BT45-ACU and HandsFreeLink

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 07:56 AM
2024 TLX Type-S

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
BT45-ACU and HandsFreeLink

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question anywhere (including from the manufacturer directly), and am hoping that one of you can help out here.

I'm looking at getting a USA Spec BT45-ACU module solely for streaming music via my iPhone 6S; I do not intend to use this device for phone calls. My question is, can I still answer phone calls using the steering wheel controls on Acura's HandsFreeLink system while my phone is connected to and streaming music via the BT45-ACU? This is for an '07 TL-S.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I think technically you should be able to, but why? The USA Spec lets you answer calls with steering wheel controls by hitting the channel up to answer, and channel down to ignore
Old 04-24-2016, 06:27 AM
2024 TLX Type-S

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
I think technically you should be able to, but why? The USA Spec lets you answer calls with steering wheel controls by hitting the channel up to answer, and channel down to ignore
I don't want to install their microphone in my car, and would rather use Acura's built-in system for that. Another TL owner on Amazon already confirmed that it'll work the way I want it to on Amazon, so I'm all set.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
NTP66 .... Did the USA Spec happen to work flawless with your Type-s?
And if it did, where did you install it. Trunk or behind the head unit?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 AM
2024 TLX Type-S

Originally Posted by Hugo2go
NTP66 .... Did the USA Spec happen to work flawless with your Type-s?
And if it did, where did you install it. Trunk or behind the head unit?
For the most part, yes. I installed it in the trunk, connected directly to the XM unit, and am only using the bluetooth music streaming function of the BT45. My iPhone connects to Acura's HandsFreeLink for phone calls (using the steering wheel controls like normal), and music starts streaming immediately when I turn on the radio to the XM input.

The only caveat to this install is that sometimes streaming doesn't start up immediately, and I have to actually press play on my iPhone's music app to get started, and from there can use the car's controls, but that's a minor point.

If you go that route, I would definitely suggest turning off the voice prompts on the BT45 (it's in the instructions), as they get annoying quickly.

In case it helps, I edited somebody else's trunk shot to show exactly where the XM unit is in the TL-S:

The following users liked this post:
Hugo2go (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you so much for the info.
I had the iSimple in my TL-S, and it was such a piece of sh*t.

I will definitely go this route.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugo2go
Thank you so much for the info.
I had the iSimple in my TL-S, and it was such a piece of sh*t.

I will definitely go this route.
I've been using the BT45 strictly for music streaming (old iPhone 4) and the cars HFL. Never had any problems.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NTP66
For the most part, yes. I installed it in the trunk, connected directly to the XM unit, and am only using the bluetooth music streaming function of the BT45. My iPhone connects to Acura's HandsFreeLink for phone calls (using the steering wheel controls like normal), and music starts streaming immediately when I turn on the radio to the XM input.

The only caveat to this install is that sometimes streaming doesn't start up immediately, and I have to actually press play on my iPhone's music app to get started, and from there can use the car's controls, but that's a minor point.

If you go that route, I would definitely suggest turning off the voice prompts on the BT45 (it's in the instructions), as they get annoying quickly.

In case it helps, I edited somebody else's trunk shot to show exactly where the XM unit is in the TL-S:

Do you happen to know if this is the same for the standard 3G TL, not the Type-S?
Old 06-29-2016, 07:29 AM
2024 TLX Type-S

Originally Posted by philnguyen712
Do you happen to know if this is the same for the standard 3G TL, not the Type-S?
The image I used is actually from a base TL (with XM and GPS), so yes, it'll be in the same exact location regardless of model.