”?

2007 Mdx with cd: Will this still work with HF disconnected “HF drains battery when connected”?

NIL8er 03-14-2019 03:11 PM

Hello alll, ive put this unit in my 3g 06 with navi and cant figure out how to still get my XM to work. Have a subscription but blue tooth takes over both xm1 and xm2 fuunctions. tried all combinations with the little switches on the hon 3 but no luck. Anyone know how to remedy this, im pretty sure i read somewhere its possible to retain XM function with this unit.

truonghthe 03-14-2019 09:10 PM

If you switch to XM2 then all the channel still there... I got Acu and Hond3 and all of them works like it should be.

horseshoez 03-14-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by truonghthe (Post 16398287)
If you switch to XM2 then all the channel still there... I got Acu and Hond3 and all of them works like it should be.

Not that I really care as I don't use XM, but my BT45-HON3 does the same thing, both XM1 and XM2 are blocked by the USASpec device.

NIL8er 03-21-2019 03:19 PM

Hmmm mine doesnt . the blue tooth is there. ive installed it in back to the xm tuner and directly to the radio. Must be a XM issue?

horseshoez 03-21-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by NIL8er (Post 16401361)
Hmmm mine doesnt . the blue tooth is there. ive installed it in back to the xm tuner and directly to the radio. Must be a XM issue?

I doubt it is an XM issue, my XM worked perfectly before I put the BT45-HON3. That said, I don't use XM so I don't really care. The only reason I know the XM works is because I did a 3-Month trial, didn't like it, and bought the HON3 immediately after the trial period ended.

truonghthe 03-21-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16401367)
I doubt it is an XM issue, my XM worked perfectly before I put the BT45-HON3. That said, I don't use XM so I don't really care. The only reason I know the XM works is because I did a 3-Month trial, didn't like it, and bought the HON3 immediately after the trial period ended.

I will take a pic or video later show my 05 which has HON3 work perfectly fine between BTA and XM radio.

NIL8er 03-21-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16401367)

So i take it .....YOU DONT CARE?

horseshoez 03-21-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by NIL8er (Post 16401503)
So i take it .....YOU DONT CARE?

You think?

Hiryuu 04-20-2019 06:15 PM

Thanks, this is very helpful as my HFL just went bad

Slpr04UA6 04-29-2019 03:45 PM

So this unit will work with a non Navi TL? Plugged in the same way (in trunk to XM)? Do you retain any steering wheel functions? What is the benefit of putting it behind the head unit up front? I really don’t care to hook up the mic for HFL....if that makes it easier or harder...:shrug:

Slpr04UA6 05-01-2019 05:47 PM

Anyone?

I guess for the Bluetooth capability (and ease of use), it’s between this and the USA spec.....from what I’ve read. Thanks for any input for a 2004 non Navi....

truonghthe 05-02-2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6 (Post 16419915)
Anyone?

I guess for the Bluetooth capability (and ease of use), it’s between this and the USA spec.....from what I’ve read. Thanks for any input for a 2004 non Navi....

yes this will work even your TL is a non-Navi model, for people who has XM subbed they retain the XM radio while enjoy BT streaming. Beside plug in the XM is easier to install compare to remove the radio.

Slpr04UA6 05-02-2019 09:46 AM

^Thanks!

I’ll make sure to purchase through an authorized seller! :smile:

Storm 06-10-2019 01:05 PM

Will this work if my Navi is not working?