Bluetooth/HFL question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluetooth/HFL question

Instead of the default be that it automatically links up with the phone every time you get in the car, I'd rather have that be a manual option.
So either I could go into my phone and turn the link on if I wanted to use HFL or if someone calls I can say "transfer" after I answer it and it would go to HFL. That would be slick - there when you need it and not when you don't.

Is it even possible to not have it automatically connect?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can easily turn the bluetooth off in your phone...and when you are on a call, and would like to switch to your car handsfree, you can turn on the bluetooth link on your fan and transfer. simple as that.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

I just realized something - in order for the transfer function to work you have to be A) already connected to bluetooth and B) in the middle of a call. If you're not connected to bluetooth and someone calls you, you can't transfer them to the car. So much for my bright idea of only being connected when you need it. Half the time that would be during a call which it doesn't look like you can do. Hmmm...this is almost enough to make me not want to use it at all. A shame too cause it seemed like such a neat feature of the car. I can think of so many reasons why I'd rather have my phone act like a regular phone and only a few where HFL would be good.

Phone needs to act normal when:
- text messages come (so it rings)
- windows are rolled down (too much wind noise for HFL)
- you only need to talk to someone for 20 seconds
- people are in the car and you don't want to broadcast your conversation to everyone
- you want to save battery life...bluetooth sucks the juice out of my phone!

HFL is nice when:
- you are having a long conversation with someone by yourself in the car

Would definitely be nice if it was off by default and you could make the connection with the flip of a button (and/or voice command) - especially during the middle of a call.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
you can easily turn the bluetooth off in your phone...and when you are on a call, and would like to switch to your car handsfree, you can turn on the bluetooth link on your fan and transfer. simple as that.
Btw, I find it's difficult to turn off BT while HFL has established the connection btwn HFL and BT phone. Mine are T610 and K700i.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't you just have the phone and HFL connected all the time. When you want to place a call direct from the phone you still can and when you have an incoming call you can still just pick up the phone and answer it bypassing the HFL.

I know placing calls from the handset works, but I have not tried answering the phone from the handset. I don't see why that shouldn't work.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Instructor

I can't place calls from my handset when it's in bluetooth mode. When I've tried I couldn't hear anything in my earpiece even though it said I was connected. And I'm 80% sure I can't answer them with it either...have to double check that one. I was under the impression that bluetooth all but knocked out handset usage unless you relinquish control back to it by disabling bluetooth or transferring in the middle of a call. Maybe different phones behave differently too. I have a Motorola V600. With the V600, it disables all sound - ringing and earpiece when connected.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure it worked for me. I have a Motorola V551.
There were some problems with my phone draining the battery, so I'm getting the firmware upgraded on it today. I'll give this a shot after the upgrade and see if it still works.

Originally Posted by millerrh
I can't place calls from my handset when it's in bluetooth mode. When I've tried I couldn't hear anything in my earpiece even though it said I was connected. And I'm 80% sure I can't answer them with it either...have to double check that one. I was under the impression that bluetooth all but knocked out handset usage unless you relinquish control back to it by disabling bluetooth or transferring in the middle of a call. Maybe different phones behave differently too. I have a Motorola V600. With the V600, it disables all sound - ringing and earpiece when connected.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Moto V551 & HFL

Originally Posted by TRK9
I'm pretty sure it worked for me. I have a Motorola V551.
There were some problems with my phone draining the battery, so I'm getting the firmware upgraded on it today. I'll give this a shot after the upgrade and see if it still works.
I have used the handset to call when linked to HFL. Sometime I need to call a number in my address book that I don't have in the TL's address book, and not having the number memorized, I just pick up the handset (although I usually stow it in the lower compartment in the center console).

I set up a shortcut to manually turn on and turn off the Bluetooth when I approach / depart the TL. The Bluetooth will 'beep' as you leave the car about 30 feet away, reminding me to turn off ther Bluetooth. I have left the Bluetooth on and my phone was dead by the end of the day. My second safety net was to but an desktop charging stand for the office. I park the Moto on it while in the office so it is always fully charged when I leave the office at the end of the day.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Instructor

I can place calls from my headset while it is hooked up to bluetooth, but I just can't hear anything. It's like the bluetooth connection gets rid of all ringers and earpiece speakers. I figured out a way around my delema. If I manually have bluetooth on my phone turned off all the time, I have to go turn it on to hook it up to the car. I made a shortcut on my phone to do that with minimal button pressing. So if I want to make a call on HFL, it is pretty easy. The only thing I can't do it is receive a call regularly and then transfer it to HFL. It's good enough for me though.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm Baaack!

I have the SE T637. I have not noticed an excessive battery drain and I keep bluetooth on at all times. (Usually battery will last 3-4 days if I'm not on it that much)

It pairs seamlessly, and I have been able to call from the handset while paired ... I think it automatically went to the car and I had to "transfer" back to the headset, but I'm not certain about that.

I'll play a little with that on my way home tonight.